Menu

Should I go over my supervisor's head?

I teach three classes per week at our local gym and have done so for the past two years. Recently we had a staff meeting and our group fitness co-ordinator said that because so many classes have been getting cancelled, he was cracking down with a zero tolerance policy. The result of pulling a "no-show" was the loss of the class or termination. I honestly didn't give it much thought because in 8 years of teaching group fitness, I have never not shown up to teach and I always get my classes covered.

So fast forward to this past weekend. The boys and I were up in NJ visiting family and before I left I got my classes covered. Sunday morning the person subbing my class calls me to say that she can't teach the 4:00 class. I am really irritated with her for doing this because once you agree to teach a class, it becomes your responsibility to cover it. So now I am scrambling to get the class covered. I called all of the yoga instructors and no one called me back. So I called my supervisor and he never called me back. I called the gym, told the girl at the front desk the sitaution and asked her to hang a sign on the door saying the class was cancelled.

I thought nothing else of it until today when I went to teach. After the babysitter arrived I head to the gym. I arrived there to find out that my supervisor took the class away from me. I can only assume it's because of the events from last Sunday. I am standing at the front desk, with four members, completely dumbfounded! And, I might add, embarassed.

My super never even called me to ask what happenend. Never acknowledged that I called him to solicit his help for cryin' out loud! Never did the courteous and professional thing which would have been to call me to tell me he was taking the class. I called him as soon as I got home and he has yet to call me back.

I was polite and calm when I called him but the longer he avoids me, which is his M.O., the angrier I am getting.

Should I wait until tomorrow and call him again? Or should I go over his head?

I am also annoyed that I paid a babysitter for nothing!:glare:

Oh man. That would make my blood boil!!!! I'm so sorry that happened to you!

I'd probably wait until your supervisor called you back so you could explain in person. If he doesn't call you back in a couple days, I'd go over his head. But, see what his reasoning is.

It seems as if the other person should have HER classes taken from her - not you! YOU did the right thing here. She should've found the replacement!

I would call him one more time. If he doesn't answer can you leave a voice mail. Since they are avoiding you, I would let that know that you'd like a response tomorrow morning or you are taking it above them, since they are non-responsive to the situation. I'm sure their boss would love to know how they are handling issues.

8 years should account for some leeway, especially since you had found your replacement and it was her responsbility.

OK. Like I said, he rarely calls back. I will leave him another message telling him that I will go over his head if I don't hear from him.

Just to clarify, I haven't worked at this gym for 8 years. I have been teaching for 8 years.:001_smile:

OK. Like I said, he rarely calls back. I will leave him another message telling him that I will go over his head if I don't hear from him.

Just to clarify, I haven't worked at this gym for 8 years. I have been teaching for 8 years.:001_smile:

E-mail as well - like Country Mouse said - then you have something in hand to prove you contacted him multiple times.

You may not be able to prove the initial phone call if he wants to deny it but at least the follow-up is documented.

I was polite and calm when I called him but the longer he avoids me, which is his M.O., the angrier I am getting.

He's already set the tone on this one. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I go to the top. I don't mess around with stuff like this. At no point in this scenario did he "do the right thing." I wouldn't play this game with him anymore.

I called all of the yoga instructors and no one called me back. So I called my supervisor and he never called me back.

My super never even called me to ask what happenend. Never acknowledged that I called him to solicit his help for cryin' out loud! Never did the courteous and professional thing which would have been to call me to tell me he was taking the class. I called him as soon as I got home and he has yet to call me back.

He has had ample opportunities to return your calls. He has chosen to ignore you, but you will refuse to be ignored. You have to go over his head. What's his problem? Is he fraidy scared of you or what? He should be. :confused:

Wow! You girls are hard-core.;) I am going to see the gym manager tomorrow when I pick up my paycheck.

Anj,

He isn't afraid of me, he just doesn't care. Gym politics are so tiresome.:glare: He is the head trainer who got "stuck" with the group fitness instructors.

I called him before I went for my run before and still nothing. Putz.

Wow! You girls are hard-core.;) I am going to see the gym manager tomorrow when I pick up my paycheck.

Anj,

He isn't afraid of me, he just doesn't care. Gym politics are so tiresome.:glare: He is the head trainer who got "stuck" with the group fitness instructors.

I called him before I went for my run before and still nothing. Putz.

Yeah, well you know what happens to putzes...they get the Bobbitt treatment.

Recently we had a staff meeting and our group fitness co-ordinator said that because so many classes have been getting cancelled, he was cracking down with a zero tolerance policy. The result of pulling a "no-show" was the loss of the class or termination.

First, is the fitness coordinator the supervistor? Just checking to see if those are two different people or one and the same. Also, at this staff meeting, did anyone raise the question of what happens if you get a sub for a class and that sub doesn't show?

