Menu

Let's move to another country game!:)

Murphy101

So here are my requirements in any country I'd like to consider moving to should I ever be wealthy enough to have the choice about where I live... Anyone want to play along? All good natured. Really. :)

1. Home schooling must be legal.

2. English must be commonly used. (It doesn't have to be the native or legal language, but I need to be able to buy groceries, iykwim? I'd be willing to learn the language, but I can't presume I'll have an aptitude.)

3. Catholicism must be accepted. (Again it doesn't have to be the native or majority, but I need to be able to raise my kids catholic without fear of arrest or something.)

4. 2nd world is okay, but I need reliable and safe medical facilities and pharmaceuticals. A universal healthcare is preferred, but not necessarily a requirement.

5. Can't handle extreme cold or heat. So most of Africa and all of Canada and Russia are out. Seriously, it got down to 52' last week and it felt like needles were piercing my hands repeatedly. I'm too old for cold weather! LOL *sigh* (editing to bold this bc seriously, it is painful to be cold. It's not just that I don't prefer it.) and dh absolutely hates constant temps above 95' and sneezes watching the kids mow the yard. It is what it is. He absolutely loved Costa Rica though and says he wishes we could stay there.

6. Employment for no citizens or dual citizens. I can't imagine getting rich enough to retire anywhere, so I'm presuming employment is going to be required.

7. Free country. I'm leaving that open. I'm not interested in communist china or the red Dawn vision for Greece. (Darn shame that, Greece property is dirt cheap right now and it's beautiful country. But nope.)

So... Suggestions?

So far everything I research just boils down to might as well stay with the devil I know. :/

But if my dad doesn't kick the bucket soon, he plans to deed his stuff to my brother and move to either Panama or Belize. He just got his passport and such in order before the shutdown.

2. English must be commonly used. (It doesn't have to be the native or legal language, but I need to be able to buy groceries, iykwim? I'd be willing to learn the language, but I can't presume I'll have an aptitude.)

You'll find English spoken in a lot of countries by a certain percentage of the population. It will be more likely that your doctor will speak English than a grocery store clerk. You only need to learn some very basic language to buy groceries. Please, thank you, how much is this and the numbers will pretty much do it. You do need someone to show you how to buy groceries though. It isn't the same everywhere.

6. Employment for no citizens or dual citizens. I can't imagine getting rich enough to retire anywhere, so I'm presuming employment is going to be required.

This is a deal breaker. Countries love foreign residents who bring cash. They don't need more competition for low wage jobs. If you can't live on your savings, it would be very hard to get a visa for just about any country.

Well we moved north of the border last year and I thought I was going to DIE in the middle of the winter ;) but believe it or not I've acclimated and this year, even though it was 30F when we left for swim practice the other morning, I haven't even gotten out my "warm" clothes yet.  I am kind of dreading the snow.  I know it will be here sometime in the next two weeks.  On the plus side, my kids are going to start to learn ice hockey.

This past summer was gorgeous.  It don't think it ever got above 88F :)  Of course I could be wrong... I'm not very good at converting from celcius in my head...

You do need a work permit.

And moving won't help with taxes etc.  Uncle Sam follows you no matter where you go :(

Did you see the thread about the boy genius from Mongolia?

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/488160-nyt-the-boy-genius-of-ulan-bator/

Did you see the thread about the boy genius from Mongolia?

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/488160-nyt-the-boy-genius-of-ulan-bator/

Uhoh. I think you misunderstand the reason for holy moly? Outer Mongolia is literally between Russia and China, which I'm betting is frigid a good deal of the time. Ouch.

Where as timbucktu is only frigid half the time. I was making a very lame joke of sorts.

I'm sure either place has smart enough people and I do rather like the idea of a nomadic life, but books are difficult to carry via camel.

