Menu

has anyone had a tummy tuck or mommy makeover?

MAIMOM

i have been thinking about my hubby's comment after a friend had a boo b job and lypo. He said" we do not think anything of a person spending $5000 for braces for self esteem reasons so why not boo bs or a tummy tuck? It is the same type of thing".

That has made me think about getting a mommy makeover. I talked with DH and he would support me in having some work done. How would I go about starting this type of thing?

Have you thought of it? Researched it? Had the procedure? If you have are you glad you did?

Where would one start to find a Dr?

• Like 2

I have thought of it. I'm the last person anyone would think of having 'cosmetic surgery' done.  I'm just an ordinary person that isn't very worried about my looks.  Yet, if I lost all the weight I want to (big 'if'!), I would consider having a tummy tuck.  I just know I'd feel better if I didn't have sagging skin.  I feel the same way as your dh...and I think it's wonderful that he supports you in this!

The thought has crossed my mind, but the difference to me is that these are surgeries; not simply visiting an orthodontist for weekly appointments.

There are many more complications and a much greater risk any time you are getting surgery, so I view this differently. It isn't just about the amount of money being spent.

I am not against it. Just viewing it differently.  ;)

• Like 11

It is surgery. There are risks to surgery. Are the risks that important to you. If yes, proceed. 

However, I think your dh has made a faulty comparison. 

My dc did not have orthodontic work (not surgery) for self esteem. Only on dc had braces. She actually had a physical problem to be fixed, straighter teeth was a side benefit. She was recommended stage 2 work, but we aren't doing it because the ortho said it wouldn't solve anything major. 

My niece had braces for major problems, plus her teeth were so misaligned she wouldn't open her mouth at 9 years old. If a child is afraid of someone seeing her teeth at 9 it's not "a little self esteem issue". Honestly, if I had teeth pointing multiple directions I wouldn't open my mouth either. It was bad. 

• Like 5

I have considered it.  My fear of complications will probably stop me from every doing it though.  Who knows though.  When my DD is old enough to handle driving, maybe I will look into it closer.  Right now I carry extra skin on my stomach care of carrying twins to full term.  If I was going under for the belly, I'd get the girls worked on as well (they are sad).

• Like 4

I have a friend who had a nip and a tuck after her last child, and though the recovery was painful for a couple of days, she never regretted it.  Did you ever watch Dr. 90210 when it was on?  I had a newborn when it was on during the wee hours of the morning, so I watched numerous episodes.  I learned (1) that I will never, ever have a nose job; and (2) though the patients look and feel horrendous immediately afterwards, they never say it wasn't worth it.  The featured patients are not necessarily a representative sampling, of course, but they did not seem to even remember the immediate aftermath. 

If those were my body issues, yes, I would seriously consider it.

My dh had a tummy tuck about 4 years ago. He lost a lot of weight from his college years and the skin was too much for his self esteem. It was SCARY! This is a serious surgery and you will require help just to do little things for about a week. Once he recovered he said it was worth it. I would love a boob job but I'll never do it. The risk of putting something foreign in your body is too much for me. But I'll do other things as I age and have the money for.

I don't have issues with my tummy or bust, but I had lasik for my eyes because I HATED glasses so much, and I had laser treatment to get rid of brown spots on my face that made me extremely self-conscious.

So I say if it will make you feel more confident about your body, go for it.  Just research and choose doctor VERY carefully, and not based on cost.

(ETA I will say that after my Lasik I had a very brief period before my vision cleared that was really blurry.  I was TERRIFIED that I had done something voluntarily that might have hurt me.  But as soon as it cleared up I got over it really quick!)

• Like 3

I have such mixed feelings about this. It's so easy to see both sides. I can't really believe that I have become a person who takes the idea of cosmetic surgery even slightly seriously -- yet apparently it's OK with me if I harangue myself int diet and exercise for months on end to accomplish the same thing... So if the goal is not wrong, why do my instincts tell me that a "shortcut" is any big deal? Particularly because I "got" my problem areas at least partially through surgery (c-section), yet it's inconceivable to use that option to partially amend it?

• Like 2

I know someone who had the gastric band for weight loss and then a tummy tuck to deal with the sagging skin.  She has never regretted it, and was very graphic in her description of the drains etc.  She still looks fabulous and he self esteem did improve, she never thought it was low, but she had heard comments for years about her size etc and when the external comments changed to how good she looked there was that boost.

