Menu

If you used one and only one Math curriculum for elementary

Which one was it?

I see a lot of people using multiple math curricula and while I can see that it would have definite benefit for some kids and some families, I'd like to hear about the Math Curricula that are used all by themselves.

If you used the occasional supplement then that doesn't count, but if you used something that is a complete Math curricula as a supplement, then can you please share how and why you did?

Bump.

I guess there is no one...

If I was using only one Maths curriculum with my dd, I would do Singapore Maths with all it's components. While I like parts of MEP, MM and Miquon, I feel each of them lacks a little - not enough word problems, not a good layout, not K-12, etc. Overall, I think Singapore Maths is more complete and usable as-is than all of those others.

We used a variety: mostly a Steiner curriculum with Key to...., which was fabulous but DS out grew this and also needed more review. We played with Fred, then shifted to MEP. The closer we get to the end of MEP yr 6 the more I regret not starting it earlier. It's a very clever, complex curriculum and has prepared DS12 very, very well for the Australian high curriculum (we're currently in year 7, the first year of high school for us, and there is lots of overlap between MEP6 and Aust year 7). DS wasn't mathy at all before this. He's taken to algebra really easily, thought directed numbers were stupidly easy and blitzed probability. He still loathes geometry, though!

D

Until I discovered MEP I used Miquon followed by Singapore 3(which we moved through very quickly) and then on to Singapore 4-6.

Now I use Miquon Orange in K and then MEP.  I haven't had anyone yet go from MEP 1-6, but I have one who started with 2A and is almost done with 5B and three other kids at various levels of MEP.

I agree with D about MEP.  The further I get the more I like it.

I used Rod & Staff 1-5 complete, bounced around unsuccessfully with several other curriculum last year (LOF, Key to...) before going back to a combo of R&S 6 and 7 to finish out the year with my oldest child.  My middle child began using MUS with Alpha and will continue with it until she graduates (her request).  My youngest will move to R&S as soon as he is able to write well enough to do the 4th grade book and use it through the 7th grade book.

In the beginning ds and I were using MCP Math with the occasional Miquon, but that didn't work for him. I switched to using exclusively Math Mammoth - started from 1A and never looked back. Now he's in fifth and in 4B and we're going to finish the whole series. This is all he needs.

Dd6, however, is thriving with doing Miquon and MM on altrnate days.

If I had to choose only one elementary math program, it would either be MM or Singapore.

I would recognize that, generally, there is a little bit of a difference between K/early 1st math and the rest of the grades, so that would seem to me to be another natural breaking point where one might use a different program (or less formal, regular activities) before the bulk of elementary math.

With Calvin I used Singapore Maths until he was about nine, then switched to a Galore Park/Life of Fred combination.  With Hobbes, I used Singapore maths at the beginning, but as soon as he was old enough (aged 7) I switched him to Galore Park and he used that until he went to school at 10.  I think both Singapore and Galore Park are good programmes.

L

We used Horizons all the way through K-6.  

The first year of homeschool I tried MUS and Miquon(twice actually).  We did a few books of Singapore Earlybird.  I looked at other things along the way.  At the end of that 1st grade year Ds hated MUS so we switched to Horizons and he did the entire 1st grade book that summer.  Dd was put into K that summer.  So technically they did MUS and Horizons that year LOL!!!

But the kids did Horizons completely....ds did 1-6 and dd did k-6(finishing this year).  

They did some online math games(timez attack, Xtramath) for review.  We had the math wrap ups too.  but our main program was Horizons. 

I will say that the program is really best used in it's entirety b/c it's spiral.  But at the end I can say now that it's solid and my kids know their math.  I was frustrated with it every year for various reasons but we are all glad we stuck with it.  

I used singapore straight through with my oldest from K to 4th grade. 

It wasn't great for my 2nd, so I switched them both to LOF )I had planned to switch at 5th grade, but decided to take DS2 along with him). 

We are planning to stay with LOF all the way through, supplementing as needed with Khan Academy and work books for skills review. So far,. we are very happy. 

I have used both Saxon & Singapore.  I like Singapore better, but switched back to Saxon for 1 reason only... My inability to teach higher Math.  I have pretty much maxed out my ability to explain the math for anything higher than pre-algebra.  With Saxon you have the option of getting the Saxon teacher CDs/DVDs, which I did, and there is also online support for kids to ask the experts directlly. 

As far as I know, nothing similar exists for Singapore.  So unless you are mathy, it may be hard to continue Singapore beyond 6B or Discovering Mathemetics 1.  I was looking for a program you could continue all the way through Advanced Mathematics which is why I narrowed in on these two programs. 

As we get higher up I think it is important to throw some different materials in there so students can learn to solve problems in more than one way, and understand different ways of presenting the material. 

my oldest 5 kids used absolutely nothing except Horizons math for K-6 grade level books.   They are all very strong math students.  (one is a chemE and one is taking university level linear alg (which is a high level math, not a review level alg) at the local university as a 12th grader.  Another took alg and geo in middle school.  :)

I've used Math Mammoth for 2-5 and plan to use it for 6th as well. I supplement only for fun (Beast Academy--we have done about 3 of the 4 Grade 3 workbooks, since DS loves the comic book format and I like the reinforcement).

I am using/plan to use MM with both girls as well.

