Menu

A. is in third grade, and we are doing Getting Started With Spanish over the next year or two and plan to follow with Galore Park's So You Really Want to Learn Spanish. 

I bought CAP's Spanish for Children Primer A for us to use this fall, but I've begun to realize that it is a chunk of work for us and am not sure that it is the best way to be using that time.  Probably 20-30 min/day on school days.  If we drop it and continue on with just GSWS and then pick up SYRWTLS later I think we will be fine but it occurs to me that perhaps the Spanish for Children is one of those things whose value becomes clear after a year or two of use ... any thoughts? 

for context, I'm focusing this year on A's math (he's accelerated and doing PreA); his writing (we're starting Classical Writing) and reading (bringing comprehension up) and lots of outdoor time (A. is on an idiosyncratic developmental timetable -- he spent his PreK-2nd grade years doing lots of formal work because it helped keep him sane and balanced, and now that he's becoming a bit more able to relax I am trying to give him a lot of unstructured play time to make up for the lack of it in the early years). 

On the one hand I don't want to overburden him; on the other hand, the Spanish for Children is do-able but challenging for him so it may be an ideal component for our school. 

thoughts?  (and thanks!)

My DD really didn't like SFC, It's OK, but it's a lot of memorization, dry, and it just plain was more fun to learn Spanish by reading in it and speaking it than by vocabulary and translations. She loves languages, but not that way. (And she's also a math accelerated, very analytical kid).

My DD really didn't like SFC, It's OK, but it's a lot of memorization, dry, and it just plain was more fun to learn Spanish by reading in it and speaking it than by vocabulary and translations. She loves languages, but not that way. (And she's also a math accelerated, very analytical kid).

thanks!  are there any particular programs/resources you've liked? (I don't speak Spanish -- I'm learning, too!)