Anyway, if I ever have the money and have lost this weight, I am going to have a tummy tuck and booK job done.  Before kids I was barely an A cup, now I am a C and they are saggy enough I get heat rash under them etc.  I want to keep the size but have them lifted back up.  and I want my "mother's apron" of skin and fat to be cut off and gone, after my c-section that whole section of my tummy went numb anyway.  That said with my current health issues I may never lose the weight and even if I did they may not feel I am a suitable candidate to get it done.  But I certainly hope I can.  I don';t want to live the rest of my life looking like a saggy baggy elephant.

• Like 1

I have not had any cosmetic surgery and doubt that I ever will.  To me, the risks outweigh the potential benefits.  It's just not for me.

That said, I don't have a problem with other people having work done.  If you think it will help you feel better and increase your enjoyment of life, go for it!  Definitely do your research and get lots of recommendations before selecting a cosmetic surgeon.

• Like 1

My thoughts as someone who probably wouldn't do it, but know many women who've had it done:

* Recovery will be painful, especially if you get it all done at once. You won't be able to drive for at least a week, if not longer because both your chest and stomach will hurt.

* Yoir body might look better, but will not be "pre baby". There is still a lot of skin wrinkling and if any lipo is done as part of the procedure, the wrinkling can be worse.

* If you get the tummy tuck, make sure the doctor removes the original belly button. I've seen women who find out after the fact that although a new belly button is constructed, the old one is still there.

* In terms of augmentation, be careful of the upsell. A friend was petite, but had a big rib cage so the doctor convinced her she could "support" a larger size. It made her very top heavy and I thought it wasn't flattering. She was happy though.

* In five or ten years, the implants will probably need to be replaced. I wish doctors were more honest about maintenance. I know there are women who've had implants for many years, but from what I understand, this is not the norm. You will probably need to have surgery again.

All this being said, every women I know who had the were was really happy with the results. They did it for themselves, not their husbands. In fact, there was often an adjustment period where the husband was unhappy with his wife, because in one husband's own words, his wife was making herself more attractive to other men. I'm not saying his feelings were correct, just that in many cases, there was some emotional turmoil between husband and wife.

I would totally do breast augmentation, if it didn't have to be redone every so many years and the weird health risks from foreign objects in your body weren't so many. And if it would not look ridiculous...which it would.

I used to have small, but cute books. Nursing gave me non existent, wrinkly old toddler socks. (isn't that a lovely visual? Sorry!) But every one I ever met who has my size frame (very slight, boney) who got augmentation looks ridiculous, they look like bolted on flesh color balloons. Even celebrities (who can ostensibly afford the best of surgeons) end up looking like that- think Tori Spelling.

So alas, it's padded bras and tricks for me. I suppose it's safer anyway, and certainly cheaper!

• Like 2

I would do it in a heartbeat and plan to... someday.

I've had 5 kids, lost all the weight and I feel fantastic. But the skin on my tummy is "wrinkled" and I'd LOVE to get it taken care of. And yes, if I had the tummy tuck I'd have the girls lifted a bit too.

This, exactly.

I've not had it done. My tummy is flat but I've got stretch marks and wrinkling that comes from carrying babies. It's nothing that bothers me and I'm not sure that adding a scar to the mix down there would make me happier, in any case.

I know ladies that have had tummy tucks and/or breast work and they were pleased with the results immediately. My friends with implants all had some side effects, from mild rippling to noticeable capsular contracture that required follow up surgery. One of my friends eventually elected to have her implants removed. One of them had hers re-done after about 10 years. Several of my friends need to have them re-done but have put it off.

Three of my friends have gone on to have other procedures done as well -- botox, lip injections, chemical peels, etc. -- in their late 20s and early 30s, which seem fairly young for that sort of thing to me, but who am I to say? They say that it makes them happy.

I had a breast reduction when I was 19 and have never, ever regretted it for even one second. I also had braces for cosmetic reasons twice.

I have a friend who had a nip and a tuck after her last child, and though the recovery was painful for a couple of days, she never regretted it.  Did you ever watch Dr. 90210 when it was on?  I had a newborn when it was on during the wee hours of the morning, so I watched numerous episodes.  I learned (1) that I will never, ever have a nose job; and (2) though the patients look and feel horrendous immediately afterwards, they never say it wasn't worth it.  The featured patients are not necessarily a representative sampling, of course, but they did not seem to even remember the immediate aftermath. 

If those were my body issues, yes, I would seriously consider it.

