Menu

Question for anyone who has used both Lial's and TT for Algebra

I have tried searching, but can't find anything about this being done..... DD is in chapter 4 of Lial's Introductory Algebra. She is doing well, but doesn't love it. She doesn't always get the instruction directly from the book, but does fine if I explain things using different phrasing. She has expressed an interest in trying something she could do more independently next year, and I have to admit that it would free up more time I could use with DS and for the subjects that are teacher intensive that I have them combined for. TT looks like it would fit the bill, but in looking at the table of contents for algebra II, it looks like a ton of the material is topics that we have covered or will cover this year in algebra I. I haven't given her their placement test yet, but it looks like she'll breeze through most of it. So, if anyone has switched between these programs, is the overlap that significant? Also, DD is on the young end for taking algebra, so taking extra time won't be a burden.

I had forgotten about Derek Owens -- maybe I should look again.

I had planned on using TT for geometry, so maybe doing that first, then using their algebra II when some review might come in handy would make more sense. I'm not really worried about things not being honors level at this point since none of it is going on a transcript, and she will have time to cycle back to topics she wants to do at a higher level by the time transcripts are an issue. One of my problems is that she has moved through things faster than I had expected, and some of the choices that made sense when I was planning don't seem like good fits for a younger math student. To complicate things even more, she is an odd mix of being really good at math while not enjoying the subject at all. 

If I go with TT algebra II I have 3 possible paths:

1 -- Switch her to TT mid-year since there is so much overlap.

2 -- Finish up Lial this year, expect tons of review at the start of next year, but let that just be a nice confidence-builder.

3 -- Go with Geometry next year, then cycle back to algebra II.... or maybe alternate algebra II and geometry?