Menu

Would you go to Israel over winter break?

Nan in Mass

Yes. I almost went one summer during college, with  program my university offered. Unfortunately, my dad had serious concerns for my safety and didn't want me to go. Out of respect for his feelings, I stayed home. I still think it would have been safe, and I'd let one of my kids go with that program. The Uni. closed its program whenever conditions deteriorated to the point that they felt students weren't safe.

If I were just visiting Israel on my own...no probably not. I don't have any desire to explore a foreign country whose language and customs I'm not familiar with, unless I had someone there to guide me.

Listening in. Dh and ds have a trip planned for April if next year. I'm really hoping things swing one way or another before then. I can handle it if they have to cancel, but what I don't like is this giant Syrian question mark.

If you do go, I would buy travel insurance that let's you cancel for any reason, any time.

My dh and I were there last Thanksgiving and had a great time.  We were unsure due to the news reports from the US, but when we got there it was business as usual.  A group trip is the best way.  The tour guide was watching out for us.  It was a trip of a lifetime and really brought the Bible to life.  Israel watches out for its tourist, which is a big business for them.  There are about 100,000 tourists in the country at all times.  I would take clothing for a variety of weather conditions.  I recommend travel insurance, but the only way you can use it is if the commercial airlines stop flying in to Israel or the State Department issues a travel warning.