I'm not sure that the featured patients would make a representative sample.  For one, few people having gone through that expense would want to claim it wasn't worth it -- that's tantamount to admitting they were foolish and wasted a lot of money.  Most people having expended a significant amount insist on believing it was all worth it, regardless of any misgivings they might be experiencing.  Similarly, any TV show wishing to continue showing such surgeries will not gain much cooperation from surgeons if they show too many negative reviews from patients (even if the surgeons are not identified).  Scaring people off of an industry will not effectively persuade cooperation from that industry.

I've wondered about it myself from time to time, though I likely won't have anything done.  Part of it is the expense.  Part of it is letting someone carve into me.  Part of it is feeling like a hypocrite after telling my kids repeatedly over the years that one shouldn't judge people on how they look or how young they seem to be (this is especially important right now, as my eldest DD is 12 and entering puberty).

Part of it, though, is the explicit description a coworker once gave (when I asked) of her own surgery.  Hers was done partly for medical reasons -- she had injured her back on the job when working as a sheriff's deputy, and the extra weight around her middle was straining her back.  That vivid description still sticks in my mind years later.  And she showed me the result -- looked great under clothes, but with the bare skin exposed it wasn't so pretty.

Have I ever had elective surgery -- yes.  I had Lasik.  And it was one of the most difficult things for me to do, riding out gut-level fear in order to stay still throughout the procedure.  My Lasik wasn't for vanity, but for function.  If my glasses got knocked off my face and I didn't watch them as they fell I couldn't see well enough to find them again.  Not a good situation for a mother with a baby and a toddler.  The doctors (some of the best in the WORLD, with clients from all over the world, and who had other doctors sending their mishaps to them to be fixed) couldn't even guarantee I'd be glasses-free when they were done (my eyesight was BAD).  All I wanted, though, was to be able to find my glasses again after they got knocked off my face.  It was bonus (and due to the talents of the doctor) that I did, in fact, end up glasses-free.  But I not only had checked these guys out thoroughly ahead of time -- several family members, including DH (whose surgery I watched) had it done before me by these very doctors.  I was as confident in them as I would ever be in an eye surgeon.

Do I look at my sagging bits and "overstuffed" bits and think wistfully about doing something?  Yes, from time to time.  But I remember how easily I scar, how scared I was during my Lasik and c-sections, and how I've been promoting the everyday body as beautiful, and I realize "Nope.  Not there yet."

But I support anyone who feels strongly enough to give it a try, though I'd like it if they are at least 30 years of age (preferably 40+).  It just seems wrong for anyone in their 20's or younger to be worrying about the affects of age when they have two thirds of their life span still ahead of them.

• Like 3

My last c/s was left jagged and puckered. The result is it still hurts if I move wrong. The pulling along the incision line feels suddenly sharp and tearing and it's unavoidable. If I could remove that line or just clean it up to where it wasn't like that anymore, I'd do it. Obviously I'm capable of just sucking it up and dealing with it, but it would be quite nice not to have to endure that unnecessarily for the rest of my life. The scar line seem to have created an itty ledge of sorts now that I've lost weight. It's unsightly to me, but dh doesn't seem off out by it, so. Idk. Whatever. And I know that's what it is because I didn't have anything like that with previous c/s or pregnancies.

Boobs are fine I guess. I've seen worse in younger women who have never breastfed. *shrug* I'd never implant something. I suppose I could get a reduction instead, but I don't really need one.

To hear other women talking, I am mostly just grateful my inner woman parts don't fall out if I sneeze. Seriously. I hear horror stories. And the first thing women ask me in private is questions like: Don't you have continence problems or vaginal prolapse or ...

Um. No. Thank goodness. :o)

Usually when I hear about mommy makeovers, it's not tummy tucks. It's pelvic floor reconstruction, hysterectomy, bladder slings, and maybe a boob job. Maybe. Usually not.

And yes, cost is a factor.

For me, if I lost all my weight (another 15 to go and I will have lost 75 pounds this year! Yay me! ;p ) AND knew I was never getting pregnant again AND had a minimally invasive method to consider? Yes, I'd consider it.

I don't think it's anything like braces though. :)

• Like 4

I have a friend who did it. She had twins and then a singleton, all c-section. Her abs and breasts were seriously showing the wear and tear. She lives in an area known for having 'beautiful people' so she felt the pressure to measure up. Finally, she is a doctor and had the $ so why not?

It was not an easy procedure. Recovery took a long time and was painful. Words like 'drainage tubes' were used.  All that said, she looks great and is very happy with it.

Do your research. She did lots of talking and getting referrals. I believe she ended up traveling to get a doctor she wanted to work with. She understood the pros and cons of different types of breast implants (under the muscle vs ?....I can't remember now). There were choices to make. She went in and asked questions and found a doctor willing to listen to her.

