Menu

If your kids share a room what are the rules for after lights out...

Don't handcuff your brother--even if he thinks it's funny. Please don't use a sharpie to color a mustache on your sleeping brother. Never drop bowling balls from the top of the bunk bed. Quit talking and go to sleep immediately. :) I probably missed a few.

Talking quietly with lights out is fine. Playing is not. If I can't hear them from the other room (and their door is closed), then all is good. On nights before a big day or early day however, I ask them to keep their talk short and will check on them if they go on too long. I figure they talk and play to/with each other all day, a few limits won't kill them. If they break some of the basic rules and get loud or rowdy, I put one on an air mattress in the schoolroom for the night. That doesn't happen too often.

My girls are supposed to go right to sleep after I tuck them in.  I leave their door slightly ajar so a little light enters, and the consequence for talking beyond a few seconds is to have the door shut (complete darkness) which they hate.  Our bedtime is on the late side so there's no room for playing around, as they cannot sleep in the next day.

My boys are allowed to read by lamplight. We have two boys per room and in neither room do they choose to talk for an extended period of time. They rather enjoy the quiet reading time. :)

I suppose if they were being rowdy it would be time for lights out, but I honestly cannot think of a time that has happened...ever. That seems rather unlikely though, doesn't it? Hmm...

We rarely have a lights out rule, they are free to read with a lamp for awhile. Occasionally one will fall asleep with the light on and their book open in their lap. :wub: They are all very good about not making noise. If we've had a long, tiring day or need to get up early we will ask them to turn off their lights after a certain amount of time.

I've got all three sharing a room right now due to visitors, they are still all very good about being quiet. I think it helps that they have a late bedtime.

I forgot - ds6 often falls asleep while reading and rarely stays awake more than 10 mins so it generally asleep by 7.30. Ds4 takes longer and often goes to sleep in my bed and gets moved later. It can take him a couple of hours to settle but is usually quiet.

Bedtimes are usually staggered here, but when they're not the kids are allowed to talk as long as I can't hear them (only to keep the volume conducive to relaxation and not because I don't want to hear them). No reading, or my eldest would never get to sleep.

Quiet reading time followed by a lights out and no messing about. I don't really care if the whisper nicely for a bit, but they never do that, tho I'm sure it starts that way for about 10 seconds. Then it's, "moooom! He said..." Or "OW!! Daaad! He hit me with his stuffed dinosaur and the eye of it hit me in the lip!" "Well you deserved it for making those annoying noises after I told you to shut up that it was driving me crazy!" Or..."Make her stop not touching me!!! STOOOOP it! I'm going to tell mom you're purposely freaking me out!!! MOOOOOM!"

So. 7:30 or 8 bedtime, reading for 20-30 minutes, then lights out and quiet up there.

The majority of the time it is and it's not an issue. But every once in a while they make up for all those good nights.

Our only rule was lights out, stay in bed.  Talking or singing or stuffed animal wars were fine, as long as it remained dark and within the boundaries of the bed.  That's the rule my parents had for us, too.  Some of my most fond memories are late night discussions and arguments, not to mention the creative genius we put into coming up with ways to drive Mom crazy by following the letter (not the spirit) of her nighttime rules.

If I had only two and they were 8 and 11 and each were likely getting enough sleep, I wouldn't worry about it as long as they weren't carrying on.  Some reading, chatting a little, etc would be fine. 

But I don't (have only two, have kids who would get enough sleep, who wouldn't carry on).  The kids know that they are expected to lie still, eyes shut, go to sleep.  You're either asleep or pretending to be asleep.  

Play all day.  At bedtime, go to sleep.

Maybe one day I'll loosen up.  Maybe when the younger kids are 8 :)