Colombia would fit most or all of your requirements. Many people here can speak English, but as a previous reply mentioned, that's more likely to be your doctor, than the cashier in a supermarket. We live in Cali, Colombia's 3rd largest city. The average temperature here is approximately 78 F. I doubt that it can go below 58 F. (possibly not that low) and our average high temperature is 86 F. We are in our "Summer" (dry season) now and my CRT has shown, on a few days, 90 F. at the airport. To be hotter than that would be incredilby unusual. We have no heating or airconditioning equipment in our house so no bills to pay for running or maintaining that equipment.

I would strongly AVOID places where there are a lot of foreigners. That would include Costa Rica, Guadalajara/Lake Chapala Mexico, etc. The reason for that is that the foreigners drive up the prices and you may be much more apt to become the victim of crime. And, not unfrequently, the criminal is another foreigner...

I was planning to move to Mexico, and I made 2 trips to Venezuela in 1991. I had never considered moving to Colombia. The first times I came here, it was for other reasons. I moved here 18 1/2 years ago...  Because of recent events in Mexico, I am thankful that I did not move there, and there were things I was aware of in Venezuela, in 1991, that eliminated that country from consideration, and that was years before Hugo Chavez...

We have excellent medical care available (one of the best hospitals in Latin America is in Cali), almost everything we eat is fresh, and we are very close to Miami, FL, USA (1565  miles, which is much closer than Los Angeles, CA is to Miami).

The hardest thing to do here (and in most places in the world) would be to earn money. If you have some special skill(s) and a degree, then yes, you might be able to find employment here. All of the foreigners we have met over the years who are Colombian residents have been very enthusiastic about the country and that includes in the days of 1995, after I moved here, when the Cali Cartel was still operational.

I own a house and as far as I know, I can do just about anything a Colombian citizen can, with the exceptions of joining the military or working for the government.

As far as I know, Colombia does NOT have a program to encourage or subsidize foreginers to move here and those programs must be considered to be temporary, as was the case, years ago, when Costa Rica cancelled their program and did NOT "grandfather" the existing people who had moved there, under those laws.  They had the rug pulled out from under them...

There is a "culture shock" when moving from the USA to another country, and I read, many years ago, that the "culture shock" of  Americans moving back to the USA is far worse.

Many people who work in the U.S. Embassy in Bogota, who worked there, years ago,  could tell you how much this country has improved. Now, I suspect it is one of the most desired posts the U.S. State Department has available to their employees.

The banks here are honest and you can transfer $ from the USA, without any issues.

ETA: I just took a quick look at the first post. Ends with Belize.  No thank you... I had a friend who had moved there and lived in the country. At first, he was very happy there. Then, when his house burned down, because of Arson, he lost his enthusiasm. I believe they are back in the USA now.

So here are my requirements in any country I'd like to consider moving to should I ever be wealthy enough to have the choice about where I live... Anyone want to play along? All good natured. Really. :)

1. Home schooling must be legal.

3. Catholicism must be accepted. (Again it doesn't have to be the native or majority, but I need to be able to raise my kids catholic without fear of arrest or something.)

4. 2nd world is okay, but I need reliable and safe medical facilities and pharmaceuticals. A universal healthcare is preferred, but not necessarily a requirement.

5. Can't handle extreme cold or heat. So most of Africa and all of Canada and Russia are out. Seriously, it got down to 52' last week and it felt like needles were piercing my hands repeatedly. I'm too old for cold weather! LOL *sigh* (editing to bold this bc seriously, it is painful to be cold. It's not just that I don't prefer it.) and dh absolutely hates constant temps above 95' and sneezes watching the kids mow the yard. It is what it is. He absolutely loved Costa Rica though and says he wishes we could stay there.

7. Free country. I'm leaving that open. I'm not interested in communist china or the red Dawn vision for Greece. (Darn shame that, Greece property is dirt cheap right now and it's beautiful country. But nope.)

So... Suggestions?

So far everything I research just boils down to might as well stay with the devil I know. :/

But if my dad doesn't kick the bucket soon, he plans to deed his stuff to my brother and move to either Panama or Belize. He just got his passport and such in order before the shutdown.

I wanna go wherever Martha goes. We can be neighbors. (although with a bit more emphasis on universal healthcare, other wise our requirements are the same.)