Menu

Moms with hardwood floors: how do I clean this?

Alicia64

We're renters and I really want to keep the owners home nice plus we may be getting ready to move.

We have hardwood floors (not shiny ones) and somehow a blank felt ink pen fell under our dining room table and left an ink pen mark the size of a quarter.

This happened about a month ago so it's not fresh. I don't know when it happened or I would have cleaned it immediately.

How do I go about cleaning this?

I'm more than okay hiring an expert to handle if if that's why you all think.

Thanks in advance -- I'm stumped on this one.

Alley

We've had success getting spots off of our hardwood floors with a combination of linseed oil and powdered pumice.  I've only used it on light spots though, so I'm not sure how well it would work on dark spots.

You can buy linseed oil at home improvement stores.  Powdered pumice can be harder to find and is often only sold in huge containers (which you don't need).  I finally figured out (through tons of googling) that Critter Bath Powder (for hamsters, gerbils, etc.) is made of 100% powdered pumice.  It's a small box and it's cheap.  You can buy it at Petsmart: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753308

Mix about 1/4 cup of the linseed oil with enough of the pumice to make a paste.  Gently rub the spot with the paste until it's gone.

HTH!

We've had success getting spots off of our hardwood floors with a combination of linseed oil and powdered pumice.  I've only used it on light spots though, so I'm not sure how well it would work on dark spots.

You can buy linseed oil at home improvement stores.  Powdered pumice can be harder to find and is often only sold in huge containers (which you don't need).  I finally figured out (through tons of googling) that Critter Bath Powder (for hamsters, gerbils, etc.) is made of 100% powdered pumice.  It's a small box and it's cheap.  You can buy it at Petsmart: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753308

Mix about 1/4 cup of the linseed oil with enough of the pumice to make a paste.  Gently rub the spot with the paste until it's gone.

HTH!

Thank you Dandelion! I had already tried a paste of baking soda and water which did nothing. So I'd love to try your idea.

Question: linseed oil comes in "boiled," "cold pressed," "refined" etc. Does it matter which kind I get for this problem?

Thanks again!

Alley

Magic Eraser works, so I'd guess powdered pumice works as well. If the floors are not shiny I'd guess that you'd not even notice it much. We have a slight gloss to our floors and if you look at them at the right angle you can see the spots where we magic "erasered" up sharpie marks but it is very slight and certainly looks better than the sharpie marks

!

Thank you Dandelion! I had already tried a paste of baking soda and water which did nothing. So I'd love to try your idea.

Question: linseed oil comes in "boiled," "cold pressed," "refined" etc. Does it matter which kind I get for this problem?

Thanks again!

Alley

I don't know if it matters, but I just checked what kind we used and it's the "boiled". 

You can color over a Sharpie marker mark with a dry erase marker and wipe the stain off. I've erased pen off finished wood with a really good eraser. I have used Goof Off to get green Sharpie off of a finished wood nightstand before I knew the dry erase trick, so I haven't tried that on wood.