Menu

found a lump

Melissa in Australia

And really I have had Drs not listen to me well. I don't deal with frustration very well. Once I had a Dr trying to talk me out a test and I started crying. They said "It is probably stress upsetting you." I said, "This is not stress, this is anger.  You are making me angry."

They were  :ohmy:  But they ended up doing what I wanted.

Well I rang my mum, and she told me to get right on the phone and get another appointment. So I did. the receptionist said the soonest they could get an appointment was next week. I started crying  she got me in in 30 minutes. I saw a different doctor. He said he could feel what I was feeling, but it doesn't feel cancerous. He is sending me for both a mammogram and ultrasound. I will have that in just under 2 weeks. the Dr told me not to worry and he is sure it will be absolutely fine. I am pretty sure the only reason he is sending me for the exams is because of my highly stressed state.

Thank you everyone so much for bullying me into going back. I really needed it.

You go, girl!

Yes, you are probably fine. Most people are. If the tests come back with a less desirable outcome, you have needed information and you will have been proactive right at the start. Either way, getting more testing is a good choice. Good for you.

I'm sorry--truly sorry--for how shaky you feel right now. :grouphug:

He is sending me for both a mammogram and ultrasound. I will have that in just under 2 weeks. the Dr told me not to worry and he is sure it will be absolutely fine.

The peace of mind will be absolutely worth it - and they'll have the baseline they need for future routine tests.  Win-win.

In the meantime, since he was able to feel what you felt and is making an educated guess, you can have some preliminary peace of mind (nothing compared to what you will have later, but it's still something).

I'm glad this worked out!

I think  you have some misinformation. Staging is done based not just on size of the tumor but whether it has spread to the lymph nodes and beyond.

Women can definitely feel tumors smaller than stage 3. Radiation is given after a stage 1 tumor, sometimes even for DCIS (Stage 0) Chemo depends on the type of breast cancer and the stage. Stage 2 cancers are likely treated with chemo.

Darn. There was a link in there when I first posted it.  It's at cancer.gov if the link doesn't work this timehttp://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/breast/Patient/page2

• 2 weeks later...

update

I had my mammogram and ultrasound today. Firstly the technician did the mammogram and ultrasound and sent them to the radiologist, She thought everything looked OK . The radiologist found some abnormality in the mammogram that wasn't present in the ultrasound so he came in and did another ultrasound personally. His conclusion was that the abnormality in the  breast tissue is what I am feeling and it is not cancerous. So the verdict is that I am fine, but if I notice any change at all then straight back to the dr.

oh good. You may have caught them on a bad day but avoid that doctor in future. And remember no matter what they think doctors do not sit on the right hand of God. Can they actually be sure from an ultrasound though ? - the surgeon who has booked me for a MRI gave the impression they found stuff with that and then investigated. A friend of mine in her 20's had a needle biopsy done for a lump recently (but her mother was dying of breast cancer and the doctor was allowing for her being more than usually worried).

I am so glad to read this update.  I read the thread when new but I couldn't bring myself to post to you because I had just returned from the Memorial Service of my 36 year old friend who died of breast cancer.  She was told the first lump she found was 'nothing to worry about' because she was only 32. By the time someone thought she should worry it was too late. 

Glad you got good news.

so glad you went and that they redid the ultrasound. 

you must feel wonderfully relieved right now.

in the better safe than sorry department, maybe ask for a repeat in 6 months, which will confirm that it is just tissue you are feeling.

(or if there is a difference from now, they can investigate further.)

i am overly cautious about this stuff, but i have reached an age where so many of my friends have stories....

ann 

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful likes and messages.

I am greatly relieved with the results. I had worked myself up into a tizzy and after I came out of the hospital I was just about chucking up. DH couldn't believe my reaction and kept asking me why I wasn't relieved. Of course I was relieved!