Menu

Republic Wireless announced their new phone today!

DawnM

And their new plans.

Yes, I meant to say PHONE not phones.  They have one phone, period.  New phone is Motorolla Moto X.

They use wifi and cell towers (Sprint with Verizon roaming)

The new plans look very good.  $25 for unlimited everything, although when you aren't on wifi you are on 3g speeds.  The 4g option is $40/mo.

Just thought some of you budget minded folks might be interested.

Dawn

http://www.republicwireless.com

Guest inoubliable

We got in at beta testing and got a slightly different email. Current members will get 10% off from their plan of choice, forever. If you're already in, that's a pretty sweet deal on top of how fantastic it already is. There are four new plans, btw. There's a $5 plan that gets you unlimited talk, text, and data with wi-fi only. It won't connect to cell towers. Not too bad if you're mostly around wi-fi anyway. $10 plan is unlimited talk and text with wi-fi and cell, and unlimited data on wi-fi only. $25 is unlimited everything on cell (3G) and wi-fi. $40 is unlimited everything on cell (4G) and wi-fi. For current members, the phones will cost you $299 up front but there's a $100 rebate. They'll let you switch your plans around up to twice in a month if you need to. So if you've normally got the $5 plan, but you'll be going on vacation and need cell service you can switch to the $40 plan for the week or so that you'll be gone and switch back to the $5 plan when you get home. 

Yeah, I did know about the discount for current members, but figured it wouldn't apply to most people.  I am not a current Republic Wireless customer and still not sure I will join, it will depend on whether Sprint has indeed fixed their local tower near my house!

I think IF this works, the $10 plan would be perfect for my teens!  Unlimited calling and texting and internet only in wifi range.  

I would opt for the $25 plan as I do use internet while out, particularly for maps/gps.  But I don't need 4g unless the phone is the only form of internet I am getting, like on vacation......but the switching twice per month is a great feature for that!

I am assuming this is only the 16gb version of the phone.  The lack of an SD slot for the card is a bummer though.

We got in at beta testing and got a slightly different email. Current members will get 10% off from their plan of choice, forever. If you're already in, that's a pretty sweet deal on top of how fantastic it already is. There are four new plans, btw. There's a $5 plan that gets you unlimited talk, text, and data with wi-fi only. It won't connect to cell towers. Not too bad if you're mostly around wi-fi anyway. $10 plan is unlimited talk and text with wi-fi and cell, and unlimited data on wi-fi only. $25 is unlimited everything on cell (3G) and wi-fi. $40 is unlimited everything on cell (4G) and wi-fi. For current members, the phones will cost you $299 up front but there's a $100 rebate. They'll let you switch your plans around up to twice in a month if you need to. So if you've normally got the $5 plan, but you'll be going on vacation and need cell service you can switch to the $40 plan for the week or so that you'll be gone and switch back to the $5 plan when you get home. 

I don't see the $5 plan.  Is that with a different phone?  The only one I see is the MotorX with the $20 plan. 

Yes, there are 4 plans.

Moto X plans are at the bottom of the page:

http://republicwireless.com/moto-x-faqs

Thank you Dawn,  I looked everywhere- but I guess I didn't make it to the bottom of each page  :closedeyes:   So, I guess I need to wait until Nov. for these options.  Cool.  My phone is getting ot the end of it's life but I think I can wait another 5-6weeks.

Phone is $299

There are 4 plans.

$5 for wifi only.  This includes calling, texting, and web unlimited but on wifi only.

$10 plan includes unlimited calling and texting through Cell towers but internet is wifi only.

$25 plan includes unlimited calling, texting and 3g speed data

$40 plan includes unlimited calling, texting, and 4g speed data

The premise is that when you are in wifi, this hybrid phone will switch to using wifi for signal.  When you are outside of wifi range, you will use Sprint towers or roam (free) to Verizon towers.

Dawn

ETA:  oh, ok, i think you WERE able to find the plans.....I thought you weren't and was posting them.  I will leave the info up though for anyone else who needs it.  I guess I shouldn't try to talk on the phone and post on the forums at the same time!

Thank you Dawn,  I looked everywhere- but I guess I didn't make it to the bottom of each page  :closedeyes:   So, I guess I need to wait until Nov. for these options.  Cool.  My phone is getting ot the end of it's life but I think I can wait another 5-6weeks.

Guest inoubliable

The reviews I've seen talk about dropped calls (if it's picking up wifi and needs to go to roaming, it will end the call) and some even found they dropped calls when they were in their home/constant wifi spot. Has this been the experience of anyone who has used it?

Nope, not at all. I've had it for over a year now.

That is good to know.

I am assuming you will be upgrading to the new phone?

I had heard originally they were thinking of adding 3 phones, but from what I am reading, that is not the case????

Do you know?  Is this the first of more or is this it, period?

Dawn

Nope, not at all. I've had it for over a year now.

I love seeing the prices come down for services. :)  Right now, I still have a "dumb" Tracfone, but since I'm home with a computer all day I don't need smart phone features.  My husband has the $30 T-mobile unlimited data and 100 min/month plan.  I'll have to keep this in mind in case we ever decide to change.  Thanks for posting!

Well, the $10 plan would certainly work for you if you!

I would even consider that plan for my teens when they need more of a phone than they have (currently flip phones for $3/mo just to call me when necessary.)

I love seeing the prices come down for services. :)  Right now, I still have a "dumb" Tracfone, but since I'm home with a computer all day I don't need smart phone features.  My husband has the $30 T-mobile unlimited data and 100 min/month plan.  I'll have to keep this in mind in case we ever decide to change.  Thanks for posting!

The reviews I've seen talk about dropped calls (if it's picking up wifi and needs to go to roaming, it will end the call) and some even found they dropped calls when they were in their home/constant wifi spot. Has this been the experience of anyone who has used it?

We do have dropped calls occasionally, even on wifi. It's not terrible, though, and no worse than any other phone I've used. Did I mention that it's $19? :)

What is the battery life like on the phone?   My current old-style talk/text cell phone can go about a week before a recharge.

The Moto X won't go a week (no smart phone will), but it'll go 24-36 hours with moderately heavy screen use. You can recharge overnight and never have a problem.

Motorola phones also have the best cell radios. You may still get dropped calls in areas of poor service, but you'll get fewer dropped calls than with other phones.

Guest inoubliable

That is good to know.

I am assuming you will be upgrading to the new phone?

I had heard originally they were thinking of adding 3 phones, but from what I am reading, that is not the case????

Do you know?  Is this the first of more or is this it, period?

Dawn

Probably. I think more phones are in the works. I haven't been paying too much attention to all the emails over the last several months. I'm guessing, though, that there will be more options in time.

How much is added to the monthly bill for taxes, etc.?

Our current plan with them is 19.99. It's 21.90 with tax.