Menu

PSAT and SS#

I was just reading through the PSAT supervisor's manual http://professionals.collegeboard.com/profdownload/psat-nmsqt-supervisors-manual.pdf.   I noticed that it asks the student for a student ID number if the school uses that or a SS# if it doesn't; however, it also gives the student the option of not entering SS#.  We don't like giving it out if not necessary.  Are there any benefits or drawbacks of giving it? 

The college board will eventually need it I think some will be tied with possible scholarships.

I do have a friend that has rescinded his SS # and he understands how to not use it if you don't have it.  But if you have one I don't think you can get away with not using it on this.

We are on the fence about giving it this year (dd is a junior), but leaning toward NOT providing it.

A benefit of providing the number is that CB will use it to cross reference the PSAT, AP, SAT II, SAT scores, etc.

A negative is that the number is "out there".

We don't provide SSNs unless absolutely necessary. DD has a shot at qualifying with her PSAT this year, but I just don't know if I want to give out her number on her just having a 'shot'. She will only be taking the SAT if she qualifies. She will not be taking any SAT tests. She *might* be taking an AP test (if we can find a location that will accept her that is closer than the two hours' drive location that we know of). For us, it just doesn't look like the benefit will outweigh the potential risk of using it.

I guess, in reading my own comments, that she probably won't be giving it out.

As for colleges, yes, ds had to provide his SSN on all of his applications last year. That really ticked us off. I have only a little problem providing it once he chooses a school and enrolls (and, of course, for scholarships), but just to apply?! And there was no way around it.... Grrrr.

Both my dc are in college now and both took tons of tests--PSAT, SAT, lots of SAT II's, AP, ACT.  They did not provide their SSNs on any of the tests, and it was never an issue.  They did have to provide it on college applications--no way around that.

I believe the reason College Board asks for the SSN is to more easily match up the test scores for a particular student, and to make it easier for colleges to match up scores with the correct application.  However, my dc applied to all sorts of different colleges, including some very large ones and some highly selective ones that receive more than 10,000 applications every year.  None of them had any problem matching up their scores.  Plus, we have a really common last name and both dc's first names are common as well (at dd's small college, there are 5 others with the same name!)  But really, if you think about it, a simple check of both name and address (and maybe birthdate) is all that's needed to match up the scores.

Not needed for tests. Later, it will be required for college and scholarship applications. No downside that we experienced for NOT providing it on PSAT, SAT and ACT tests that DSs took.

And it's easy to track all your own scores through the accounts you set up online when registering for SAT and ACT. Plus, you end up with physical print-outs in-hand for comparison with national averages.