Menu

Love those *positive* HS socialization comments!

DS7 had a medical procedure today, and he was back with the nurses awhile without me, and every nurse that came out to talk to me about his status commented on how engaged and articulate and mature he was - which was nice to hear, of course, but what I loved best was hearing (twice!), "You can definitely tell he is homeschooled!"  (said in the most positive way)

I have heard this comment before, and it's so encouraging that it seems as if the typical socialization concern among the general public is really starting to fade as people meet more actual homeschoolers and realize we are not a bunch of weirdos with socially inept children :001_cool:

About a year after I started homeschooling I had an older woman at church come up to me and tell me how amazed she was with the improvement in ds's social skills (he is ASD and social skills had been an issue). She was watching him from the choir and was so impressed. She asked what we had done. I told her we'd been homeschooling. Her response was, "Are you sorry you didn't start sooner?". I have to admit, I am.

Yeah, I once had someone that I had just met tell me after talking to my children, "I can tell you homeschool. You know why? Your 13 yos looked me in the eye while I talked with him. Young teens don't do that!"

Love it!!  Isn't it wonderful to see how the tide is turning?  So nice to see a good reputation growing around homeschooling, even on that pesky socialization issue!

(Although I must admit I have to remind and remind and remind my DCs about eye contact!  But I think they are doing much better with it than they would do without all my constant reminding, LOL!  Maybe by the time they are teens they will be really good at it!)

Love it!!!

Yeah, I once had someone that I had just met tell me after talking to my children, "I can tell you homeschool. You know why? Your 13 yos looked me in the eye while I talked with him. Young teens don't do that!"

My son's doctor said that to me once too! Also said his patients don't typically answer with more than one or two words when he asks about school etc...

It's nice to hear affirmation sometimes!

:hurray:

We get positive comments on the kids' public behavior sometimes. I don't usually volunteer that we homeschool, though. I have had a few times when people specifically remarked that we must homeschool (on a non-school day!). When I get the deer-in-the-headlights-look, they reply that they can tell because the kids behave so well. (Behavior at home isn't usually so wonderful.)

But we know a few IRL homeschool families with crazy ones in public. One particular family in my little town sets a negative stereotype for us homeschoolers.  :smash:  My older ones know they are Ambassadors for the homeschooling movement.

Yay! Isn't it nice when you find that something is sinking in after all? :)

Just the other day I got huge compliments on ds10 for his behavior at taekwondo - two moms said he was gentle with the young ones, a good listener, spoke maturely on topics (!) and when talking to the master and kids he would say, "My mom says" unabashedly. One of the moms wants to homeschool as a result of seeing ds, and her ds being very small in stature for his age, she's worried about bullying.

Had an interesting conversation with a lady who owns several of the ice cream stores in town, which are mostly staffed by high schoolers/college kids. I mentioned the store closest to us which we go to on special occasions and she said that is her favorite/easiest store as far as employees goes. It's staffed by almost all homeschoolers who can engage the adult customers/public and she's never had a problem with them stealing. Not a tremendously high bar to meet, but a nice stereotype to have.

The girls and I went to a birthday party at a park yesterday.  it was for a 1 year old, so most of the guests were adults with babies or toddlers.  I had 3 separate people come up to me and comment on how great my kids were, and all three of them mentioned what a good testimonial it was to homeschooling.  I thought it was pretty funny - my kids were bright, articulate, and polite before they started homeschooling, because we have been teaching them to have and use nice manners since they were tiny  - but since people were attributing it to homeschooling, I guess I'll take it! We can use the good publicity . . . unfortunately, in this area, I meet a lot of (radically) unschooled kids who are not such a pleasure to be around.  

It was interesting, though - one of the people who commented was a parent whose oldest was my dd7's age, another has a 7 month old, and the third hasn't got kids and was super curious about homeschooling - he asked me a ton of questions, we had a really interesting conversation, and he said after talking to me and meeting my kids, he'd consider homeschooling his kids someday!!  :thumbup:

My 8 dd was in line for pizza at a gymnastics open gym night and the little girl behind her says, "You're homeschooled, aren't you?" My daughter says, "Yes, how did you know?" The girl replied, "You aren't shy. Most public school kids are shy." The girl went to public school.

I know that is not the case, but I thought the girl's perspective was interesting.