Menu

"Did you treat her?" (mini rant)

Jean in Newcastle

So we took Libby the disabled wonder dog to the pet store this morning.  A customer in the store saw her flopping (she has 3 working legs) and came running, "Oh, what happened?"  I'm used to this question and just said "Oh she was hit by a car a couple of years ago."  So this lady stops and looks and me and said "Did you treat her?"  I was miffed.  I wanted to say sarcastically, "No we just let her lie in the street until she managed to drag herself home."  Instead I just said "Yes" a bit frostily but then I relented and told her "It was a spinal cord injury.  She's not in pain."  Anyway - there's no drama here - it's just a mini rant - but I was miffed that she would think that I wouldn't treat my much loved dog!  

:iagree: with the above posts. I always tend to be more sarcastic, so I probably would have said something like, "wait..should we have gotten vet care? Wow. Never thought of that!"

As a side note, how wonderful you are to take care of this dog (and take her out shopping at her favorite store!). Some people wouldn't have bothered and would have had her put down after the accident.

Someone should ask her if she has ever had her "foot in mouth" condition treated!

Probably not.  Her people probably just did this: 

"we just let her lie in the street until she managed to drag herself home."  

And she's been running her mouth ever since.  Poor thing.   :rolleyes:  :tongue_smilie:

People say stupid things....When my 3rd daughter was born, she had a prominent hemangioma  on her ear. When she was about 6 months old, someone saw her and asked, "Oh what happened to the poor thing? Did you smash her ear with a car door?"

Yeah, lady, that's what happened. I slammed her head in a door!

People say stupid things....When my 3rd daughter was born, she had a prominent hemangioma  on her ear. When she was about 6 months old, someone saw her and asked, "Oh what happened to the poor thing? Did you smash her ear with a car door?"

That would make me mad!  

Oh, this makes me giggle.  I am always surprised when people think other people are complete morons.  I mean really - who'd bring a dog that had been just hit by a car into a public store??  

I know.  Plus - all I could think of was the horror when she got hit (she got out of a supposedly safely fenced in dog park).  And the rush to the emergency vet.  And the thousands of dollars we spent.  And the days spent nursing her at home when she couldn't stand, drink, eat or even pee by herself.  So "Yes, lady.  I treated her!"  

I'd have asked her how she sustained such horrible brain damage as to think I was that stupid.

Ok, I probably wouldn't have, but I'd have replied, deadpan "No." Rolled my eyes and walked away and thought some really witty remark.

Jean, you are such a big person, I really had the type of day that would've caused me to stoop to that womans level. Brava!

You were gracious indeed!  I was miffed today when I went to pick my cat up at the vet.  He had major surgery about six weeks ago due to urinary problems and now he has a UTI.  One of the receptionists said, "Oh is that your crazy cat?  He hisses at me everytime I walk by him.  Is he like that at home?"  Maybe I'm just a little irritable d/t PMS, but it ticked me off.  I said, perhaps a little more loudly than usual, "No, he's a lovely cat at home. He just doesn't like it here."  Never thought I would be defensive about my cat's personality, but really, what an asinine thing to say! 

You were gracious indeed!  I was miffed today when I went to pick my cat up at the vet.  He had major surgery about six weeks ago due to urinary problems and now he has a UTI.  One of the receptionists said, "Oh is that your crazy cat?  He hisses at me everytime I walk by him.  Is he like that at home?"  Maybe I'm just a little irritable d/t PMS, but it ticked me off.  I said, perhaps a little more loudly than usual, "No, he's a lovely cat at home. He just doesn't like it here."  Never thought I would be defensive about my cat's personality, but really, what an asinine thing to say! 

You should have said, in a sickeningly sweet tone with a big smile on your face: "Oh no, Ruff only hisses at those he hates. Looks like he hates you--I can see why!"

The sweet tone and smile would've totally confused her and by the time your words registered you'd have made a clean getaway.

Ok, maybe not a good idea to piss off those who would be caring for your cat, but I'd have been tempted.

What a bizarre thing for her to say to you.

Well, despite being miffed, I did try and see things from her perspective.  She didn't know me.  She saw what she thought was a dog in distress, though since Libby has no feeling in her paralyzed paw, she is not distressed at all.  So that is why I ended up trying to respond to.  Even though it seemed a bit strange how intense she was about a dog and a situation that she knew nothing about!