Oh, I know now..she started it only wanting to get the ab work done. Her belly skin was so loose that she could roll it up. It was later on that she decided to also get her breasts lifted as part of the procedure. It turns out it was much cheaper to get them done together. Paying for anesthesia twice, hospital room twice etc really adds up.

Now, I also have two older friends who have had face lifts. I don't think that is worth the money. I know others who get botox or facial peels and laser work done, that seems to be a better spending of that kind of cash. For the cost and pain of a face lift, I just don't think they looked much better or different. I think they could have spend less on drastic procedures and got better results.

I swear when I am in my 50s (not that far away now!) I am going to have my eyes 'done'. My grandfather and my mom both have that old person thing where their upper brow sags to the point that it interferes with vision. That, IMHO, is a totally legit issue to deal with, not vanity. My mom is so anti anything like 'cosmetic surgery' that she won't hear a word spoken about her eye problem. I am NOT going to do that. I want to read and see and everything else you need eyes for.

Funny thing is, she got bunion surgery so she wouldn't 'walk like an old person'. My mom was a geriatric nurse and she is a big believer in taking care of your feet so you can continue to exercise and walk and take care of yourself. She just can't see where she is walking! 

• Like 2

Eye lids! That and LASIK I would do in a heart beat in a few years. I wouldn't want them done too young bc it will need redone at some point.

But my family has hounddog eyes after about age 55. By 60ish, the upper brow hangs so low it can literally obstruct their vision some. At mid 70s my dad had to have his lifted because it was really affecting his vision.

I plan to get a breast lift and tummy tuck after I have lost all my weight and maintained it for one year.  I birthed and nursed 7 children, so everything sags.  Add to that the tremendous amount of weight I have lost (and more I will lose) and it just needs to be done.

If I am going to work this hard, I am going to go all the way.

• Like 2

I always lose the baby weight and am at a healthy weight now, but I have a diastasis (much improved thanks to the Tupler Technique, however). I have wrinkly belly skin that bothers me. However, I am unlikely to ever pursue it because:

1) with a real tummy tuck, recovery time is pretty bad. You are quite limited, and it is difficult.

2) The mesh used in some of these repairs has been linked to issues that I'm not willing to sign up for at this point in time.

3) Anesthesia has very real risks, and I'm not sure I'm willing to take those risks for an elective procedure.

But I most definitely think about it!

• Like 1

One of the reasons I fear elective surgery is the nightmare that became of DH's LASIK surgery.  He ended up with a crease on one of his flaps that had to be corrected by suturing it down and even then he had to have PKR to get the vision correct in it.  This is definitely an example of research the person you have performing the surgery.  This guy was one of the cheaper guys in town and only did LASIK surgeries.  He did a lot of them.  DH even had good reviews from some people that had used the guy.  Guess what the corneal specialist said about the doctor, the majority of his cases that involved flubbed up surgeries came from this guy!  I guess when you do 100 surgeries a week and you only have a 1-2% mess up rate it probably isn't all that bad until you are the 1-2%.

I have enjoyed reading responses and if I knew how to quote many I would. Congrats to those that have lost weight.

My DH was not saying all braces are for only cosmetic. Our Dd needed to widen her mouth and it also helped with her breathing but my main thing was in how the narrow squirrel mouth affected her self image.

I am 43 and had 3 c sections.......I well remember the pain! I knew a woman a few years ago that had a tummy tuck and she said it hurt worse.....um...that has kept me from seriously thinking about it. Then 3 years ago a neighbor he her girls done and lypo...going to stay with her and seeing how much pain she was in for the first week makes me think hard. Both women are glad they did it. I wonder about DH...he hated for me to go under anestesia when I had to with my babaies!not sure he will love that reality. The risks are real.

We have disposable income and could afford the procedures. I have not lost a ton of weight and I could stand too. Our life has been so stressful the last ten years and I have stayed about the same weight??I have lost then gained and lost then gained. It seems every time I set out to loose the end result was a size larger! I told my DH I am not dieting again.

I would like to get rid of the belly so it will just be me and my DH having s*x and not me, him and the belly. He is a very supportive DH and tells me how beautiful I am and that he loves my curves....I just look at my belly and wonder how that, thus me can be s*xy.

I do have two teen girls nd I wonder how this will impact them???what message they may get. We never talk about weight or dieting...only eating healthy. It is not a must have but would be a great to have!