So fast forward to this past weekend. The boys and I were up in NJ visiting family and before I left I got my classes covered. Sunday morning the person subbing my class calls me to say that she can't teach the 4:00 class. I am really irritated with her for doing this because once you agree to teach a class, it becomes your responsibility to cover it.

Is that a written policy, or just a general understanding? While I totally understand your point, I can also see that in the eyes of the supervisor, the class was ultimately your responsibility. What did you tell the sub when you spoke with her? Did you say something along the lines of, "Okay, I'll take care of it"? Or did you make it clear that you considered it now her responsibility to find a replacement?

I called him as soon as I got home and he has yet to call me back... the longer he avoids me, which is his M.O., the angrier I am getting.

Do you mean you called him today and he hasn't yet called back? I don't consider that avoiding you. It's Sunday and it doesn't seem that odd to me that he's not yet returned the call.

I'd leave another message and mention that you'll be seeing the gym manager tomorrow and plan to talk about it with him then. But I guess I'm wondering how important this class is to you in the grand scheme of things. Are you still planning to move back to NJ? If you aren't going to be with the gym much longer, I'd not invest myself too much into dealing with the politics, as you say.

Any-hoo, the situation stinks and I can totally understand how frustrated and embarassed you were when you went in today, only to find out the class had been pulled. So sorry about that!

First, is the fitness coordinator the supervistor? Just checking to see if those are two different people or one and the same. Also, at this staff meeting, did anyone raise the question of what happens if you get a sub for a class and that sub doesn't show?

Is that a written policy, or just a general understanding? While I totally understand your point, I can also see that in the eyes of the supervisor, the class was ultimately your responsibility. What did you tell the sub when you spoke with her? Did you say something along the lines of, "Okay, I'll take care of it"? Or did you make it clear that you considered it now her responsibility to find a replacement?

Do you mean you called him today and he hasn't yet called back? I don't consider that avoiding you. It's Sunday and it doesn't seem that odd to me that he's not yet returned the call.

I'd leave another message and mention that you'll be seeing the gym manager tomorrow and plan to talk about it with him then. But I guess I'm wondering how important this class is to you in the grand scheme of things. Are you still planning to move back to NJ? If you aren't going to be with the gym much longer, I'd not invest myself too much into dealing with the politics, as you say.

Any-hoo, the situation stinks and I can totally understand how frustrated and embarassed you were when you went in today, only to find out the class had been pulled. So sorry about that!

Yes, the group fitness manager is my supervisor.

Well, the policy is if you are covering the class, it's your responsibility. She left me a voice mail telling me whe couldn't do it and didn't return my phone calls afterward.:glare: It's just tacky, for lack of a better word. She knows the policy, she just didn't want to do the right thing. As an aside, I once told someone that I would sub a Body Pump class for them and then I got Bronchitis. I didn't call the original person to tell her that I couldn't do the class, I got someone else to do it.

I am pretty sure that he is avoiding me. As I said before, it's his M.O. :001_smile:

Yes, we are planning on moving but not until the house sells which could be a while. I am not making millions teaching yoga but I still need the money. KWIM?

At this point, it's more the priciple. I did everything in my power to get that class covered after the other instructor backed out. After I did my part, I called him. It's his responsibility to make sure the classes are covered, ultimately. He never called me back to say that he got any of my messages last Sunday.

:001_smile:

Well, the policy is if you are covering the class, it's your responsibility. She left me a voice mail telling me whe couldn't do it and didn't return my phone calls afterward.:glare: It's just tacky, for lack of a better word.

Tacky and irresponsible. For all she knows, you didn't get the voice mail. It's like when we've had a couple of less-than-responsible milkers and they've just called and left a message on the machine: "I'm not gonna be there to milk today." They don't have a clue when we're even going to get that message! So irritating. So in this case, I hafta say I'd be talking to this other instructor, too. I'd call and let her know what happened about the class getting cancelled and let her know you're going to be talking to the gym mgr. about the whole situation. B/c I do think the mgr should be aware of an instructor just dropping the ball like that.

Let us know what happens after you talk to the manager, 'k?

It's like when we've had a couple of less-than-responsible milkers and they've just called and left a message on the machine: "I'm not gonna be there to milk today." They don't have a clue when we're even going to get that message! So irritating.

Let us know what happens after you talk to the manager, 'k?

Oooohhh, that would drive me bonkers!

I'll keep you posted.:001_smile:

I would give him Monday in case he's away for the weekend and then I would leave him a message telling him I am going over his head. And then I would.

I agree too but I'd do it in email, live several smarties have suggested.

The other instructor should have lost her classes!!

Jen