Menu

looking for info

Guest aellis79

Guest aellis79

I havn't decided if homeschooling is right for our family or not. I have one boy(8/2nd) in a private school, and two girls(2&10mo). I don't think ps is a good enough education, plus a lot of wasted time, but I'm not sure we can afford private school for three.

I love teaching my children and was unaware that reading at four is not the norm. The problem is I am a clutter bug and not always on top of paperwork around the house (or the house work).

How does one decide to take the plunge??

Taking the plunge is SCARY! You angst over the decision and weigh up the pros and cons. It's particularly hard as to homeschool you are really going against the flow, so it opens you up to questions.

We had a similar situation, we took our boys out of private school because we were struggling for money and put them in public school where they just plain struggled.

I decided to take the plunge and pull C out of school because I truely believed home was the best education for him given the issues he was having.

I discovered that it's just a plain ol good education with lots of lovely unexpected benefits. It's a lifestyle choice for us now.

I think you take the plunge by being sure of your decision, being clear on why and then when you have doubts (and you will) keep clear in your mind, why you chose to follow that path.

I think as you research, hang out with homeschoolers, and such, you'll gain more confidence in the decision to homeschool. Just as your children learned to walk, talk, read, and whatever else while you provided a helpful environment, they can continue learning that way. Of course, you'll probably add curriculum sometime between the time they are 5 and 10, but the curriculum helps you homeschool.

Also, you sound like a conscientious mom. You want to be sure your kids are educated properly. That is the number one thing it takes (#2 is follow through).

As for clutter? Well, two things seem to happen. One, you work around your clutter because you know it and it doesn't really affect your homeschooling or two, you become a tad bit more organized. There are a few that really get their act together in the clutter department, but though you can work on it, I wouldn't depend on it. People have varying degrees of success regading that.

*I* have decided to step up to the next level though! Not being able to find the cord that hooks the video camera to the computer is costing me the chance at a $7500 scholarship! Though I've made significant progress in the last 10 years, it's time for me to do BETTER! I just wish my mom was here to help because she doesn't accept any excuses! LOL Everything has a place OR ELSE!

Anyway, so generally don't worry too much about the housework. It'll come to some extent, whatever you decide (might try http://www.flylady.net). It's not most important in regards to homeschooling though :)

Guest aellis79

Thanks for the help. I just found out that four children from my son's class are going to be home schooled. A local Catholic church is starting a homeschool co-op.

What do you think about the ps/homeschool classes? I'm talking about the ones you go to for a couple of hours once or twice a week. Also, what do you know about Home Link? I love the idea of being reimbursed for school materiels, but I'm not sure that I want to follow a regular school schedule or take the wasl (Washington learning assesment test). :thumbdown:

I havn't decided if homeschooling is right for our family or not. I have one boy(8/2nd) in a private school, and two girls(2&10mo). I don't think ps is a good enough education, plus a lot of wasted time, but I'm not sure we can afford private school for three.

I love teaching my children and was unaware that reading at four is not the norm. The problem is I am a clutter bug and not always on top of paperwork around the house (or the house work).

How does one decide to take the plunge??

Howdy!! I notice that we are in the same town!! If you want some to chat sometime, send me a pm with your phone number (to send a pm, click on my name in my post and you get the option to send personal message) and we can chat on the phone!! Where does your son go to school now?

I think the decision to homeschool is such a personal one and it really is a scary decision. But, know that it is very doable for all types and personalities. We all bring our strenghts and weaknesses to it, and we just learn as we do it how to make it better.

I don't know if you have read The Well Trained Mind yet, but you will find some great info in there on how to get started. By the way, the Spokane Public Library has a copy of The Well Trained Mind, but I believe it is the older version and it would be good to see the new one.

What do you think about the ps/homeschool classes? I'm talking about the ones you go to for a couple of hours once or twice a week.

My dd goes to a PS class twice a week for two hours. It isn't a core curriculum class. It is an after school program. The teachers are wonderful and accept dd as they would any other student. If the classes you want you children to attend are available I say go for it.

Virtual schools and the like where you get money for materials and classes can be a blessing or a curse. The money is great, but you can't purchase religious materials. And in the cases I've heard of you have to be under the watchful eye of the PS. If you prefer to totally direct the education of your children without outside interference that isn't the way to go.

The only recommendation or suggestion I can make for the house decluttering is to give yourself a week prior to removing the kids from school (if they are already there). Use the week to do a total and through cleaning. Take notes, draw up a battle plan then attack everything. That way during the school year you only have to worry about maintainence.

Oh, before you make a decision you may want to check with support groups in your area. Someone there can give you a heads up on the homeschooling laws in your state, maybe let you look at their curriculum materials and give you some general info.