Menu

fun ways to learn/practice skip counting?

mom2Hh

i never did skip counting of 6s and 7s?  but the 'normal' ones like 2s and 5s i did while pushing them on the swings, when they were younger.  but timez attacks / big brain is a free video game style math facts game, or you can buy a version with more graphics variety - complete with ogre you have to kill by doing math facts

I remember practicing 2's, and 3's while going up stairs. As a little kid I loved trying to stretch my legs further and trying to count with bigger numbers. I did it with my kids too. For movie night we would also count out chips by 5's and 6's to fill each kids bowl (a little weird but it works). If we had something that we could count for any strange reason at all, we counted it. Even when my kids were really little I counted everything. They are pretty comfy with numbers at this point.

I have the following cd/DVD combo that teaches skip counting. It is pretty low budget, but kids seem to really like it. My dd already knew skip counting by most numbers when we got it, as well as multiplication tables but she still likes it and learned to skip count higher than I had taught her.

I also used Math Bands, these really cute bracelets in bright colors that have a separate bracelet for each number. They are designed by a teacher:

http://www.tlcforkidsonline.com/multiplication.html

https://sites.google.com/site/learninstylemathbands/

In addition, the FREE skip counting mazes from Confessions of a Homeschooler are a fun way to practice as well:

http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/blog/2012/07/skip-counting-mazes.html

After trying many systems and games, this worked the best for us.

1) Cut up two index cards into at least twelve little cards. (Usually you can get 16 little squares, so you'll have extra).

2) Tell your child to write the multiples on them: 6,12,18,24,28,35,42,48,54,60,66,72.

3 ) Tell your child to put the numbers in order, laid out so they can see them all on the table.

4) Tell your child to read the numbers aloud to you.

5) Turn over the first two.  Tell your child to read the numbers to you again, including the ones he cannot see.  Touch each number (or upside-down card) as he says it.

6) Ask you child to turn over one more card --ANY card -- whichever one they will remember.  Have your child recite the numbers again.

7) Repeat step 6 until your child has memorized a few numbers.  Don't worry about learning them all in one day.  You'll repeat this process over as many days as it takes until your child can recite them all.

8) Once your child can recite them all, move directly to whatever game you have for basic multiplication facts.  Do not pass go; do not collect $200.  Help your child skipcount the answers (you hold up fingers and he counts) so he can see the value of knowing these skipcount series.

We have two apps on the Nook, a Flashmaster, and extended Starfall.  You've gotta have something in the house.