Menu

Suggest Civil War books, movies for ten year olds?

Can you suggest great books to read, movies to watch and lapbooks to create that are especially great?

I've geared my suggestions for 10yo boys, as there are some great Civil War films that have come out in the last 20 years, but I personally would wait on them until age 12-14 or so, depending on the film. And while I loved Ken Burn's documentary The Civil War, at 10+ hours, it's way overkill for 10yo, unless your DC really love leisurely-paced documentaries.

readers:

- Freedom Train: Story of Harriet Tubman (Sterling) -- biography; pre-Civil War, slaves escaping to freedom

- The Daring Escape of Ellen Craft (Moore) -- biography; 1848, slaves escaping to freedom

- Behind Rebel Lines (Reit) -- biography; true story of a teen girl who disguised herself as a boy and became a Union spy in the South

- Civil War Sub: Mystery of the Henley (Boehm) -- non-fiction; one of the first submarines

- The Monitor: The Iron Warship that Changed the World (Thompson) -- non-fiction; one of the first submarines

- Bull Run (Fleishman) -- historical fiction; battle of Bullrun told from multiple points of view

- The Perilous Road (Steele) -- historical fiction; Civil War

- Shades of Gray (Reeder) -- post Civil War, strong feelings about fighting/not fighting in the War

read-alouds:

- Across Five Aprils (Hunt) -- family divided when brothers join different sides of the War

- Rifles for Watie (Keith) -- the Western campaign of the Civil War 

(If you had girls, I might suggest Turn Homeward Hannalee)

non-fiction

- The Boys War (Murphy)

- Abraham Lincoln: A Photobiography (Freedman)

- Cornerstones of Freedom: Fort Sumter (January)

- Cornerstones of Freedom: The Battle of Bullrun (Kent)

- Cornerstones of Freedom: The Battle of Shiloh (Kent)

- Cornerstones of Freedom: The Gettysburg Address (Richards)

- Cornerstones of Freedom: Surrender at Appomattox -- (there are 3 versions: one each by Kent, McGowen, and Benoit)

- If You Lived at the Time of the Civil War (Moore) 

movies:

1. The General (1926)-- absolutely wonderful silent B&W with Buster Keaton, set in the Civil War

2. The Horse Soldiers (1959) -- Union soldiers sent to destroy a RR supply depot; watch The General alongside this one, as it is the same plot, but a comedy

3. Friendly Persuasion -- southern Illinois Quaker family caught up in the start of the Civil War

4. The Red Badge of Courage (1951) -- based on the Stephen Crane novella

5. Springfield Rifle (1952) -- Gary Cooper as the North's first counter spy trying to discover who's stealing Union cavalry horses

6. How The West Was Won (1962) -- multi-generational saga of the West, including the Gold Rush, Civil War, and building railroads

optional: Gone With the Wind (1939) -- although 9yo DSs will likely be bored by the romance, some great images that help you see how drastically the War changed the South

(If you had girls, I'd suggest one of the film versions of Little Women, part of which is set during the Civil War.)

other
Civil War Trust: websites for kids -- list of websites on the Civil War for kids
Scholastic Dear America -- Civil War resources for gr. 3-5
Homeschool Share -- free printable lapbook

My favorite Civil War fiction we read were Bull Run and The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg.

Fields of Fury was by far the best nonfiction we used.  I really like the layout.

We also watched most of Glory, which we did some prep work for.  There are a couple of difficult scenes and two really bloody ones, but I would feel comfortable showing to most 10 yos.

My favorite Civil War fiction we read were Bull Run and The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg.

Fields of Fury was by far the best nonfiction we used.  I really like the layout.

We also watched most of Glory, which we did some prep work for.  There are a couple of difficult scenes and two really bloody ones, but I would feel comfortable showing to most 10 yos.

Farrar -- Do you mean Bull Run by Fleischman, Paul?

Any other suggestions everyone? And thank you! I tried showing Ken Burns Civil War doc to them today -- too grisly. The picture of the many dead horses did them in.

So if you have suggestions I need ideas for the most sensitive among us.

Thanks again,

Alley

Farrar -- Do you mean Bull Run by Fleischman, Paul?

Any other suggestions everyone? And thank you! I tried showing Ken Burns Civil War doc to them today -- too grisly. The picture of the many dead horses did them in.

So if you have suggestions I need ideas for the most sensitive among us.

Thanks again,

Alley

I was just checking out Red Badge of Courage. Not to belabor the point, but do you think easily-freaked-out kids would be okay with it?

