Menu

S/O of food prices, organic, China and like threads

Tiramisu

We recently went to Germany to visit family. I was shocked at how low the food prices were. Everything seemed high quality and tasted fresh and delicious. They don't allow GMO or some of the artificial ingredients the US does, and their fuel prices (=food transport costs) are higher than ours. It doesn't make sense. If they can do it, we should be able to have reasonably priced healthy food, too. 

Is it mostly locally grown/sourced? Are they in a different growing season than you, which is coloring your view? 

Is it possible that the exchange rate is a factor in your impression of the price? 

My dad always raves about how low our food costs are here in Brazil, and how shocked (in a bad way) we'll be when we return to the US. We laugh because the prices aren't as low for a local as they are for an American converting in their head to dollars, and he doesn't take into consideration things like different growing seasons (ie, looking at our peaches in season vs. his at that same time, but out of season for him = ours are cheaper. When it's flip-flop, though, the prices are scary insane high; he doesn't factor that in), nor does he factor in that we simply do  not buy boxed or packaged anything, just about, due to cost. Nor does  he factor in portion size --- that box of cereal or that bag of chips looks cheaper, until you factor in that it is half the size as a normal US box/bag. Serving per serving it's actually much higher in price. 

Not saying maybe Germany's different and their food costs really are less, just pointing out some factors that people tend to overlook when comparing foreign prices to those back home. 

Even in the US the prices for the exact same thing differ considerably.  Fortunately, we live in a low cost area for most things.  We often get shocked at prices during our travels.  I don't recall our German exchange student being surprised at the cost for anything (food related) other than Nutella.  She was impressed at how inexpensive many things (like clothing) were.

I think my perception may have been influenced because prices were in Euros and the packages were smaller. But the veggie prices were so good...and yummy. My German friends all said that Germany has the lowest food and clothing prices in Europe. And as far as foreign prices go, I am used to Japan and nearly everything is more expensive there.

Even in the US the prices for the exact same thing differ considerably.  Fortunately, we live in a low cost area for most things.  We often get shocked at prices during our travels.  I don't recall our German exchange student being surprised at the cost for anything (food related) other than Nutella.  She was impressed at how inexpensive many things (like clothing) were.

Nutella in Germany seemed to have a stronger hazelnut flavor. I liked that better.

I found the U.S. Aldi equivalent to Nutella taste more like hazelnuts, too.

I too think food is cheaper in Germany.  But they have a lot of things that cost a lot more than here.  So I wonder if it doesn't kinda balance out in the end anyway.

No, it does not balance out. Averaged over all foods our family eats, I spend at least twice as much on food in my low-cost-of-living area here in the US than I spend in German. This averages items that are cheaper here, like beef for example, and items that cost me 3-4 times as much here, like good cheese or bread. The net effect is still at least a factor of 2. (Now, of course, I could construct an assortment of foods that would be cheaper: lots of ground beef, corn, corn products like tortilla chips, and packaged foods. Not what we want to eat though.)

The price difference has, however, nothing to do with quality or production methods. Food is subsidized both in Germany and in the US, and I would assume the price differences stem from different structures of agricultural subsidies.

I don't recall our German exchange student being surprised at the cost for anything (food related) other than Nutella.  She was impressed at how inexpensive many things (like clothing) were.

I would not expect exchange students to notice grocery prices, because they would not typically be responsible for grocery shopping and the food budget in their families. (Are your teens familiar with grocery prices? Mine aren't)

They would, however, be quite likely to have a clothing budget or allowance and be in charge of buying their own clothes and maybe electronics, and notice these things are a lot cheaper in the US.

Clothing is not cheaper in Germany. I was shocked at the cost of clothes when I was in Germany 2 years ago. All my family go crazy buying inexpensive clothing when they visit me here.

Forget buying shoes in Germany. Holy cow! expensive.

I didn't pay attention to food although this time I will. I'll be there for 5 weeks and I'm curious as to how much gf food costs. I'm hoping produce (naturally gf) is not too expensive, but it will be winter when I'm there so that might make produce more.

