Menu

Copywork/Handwriting Question

AudreyTN

When do you start having your child do copywork in Cursive? As soon as they've finished learning the letters? or after they've had more practice?

I'd like to drop HWT (Handwriting Without Tears) as soon as she knows all of the letters, and just continue practicing with daily copywork.

Anyone done that?

When and how do you transition to regular notebook paper?

I have no problems with ds, but dd has issues with notebook paper. She does fine with HWT or regular 3 lined paper, but notebook paper is a mystery to her.:confused:

Thanks! :)

When do you start having your child do copywork in Cursive? As soon as they've finished learning the letters? or after they've had more practice?

We started in 2nd grade after dd showed that she could write neatly and consistently in print within her copywork.

I'd like to drop HWT (Handwriting Without Tears) as soon as she knows all of the letters, and just continue practicing with daily copywork.

Anyone done that?

Yes, we used a handwriting book for about 2 months and then transition to just copywork, I had a handwriting poster for her to look at if she needed it.

When and how do you transition to regular notebook paper?

I have no problems with ds, but dd has issues with notebook paper. She does fine with HWT or regular 3 lined paper, but notebook paper is a mystery to her.:confused:

We transitioned after about a month of dd complaining that she didn't like to write BIG on the handwriting lines. I had her write in between the lines for a while and finally just bought notebook paper.

This is my plan, that I will be implementing this year. . .so it's not tried and true.

We are starting with "cursive". No manuscript start here. I figure that will be picked up rather naturally. (We will be learning the Italic writing style.)

I don't plan to to "handwriting". We will start with copywork. However, our copywork will be directly tied to our phonics program for some time so it will progress according to that.

This is completely opposite my "older set" (big gap between boys). I did handwriting (D'Nealian) with them for 3 years (manuscript to cursive). Never did copywork. They had beautiful handwriting for their handwriting books, but now it's just chicken scratch. . . (That's not the main reason behind the change, but it's just a fact.)

I have all of my children transitioning from manuscript to cursive writing in 3rd grade by using transitioning handwriting books such as A Reason for Handwriting C. I have found that a year's worth of daily practice in handwriting books in addition to other writing such as copy work on notebook paper has sufficed for my bunch. We then transition to all cursive writing in 4th grade using copywork and other writing such as written narrations instead of a formal handwriting program. In 4th grade, they are required to write all written work in cursive.

It's ok to take your time with handwriting. Some children need more practice than others but they will definitely catch on later. I was the same way in school. That hand coordination stuff can be tricky as times and each child develops differently so don't worry. Just allow her to practice and give it time. :)