Which one was it?

I see a lot of people using multiple math curricula and while I can see that it would have definite benefit for some kids and some families, I'd like to hear about the Math Curricula that are used all by themselves.

If you used the occasional supplement then that doesn't count, but if you used something that is a complete Math curricula as a supplement, then can you please share how and why you did?

For ds12 we used MUS all the way through elementary.  However for our daughters using the same mastery approach did not work.  So we adjusted.

The problem is all children are different.  So if a parent is determined to use only *one* program for all children through elementary come hell or high water, sure, it can be done.  But I guess I would also want to know why?  This isn't to imply one program only couldn't necessarily work for all one's children as there are cases when it does.  But to start with this as a premise or prerequisite is potentially setting one's self up for failure or at the very least problems.  IMO, a primary goal with math instruction is to tailor the program to a child's bent or learning style even if/when it deviates from a pre-purchased product or other siblings.  That is why the classified section works so great for many of us.  And sometimes you'll find used curriculum for the same reasons.

Just my 2c FWIW  ;)

Nothing. Zip. Nada. At least nothing formal. Skip counting cds, games, counting, helping cook, do things around the house, sharing cookies and MONEY, but nothing formal till age 10. 

Both of my dc started algebra in middle school. 

Full disclosure: I had Cuisenaire rods available for both dc, but neither cared for them. I didn't have any books to us w/ them, but mine were not interested. 

I am using one for each child. All three of my kids are doing different curriculums, but only one each.

Singapore

A Beka

MCP (I would supplement MCP, but this kid is not mathy, he hates math, he clams up.... so, I figured, he won't be an engineer and this curriculum will give him the basics)

For ds12 we used MUS all the way through elementary.  However for our daughters using the same mastery approach did not work.  So we adjusted.

The problem is all children are different.  So if a parent is determined to use only *one* program for all children through elementary come hell or high water, sure, it can be done.  But I guess I would also want to know why?  This isn't to imply one program only couldn't necessarily work for all one's children as there are cases when it does.  But to start with this as a premise or prerequisite is potentially setting one's self up for failure or at the very least problems.  IMO, a primary goal with math instruction is to tailor the program to a child's bent or learning style even if/when it deviates from a pre-purchased product or other siblings.  That is why the classified section works so great for many of us.  And sometimes you'll find used curriculum for the same reasons.

Just my 2c FWIW  ;)

My original post may not have been clear, I'm only asking that if your child used one and only one math curriculum, what was it?

If you have 3 kids and each kid uses a different math curriculum, then that is fine. Perfectly legit, so long as each kid is using one and only one curriculum. It is okay to supplement.

I was just curious if any curriculum would emerge as the most popular for singular use, that is all. There was not a particular premise or intent or anything behind my question.

I am using one for each child. All three of my kids are doing different curriculums, but only one each.

Singapore

A Beka

MCP (I would supplement MCP, but this kid is not mathy, he hates math, he clams up.... so, I figured, he won't be an engineer and this curriculum will give him the basics)

Don't count him out yet, just because a kid doesn't seem "mathy" or isn't math (arithmetic + inane word-problems) inclined as a youngster, doesn't mean he won't be in a STEM or math heavy field later on, or even just pick up some math books one day and work through them on their own. Sometimes it is all a matter of motivation and personal growth. Ask me how I know? :laugh:

That is perfectly legit by the intent behind my original question, thanks.

Singapore - implemented when I found it.  

DS1 - did ABeka 1-4 and began Singapore PM 5 the year I discovered it then went through NEM4A (high school)

DS2 - did ABeka 1, 2 in first semester of first grade when we moved to Singapore PM 3 

DS3 - did Singapore PM 1-3, then MUS through 6th grade, back to Singapore at DM3

DS4 - Singapore all the way through DM3 (or 4?) He's doing concurrent maths now at the university

We discovered Singapore math around 1999.

My original post may not have been clear, I'm only asking that if your child used one and only one math curriculum, what was it?

If you have 3 kids and each kid uses a different math curriculum, then that is fine. Perfectly legit, so long as each kid is using one and only one curriculum. It is okay to supplement.

I was just curious if any curriculum would emerge as the most popular for singular use, that is all. There was not a particular premise or intent or anything behind my question.

That is perfectly legit by the intent behind my original question, thanks.

Ah, ok.  I see where you are coming from.  The questions just seemed a bit odd, especially in the context of multiple kids.  Though I know some who that has worked for.  We switched once from something not working (MUS) to something which was (CLE) for two out of three.  I think you'll find that quite common.  Then once into secondary math using a variety of texts/curricula is even more common, especially if outside classes are taken.

I've used Saxon from K- Algebra 1 for both of my boys (8th grade, 3rd grade).  Saxon made sense to me, and I just figured I could easily teach a curriculum if I understood how the material/concepts were being presented.  I've stuck with it because my kids continue to do very well in math. 

For us, it's been Math-U-See. 

One child completed Alpha through Pre-Algebra, and is currently working on Algebra I. We supplemented with Key to Fractions during the Epsilon book because fractions were kicking his butt and he needed a break from the Epsilon book.The other child completed Primer through Beta, and will begin working on Gamma next month.  We were given a RightStart game box, which gets played during free time but isn't necessarily used to supplement the Math-U-See.