Menu

Science Labs in a Box - anyone use?

Hi,

I'm wondering about this program where they ship you everything you need for labs at 2 month intervals. I was considering using it with Apologia Biology. My 15yos would prefer to do science labs at home rather than with a 17 student weekly lab class led by a science teacher. I don't have a science background but am eager to learn and have the time to devote to this. Anyone have experience using this? Here's a link: http://labsinabox.com/

Thanks.

Yolanda

I didn't realize they were still around. I actually thought about them the other day...

They were really big in this area for a number of years, but then Mr. B. got into trouble with the law (supposedly obtained chemicals for persons who were using them to produce an illegal substance, something like crack cocaine... Mr. B. said he didn't realize that's what they were using the chemicals for, but the feds didnt think he could possibly have sold the chemicals in that quanity without having some idea... yadda yadda... don't know all the deatils, but Mr. B. ended up making a deal that required his confession to a lesser crime and a mandatory sentence). Labs in a box practically disappeared after that.

So that's the history... you're going to hear about it sooner or later, so might as well hear it now.

I think there were more people than Mr. B. involved with the company, so it was a sad situation for them. Maybe they're trying to resurrect it? I haven't seen their presence at the local homeschool conventions, though, so I don't know...

My concerns would be that Mr. B.'s lectures that come with the labs were tied to Bob Jones texts, and I think just about every single BJU science text since "the incident" has been updated. I do not know whether or not the labs are effected, though.

Not trying to spread bad reputation or anything... it's only fair that you should know, and I would definitely check into the compatability of the labs to the new texts (or to other texts/curriculum if you're not using BJU).

Other than that, they were always well received - I never heard a bad review.

HTH

Robin