Menu

NCAA and dual enrollment

I have been searching and searching this morning and can't find the answer to my question. I am sure it has been discussed here before but I can't find it.

I've had in my head that the NCAA will accept community college dual enrollment courses but that the course would be have to be taken for the same amount of time as the high school course. For example, a one semester math class would only equal half of a high school credit as far as core course requirements for the NCAA. So, ds could take 2 cc math courses but that would only equal one core course for NCAA purposes.

I was looking around to confirm this info this morning and now I'm coming up with nothing. Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Last spring I called the NCAA with this question after reading in their documentation that a 1 semester CC would count as 1/2 a high school credit.

NCAA asked me where my DS had taken the class, was it at the high school or on the CC campus? The other question they asked was as to who would be issuing the credit? What NCAA said to me was since DS took the class on the CC campus and the CC issued the credit then 1 semester of a CC would be equal to 1 high school credit. If DS took the course at the high school OR the high school would be issuing the course on their transcript then 1 semester would be equal to 1/2 a high school credit.

I do hope that is correct since DS has taken 7 of his Core Courses at the CC and I'm counting each as a 1 high school credit. NCAA is very easy to call and to ask questions so if you learn differently please let us know (although at this point I might not want to know, :cursing: 

Thank you. This is very good news.

My ds will have a wide variety of classes but we really do our own nontraditional thing. Taking some of the core courses at the cc should make it all go more smoothly. My intent is for him to have plenty of courses "to spare" so it is okay if the NCAA doesn't like the look of some of our classes. Counting the cc classes as full credits should give me plenty to spare.

The NCAA number of courses required is a pretty low bar so I wouldn't get too excited about this. I suspect even a child who took all classes at a cc and then had them knocked in half by the NCAA would still make the hurdle for NCAA. 

That's pretty true however for a Division 1 school 4 years of English is required. DS took Freshman composition at the CC as his English 11 course. He'd be in a bad way if NCAA cuts that one in half.

My dd19 is a D2 soccer player in her second year of playing.

She had 9 cc courses on her high school transcript that were part of her NCAA packet.  Showing a cc course = 1 high school credit was never questioned by the NCAA.  They accepted all the paperwork I sent.

But, she was processed under the "old" NCAA homeschool requirements - there were no Core-Course Worksheet (CCW) to submit for each of the 16 required high school credits.

I would not think the new requirements change anything regarding cc credits. 

As others have mentioned,  call them to verify for yourself.

That is interesting Sue. There are a few that surprise me. For example Elementary Foreign Language I & II (French & Spanish) are both worth 1 credit. But intermediate Foreign Language I & II are each worth .5 ?? Comp I is worth 1 credit, but Technical Writing or Creative Writing are worth .5. 

These seem odd to me, but there is no such grid for our CC to high school. A full credit would be given for all of those classes at our local high school. I'm not sure if the NCAA would give the .5 or the 1, but it would seem your list would err on the low side, not the high side which should be safe when going to NCAA.