Menu

I have 5 broken laundry baskets, what can I do with them?

AmyontheFarm

I know someone who does crazy creative (and useful) things with all sorts of household items.

You could...keep outdoor toys in them, put one in the trunk of your car to keep items in so that they aren't rolling around, use one to keep scrap paper and news papers in, make a "Park Day" basket and leave that in the trunk of your car.

I'm not very creative, but those are the sorts of things I've seen my friend do with baskets. She also uses duct tape to repair stuff like the sides of the baskets and I think that she let her toddlers play in and on them. Her husband made like a car out of it. I don't know if your basket is big enough for a 2-7 yo child, but thats one thing that they did. The kids had fun and when it was destroyed, they threw it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Melt them all down and make one *really* strong one!

Actually - I have to say, I have the EXACT same laundry basket, and one of my sides broke right at the handle too!  But I have to admit I really love that laundry basket so I haven't parted with it yet.  Do you remember where you got yours?  I'm such a dumb consumer that I'd actually buy another one if I could find one (even knowing five of yours broke!), but I can't recall where I purchased mine.  The replacements I have bought are all smaller and drive me nutty for other reasons.  I'm on quite the quest for the perfect laundry basket.

I have one of those with a broken handle.  It's good to know they can be recycled.  I've kept using it for years just because I feel it's a shame to throw it out when I *can* still use it.  But recycling, somehow, is less of a shame to me...

Uses - well, you could use them to teach your kids about design and design flaws, structural integrity, and disposable consumerism (is that what you call it when people buy things they know will break because they are cheap?).  You could have the kids re-design the baskets, make replacement handles...  I can see a 10 and 12yo really enjoying that kind of thing, but I could be way off.

My last broken laundry basket went to the garage to hold old towels for washing the dogs.

The one before that has a home in the bottom of the coat closet holding mittens and hats in the off season.

I have also been know to use them in the back of my car to keep the grocery bags from rolling around.

• Like 1

Do you remember where you got yours?  I'm such a dumb consumer that I'd actually buy another one if I could find one (even knowing five of yours broke!), but I can't recall where I purchased mine. 

Most likely, Wal-Mart.

I'm really impressed you've managed to do enough laundry to wear through 5 baskets!

I think the two white ones I bought when we moved in here 20 years ago.  The 3 blue ones are at least 8 years old.  When we vacationed, I would pack each kid's stuff into their own basket.  When we were at home, the older girls had a white one and a blue on in the bottom of their closets, they would sort lights and darks into each basket and every day I would hollar for either white or darks to be brought to me and then I would wash that specific basket type, fold and send it back to their rooms.  It was great system for a long time.

• 8 years later...
17 minutes ago, saraha said:

Googled what to do with broken laundry baskets today and this was the third suggestion!!!

I was so surprised I just had to share 

I was already for this to be yet another zombie thread from a random stranger!  Lol. I was wondering what was so interesting about laundry baskets to trigger that.

• Like 1

You can get some nautical rope or jute rope and wrap them or weave it through the openings to create cute storage baskets. Lots of ideas if you search "laundry basket craft"  "repurposing laundry baskets" or laundry basket hacks" on YouTube. There are some practical ideas and some fun ideas as well as some just plain weird ones.

Confession - I am somewhat addicted to watching Dollar Tree craft videos. People are very creative.

• Like 1

Duct tape the handles and relegate them to garage/basement storage? Or use them for outdoor chores and gather stuff like yard waste or garden veggies. I do understand not relegating them to a landfill until you've used them to death or repurposed them.  I'll bet Pinterest has ideas.  Of course, I feel strongly that pinterest is responsible for a lot of broken basket after it convinced everyone to build those frames for their basked where the weight was always on the handles.  WHY?

• Like 1