Menu

Am I old or is this bizarre??

I remember when I was a kid and my Mom didn't "get" my music. I promised myself I would never be that mom and I've done a pretty good job, I think.

Until last night.

I was in the car, alone, listening to the radio. The new Bruno Mars song came on. Gorilla. Making love like gorillas. I honestly had to come home and google because I was certain that 'gorillas' were not something most people think of when they think of an awesome night with their sweetie.

Here is a link to the lyrics but be warned there are swears and.. well.. gorilla talk.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/gorilla-lyrics-bruno-mars.html

So, am I old and crazy? Are all the kids in the clubs swinging to the gorilla lovin? Or is this song bizarre??

:huh:  :thumbdown: Nauseating.  This kind of thing is not allowed in my house.  It wouldn't be allowed even if my kids were adults, if we are talking about what comes into my house.  When they are on their own, well, then, I can't control that.

It's not just that it is disgusting and immoral.  First and foremost, it's just poorly written and dumb.

My sister LOVES this song, but I could never get down with the gorilla thing.  LOL We actually checked YouTube for mating gorillas.  It slightly killed the song for her...only slightly.  I don't read much into it.  Two people having rough sex. *shrug* It happens.  I can't say that I would let my kids listen to it as my oldest is only ten, and I control the music.  :p  It isn't on any of my playlists, but I do like other songs of his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xat1GVnl8-k

We had this in 1999. So.... I'm not sure it's all that crazy.

I used to be able to sing this song back then.  I loved it then and it still amuses me now.  The video, eh, not so much.  In 1994, Nine Inch Nails released a song called Closer, much more controversial than gorilla loving I think.

I remember when I was a kid and my Mom didn't "get" my music. I promised myself I would never be that mom and I've done a pretty good job, I think.

Until last night.

I was in the car, alone, listening to the radio. The new Bruno Mars song came on. Gorilla. Making love like gorillas. I honestly had to come home and google because I was certain that 'gorillas' were not something most people think of when they think of an awesome night with their sweetie.

Here is a link to the lyrics but be warned there are swears and.. well.. gorilla talk.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/gorilla-lyrics-bruno-mars.html

So, am I old and crazy? Are all the kids in the clubs swinging to the gorilla lovin? Or is this song bizarre??

I don't know but it made me giggle. It's definitely bizarre.

My kids are young so I haven't had to deal with this yet.

I've not heard this song but the first lines concern me more than rough sex:

Ooh I got a body full of liquor with a cocaine

kicker and I'm feeling like I'm thirty feet tall

I'm not entirely surprised by the lyrics, as Bruno Mars has had a bit of history with cocaine.

I tend not to take song lyrics particularly seriously, so maybe that's why those lines (no cocaine pun intended ;)) didn't even pop up on my radar.

Doesn't phase me; I grew up with Prince and funk and am perhaps too well steeped in Mars' musical influences to appreciate what I've heard from him so far. He is too mannered musically and unimaginative lyrically. It's like listening to a bunch of studio musicians warned not to improvise in the slightest, with someone singing the contents of their secret teenage poetry notebook. :tongue_smilie:

There's promise though.

I used to be able to sing this song back then.  I loved it then and it still amuses me now.  The video, eh, not so much.  In 1994, Nine Inch Nails released a song called Closer, much more controversial than gorilla loving I think.

Never heard of it. Didn't like it.

However, my dh has been rocking out to NIN since I met him in high school.

I've not heard this song but the first lines concern me more than rough sex:

Ooh I got a body full of liquor with a cocaine

kicker and I'm feeling like I'm thirty feet tall

Yep. That was my first thought when I saw the lyrics. I'm not sure who Bruno Mars is or if I've heard the song in question on the radio. I don't pay much attention I just flip the dial until I hear a good song and that's almost all the attention I give music. These days I don't even do that. I just listen to NPR or BBC most of the time.

This is totally OT but the gorilla thing reminded me that when I was little I was really terrified of gorillas. I would hear on the radio news about 'guerrilla fighters' and had this idea that the gorillas were coming down from the mountains to war with humans.

It reminded me of a bad Kids in the Hall sketch.

Both are on my favorites list.  I gotta say, not that weird, though.  I listen to a lot of "weird" older music. lol  This stuff certainly isn't new.  Does anyone remember the Ding-a-ling song?  Maybe not *as* weird, but who didn't giggle at that song?

I used to be able to sing this song back then. I loved it then and it still amuses me now. The video, eh, not so much. In 1994, Nine Inch Nails released a song called Closer, much more controversial than gorilla loving I think.

See I don't know. I think the topic has a place in music, but the bruno Mars song is vulgar and badly written. At least Trent was a decent writer. Also with NIN you know what you're getting. They aren't getting played on the easy listening station, you know.

Meh, I always have to say that I like songs not genres and definitely not music.

I have a pretty short list of songs that I like to listen to, probably less than 75 total and they span whatever times that they span, the rest I'd rather leave it alone. There are some songs that if they aren't intrusive, I don't mind. Most music gets on my nerves. Badly.

I have always been this way, no idea why.

There are really never great lyrics about ENJOYING sex and drugs, are there? There is much to praise in the works lyricists describing the dark side of those things (Trent Reznor, for example).  But to talk about the sex drugs & rock & roll lifestyle joyfully really has to be about the music, not the lyrics.

I think Bruno Mars is a good musician, talking about his life, paying homage to a variety of styles. He's doing exactly what Justin Timberlake is trying to do, but doing it much better. IMO.

No this isn't appropriate for kids, but that's the radio station's fault.  He is not  a shock artist like Gaga or Kesha. He's is perfectly happy to tame it down for a mixed age audience. He's played Sesame Street and is playing the Super Bowl this year.