Menu

How do you help your Aspie child get organized?

Abbeygurl4

My ds-14 is very disorganized. All his classes are online this year through 3 different websites. He is constantly forgetting to get his work done. How do I know what he is actually capable of or if I am expecting too much? Also, I'm ADD and have terrible organizational skills. It's like the blind leading the blind over here  :confused1: .

He absolutely HATES writing things down. Maybe a white board or something? I've tried iCal on the iMac but I don't know if he actually "sees" it since the reminders keep popping up and he just ignores them. How do we organize his paperwork (there isn't much), he keeps losing track of it. I'm wracking my brain here! I just don't know how to teach skills that I don't have.

He has Algebra, physical science, Church History (Alexandria Tutorials), and Writing the Essay (Alexandria Tutorials). That's it for now because I've realized since just recently finding out ds has Asperger's that I have got to work on life skills with him. But that is a whole other post!

For our ds, who is also terribly disorganized:

All school happens at his desk. His books rest in a crate on his desk. One desk drawer contains all science supplies. The other deep drawer has his reference books. His other supplies are in a desk organizer. He is allowed to wander to another room to read, with permission, but I then know I need to follow up with him to make sure he is staying on task.

He has a written planner. All assignments go into the planner. I check it and his work daily. At 3:00, an alarm goes off on my phone to help remind me that if I haven't already checked his work and schedule that I need to do so. At the end of the schoolday, I verify that all work is done and that all materials have been put away. We spent way too many mornings before this searching for missing books. It's easier to have everything back in the crate behind dividers at the end of the day.

IME, most teen boys aren't ready to be entirely on their own for school. They still need the accountability discussions.

Book recommendation: Smart but Scattered Teens

Late, Lost, and Unprepared is a book you might check out. We aren't as far along as you--we're working on resistance to tasks that make my 9 y.o. son with Asperger's anxious, but I have tried using parts of the book, and I like it for what I've needed so far. Chores supposedly help with executive function, but it takes work to teach them and stay with it (consider Children Who Do Too Little by Patricia Sprinkle) that you might not have time for in the middle of a school challenge. They really help my son. We also let him have a lot of free time to piddle with his interests since they require planning and executing a plan (screen time doesn't count for this).

:bigear: I could have pretty much written the same post.  Great question! (No answers.)  My 14yo has 2 outside classes this year.  We've already had one teacher meeting (another parent will help him make sure at least everything gets in his binder to get home!)  He has promised to at a minimum hole punch everything before the next class.  Expecting to be contacted for the other class shortly!   His online classes are going a little better (not as much to misplace since its all online!)  But he does struggle with reading ALL the instructions and misses some things he's supposed to do.   At home, with chores and such, he only hears the first thing he's supposed to do...turns out he has the same problem in written form...he does the first thing it says to do, but then never returns for the next instruction!  If the online class had firm due dates I don't think he could manage...fortunately both classes are more like finish this much by the end of the semester (well...maybe that will come to bite us by the end of the semester!)  Anyway, just wanted to say I'm right there with you, and so glad you asked!!

• 4 weeks later...