I plan to get a breast lift and tummy tuck after I have lost all my weight and maintained it for one year. I birthed and nursed 7 children, so everything sags. Add to that the tremendous amount of weight I have lost (and more I will lose) and it just needs to be done.

If I am going to work this hard, I am going to go all the way.

Oh, I hear ya! I have birthed and nursed 7 children also. Over the past 20 years I have gained and lost more weight an I care to even figure out. My greatest loss was 115lb. I am now in the best physical shape of my life....and boy, oh, boy would I love a quick fix to my battered belly and droopy books! However, the cost! Oh my, the COST!! I still have 4 kids needing to go through college, a business and a home to renovate....priorities!

Anyway, I will just keep working out like a maniac! It keeps me from depression and it holds my anxiety at bay, so, having a nicer body is a great side effect.

Now, MiF I had the funds, I would have some surgery in a heartbeat! I wouldn't want to augment, but lift and smooth.... My belly is a mess! c-section and a huge weight gain with my oldest made me look like an old balloon that lost its air....sigh.

I had a tummy tuck after my 4th and final child was born.  I would totally do it all over again.  I've never had a c section so I have nothing to compare it too, but it did involve a day or so of pain after the surgery itself.  I really didn't think the recovery was that big of a deal though, I'm in great shape, I work out almost daily, run marathons, ect and because of that my recovery was quick.  I'm completely happy with my results and it was worth the time and expense.

• Like 2

Sometimes I think I would like to get my wrinkly tummy taken care of, and my jiggly neck.  I've lost over 100 pounds in the past several years and it shows.  But the moment I think of the actual surgery, I also remember my c-section with the failed anesthesia and I just can't go there.

Sometimes I think I would like to get my wrinkly tummy taken care of, and my jiggly neck. I've lost over 100 pounds in the past several years and it shows. But the moment I think of the actual surgery, I also remember my c-section with the failed anesthesia and I just can't go there.

Yes. That's why I said minimally invasive. Major surgery? Nope. Science is going to have to progress further than that for me to sign up. One unmedicated surgery was enough tyvm.

• 1 year later...

I go back and forth about it.  I have "twin skin" and it seriously messes with my self esteem sometimes. On the flip side, I really don't want to have an elective surgery to live up to some standard put on to women that's unfair and mostly unattainable.

Usually I'm like, "eh, whatever. I carried twins 38.5 weeks this is my battle scar."  Other times it's, "I DON'T WANT TO TUCK MY SKIN INTO MY PANTS ANYMORE."

So, jury is still out for me.

If life goes as planned, it'll be my 40th bday gift to myself. :-) Just a tummy tuck and getting the girls lifted. I was a 32E before babies, and now I'm just a saggy mess. I'm sure a few more pregnancies/nurslings are not going to improve the situation. DH is adamant about being done with babies after he's 40, so that gives me a few years to maintain the weight loss and nurse that last baby as long as we both want.

I figure I'll have a long time to live in this body, and I 'd rather enjoy the way I look. No matter how toned I get, nothing will fix saggy tummy skin. Plus, with large, saggy booKs, I currently look much heavier than I am. Even an awesome booKshelf can't really fix it.

I wouldn't have either done. Maaaaaybe lipo, after losing all my weight, to remove the emaciated fat cells and make regain a little easier to control (long story, lots of science to that one). But just for cosmetics? I'm not comfortable with the cost or safety, and quite frankly I don't see the need to mutilate my body to make it more attractive. It's good enough as is, even with saggy skin, stretchmarks, and enormous bOOks.

I'm sorry to sound naive, but is it really not possible to take care of flab and extra skin around the belly through a healthy diet and exercise?  

I am at a good weight after our fifth and final baby, but still do not have the abs I had pre-pregnancy.  This summer, I am finally ready to lose the remaining ten pounds or so and get toned again.  I had thought it would just be a matter of limiting sweets and starting to have regular work-outs.  I haven't thought much about surgery, as it is not the norm in my area (rural New England), and I don't know anyone who has had work done.

I'm sorry to sound naive, but is it really not possible to take care of flab and extra skin around the belly through a healthy diet and exercise?

I am at a good weight after our fifth and final baby, but still do not have the abs I had pre-pregnancy. This summer, I am finally ready to lose the remaining ten pounds or so and get toned again. I had thought it would just be a matter of limiting sweets and starting to have regular work-outs. I haven't thought much about surgery, as it is not the norm in my area (rural New England), and I don't know anyone who has had work done.

I don't think so. Once skin is stretched beyond it's capacity to rebound, that's it.

• Like 1