Thanks for the ideas!

Alley

I think it's tamer than All Quiet on the Western Front.

I think it depends. I read it with no problems, but I wouldn't want to watch a horse dying on screen, kwim?

I've geared my suggestions for 10yo boys, as there are some great Civil War films that have come out in the last 20 years, but I personally would wait on them until age 12-14 or so, depending on the film. And while I loved Ken Burn's documentary The Civil War, at 10+ hours, it's way overkill for 10yo, unless your DC really love leisurely-paced documentaries.

readers:

- Freedom Train: Story of Harriet Tubman (Sterling) -- biography; pre-Civil War, slaves escaping to freedom

- The Daring Escape of Ellen Craft (Moore) -- biography; 1848, slaves escaping to freedom

- Behind Rebel Lines (Reit) -- biography; true story of a teen girl who disguised herself as a boy and became a Union spy in the South

- Civil War Sub: Mystery of the Henley (Boehm) -- non-fiction; one of the first submarines

- The Monitor: The Iron Warship that Changed the World (Thompson) -- non-fiction; one of the first submarines

- Bull Run (Fleishman) -- historical fiction; battle of Bullrun told from multiple points of view

- The Perilous Road (Steele) -- historical fiction; Civil War

- Shades of Gray (Reeder) -- post Civil War, strong feelings about fighting/not fighting in the War

read-alouds:

- Across Five Aprils (Hunt) -- family divided when brothers join different sides of the War

- Rifles for Watie (Keith) -- the Western campaign of the Civil War 

(If you had girls, I might suggest Turn Homeward Hannalee)

non-fiction

- The Boys War (Murphy)

- Abraham Lincoln: A Photobiography (Freedman)

- Cornerstones of Freedom: Fort Sumter (January)

- Cornerstones of Freedom: The Battle of Bullrun (Kent)

- Cornerstones of Freedom: The Battle of Shiloh (Kent)

- Cornerstones of Freedom: The Gettysburg Address (Richards)

- Cornerstones of Freedom: Surrender at Appomattox -- (there are 3 versions: one each by Kent, McGowen, and Benoit)

- If You Lived at the Time of the Civil War (Moore) 

movies:

1. The General (1926)-- absolutely wonderful silent B&W with Buster Keaton, set in the Civil War

2. The Horse Soldiers (1959) -- Union soldiers sent to destroy a RR supply depot; watch The General alongside this one, as it is the same plot, but a comedy

3. Friendly Persuasion -- southern Illinois Quaker family caught up in the start of the Civil War

4. The Red Badge of Courage (1951) -- based on the Stephen Crane novella

5. Springfield Rifle (1952) -- Gary Cooper as the North's first counter spy trying to discover who's stealing Union cavalry horses

6. How The West Was Won (1962) -- multi-generational saga of the West, including the Gold Rush, Civil War, and building railroads

optional: Gone With the Wind (1939) -- although 9yo DSs will likely be bored by the romance, some great images that help you see how drastically the War changed the South

(If you had girls, I'd suggest one of the film versions of Little Women, part of which is set during the Civil War.)

other
Civil War Trust: websites for kids -- list of websites on the Civil War for kids
Scholastic Dear America -- Civil War resources for gr. 3-5
Homeschool Share -- free printable lapbook

You always have the best lists, thank you!

... I tried showing Ken Burns Civil War doc to them today -- too grisly. The picture of the many dead horses did them in....

... I need ideas for the most sensitive among us.

JMO, but I think students below high school age learn from and best connect with (without being freaked out about) resources that are geared for children and pre-teens -- in other words, children's non-fiction and children's historical fiction.

That's why I went with older movies as my suggestions, rather than any documentaries -- pre-1950 Hollywood films tend to be pretty safe as they are not graphic. And no, I personally would not read The Red Badge of Courage to a 10yo, as there are some big themes in it that would go over kids' heads; it's more "internal" and psychological as well -- really not where a kid is in their thinking, or what they *want* to know about. I would save it for high school to get the most out of it. Again, JMO.

Farrarwilliams book suggestions looked great, and very age-appropriate. She always suggests books I've not seen, but want to run out and read. ;)

See I felt the opposite. I have never understood why the easier adult books are kept from children until they are in high school -- Animal Farm &c., Brave New World, Steinbeck, Hemingway . . . I read lots of these before high school and managed to connect with what are universal themes rather than simply adult ones. And reading a book young doesn't preclude someone from reading it again later.

YMMV. Not a great fan of children's historical writing.