I would not expect exchange students to notice grocery prices, because they would not typically be responsible for grocery shopping and the food budget in their families. (Are your teens familiar with grocery prices? Mine aren't)

They would, however, be quite likely to have a clothing budget or allowance and be in charge of buying their own clothes and maybe electronics, and notice these things are a lot cheaper in the US.

She told me she went grocery shopping with her mom (usually at shops vs a large grocery store) often.  I know she enjoyed going with me.  Part of it was the novelty of seeing the difference in cultures, of course, but since she lived with us for the school year, I don't think it was all that.  Definitely specialty breads and cheeses were less expensive in Germany.  The rest (other than Nutella) she never commented on.  She fell in love with banana and zucchini bread while here (we made these rather than buying them) and took recipes back with her (along with measuring spoons and cups).  I recently had an e-mail conversation with a friend of hers... the banana bread is still a hit in her circle.

However, my teens (when they were living with me) don't know prices as they very seldom want to go grocery shopping.  The older two do know now that they shop for themselves.  ;)   Even hubby (who comes along sometimes) wouldn't know prices.  He just comes along for the company rather than to know what's a good price and what isn't.

I think it's an individual thing as to whether one knows (or cares to know) or not.

And yes, I might not have been clear before - clothes are definitely less expensive in the US, not Germany.  I can't think of much that she said was less expensive there aside from some breads and cheeses - oh - and chocolate... real chocolate vs milk.

.  I can't think of much that she said was less expensive there aside from some breads and cheeses - oh - and chocolate... real chocolate vs milk.

Fruit and vegetables are definitely cheaper in Germany. The magnitude of the price difference is obscured to many people (I noticed that with visitors repeatedly) because they fail to take into account that in Germany prices are per kilogram and in the US per pound, so even when the labels say comparable numbers, it means a factor of two  (1kg=2.2lb).

Clothing is not cheaper in Germany. I was shocked at the cost of clothes when I was in Germany 2 years ago. All my family go crazy buying inexpensive clothing when they visit me here.

Forget buying shoes in Germany. Holy cow! expensive.

I didn't pay attention to food although this time I will. I'll be there for 5 weeks and I'm curious as to how much gf food costs. I'm hoping produce (naturally gf) is not too expensive, but it will be winter when I'm there so that might make produce more.

I wonder if clothes and shoes prices may be getting lower because of new types of chain stores. I went to a large shoe store that had good prices on the outskirts of the city. It was enormous. Larger than any shoe store I've ever been in except the "warehouse" type, with a better selection. They had shoes of various prices, but a very good selection of pretty, inexpensive ones. Dh and the kids came home with shoes and socks. I wish I could remember the name.

Fruit and vegetables are definitely cheaper in Germany. The magnitude of the price difference is obscured to many people (I noticed that with visitors repeatedly) because they fail to take into account that in Germany prices are per kilogram and in the US per pound, so even when the labels say comparable numbers, it means a factor of two  (1kg=2.2lb).

We grow a lot of our own here (freezing extra for winter)... and what we don't grow, others do, so it tends to be very inexpensive except for things like citrus or bananas. ;)

I, myself, might get shocked at the prices if I had to buy many vegetables at a store.

I wonder if clothes and shoes prices may be getting lower because of new types of chain stores. I went to a large shoe store that had good prices on the outskirts of the city. It was enormous. Larger than any shoe store I've ever been in except the "warehouse" type, with a better selection. They had shoes of various prices, but a very good selection of pretty, inexpensive ones. Dh and the kids came home with shoes and socks. I wish I could remember the name.

I do know that German (or other European) shoe brands can be found cheaper than here. Birkenstock are cheaper and I've found good deal on Reike for the kids. However, "American" brands like Converse, Nike, New Balance and so forth are more expensive. My cousin usually asks me to get her kids Converse. The same style/color Converse I bought for $25 here had a price tag of $110 (at the exchange rate at the time) in Germany.

When it comes down to it though I'd rather have cheaper food over cheaper Converse.