Menu

co-op project help needed

Okay, so no music type person has signed up for our regular co-op classes this year. The kids will be thrilled; seems the parents like the end of year musical program better than the kids. lol (My teens asked why I wasn't in charge sooner. lol) We meet 17 times during the year, and have 45 minute sessions.

Anyway, we've decided to replace music time with some small group projects for 1-6th grades. So, we divide the kids into 1st and 2nd grade, 3rd and 4th grade, and 5th and 6th grade classes.

Thought brainstorming with you ladies would give me lots of great ideas as we try to nail this ( or other ideas) down this coming week. If you've ever done anything like this, or have any ideas, I'd appreciate them!

Our first thought was that the oldest kids could work on a great big board game, designing the board, game pieces, and questions pertaining to history &/or geography.

1st and 2nd graders could put together a composer book (each) using Meet the Composers or some such resource for pre-made pages for them. They would then bind them at year-end.

3rd and 4th graders could write, illustrate and bind books of their choice. Maybe do some composer book if they do those too quickly.

I really want a variety of ideas to pitch to the women who would be leading these groups, since this will be totally new for us. Thanks so much!

But I will get to do so Tuesday evening. Tell me what you think of this!

People today are opera-phobic, or so it seems. I would love to teach an "All About Opera" class for my 3-6 graders. They would learn about the parts of the opera, the history of opera, etc.... We would watch a light opera or two, and in the final 5 weeks, they would compose their own "opera," based on a fable or fairy tale. It would be short, of course, with most of the story told through recitative, maybe one short aria, and a simple chorus.

Would something like that work for you? Or are you really trying to take a break from music classes altogether?

-Robin

Here is a link to one of the programs in our area. It is the course descriptions for this upcoming year. Waaaay, more than you want to know, but maybe it will help you think things through.

http://portalsso.vansd.org/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/VSD_HOME_PUBLIC/PROGRAMS/VANCOUVER_HOME_CONNECTION/VHC_SCHEDULE/COURSE%20DESCR.%2008-09.DOC

Here is another list of courses from another program in our area

http://www.bgsd.k12.wa.us/riv/

If you could possibly want more ideas, I know of about 3 or 4 more programs that I can see if they have course guides online. Just let me know and I will see if I can find them.

Wow, what an offering! I'm kind of liking the lego classes! (BTW, our co-op has weekly classes, too in various classes that change from year to year, more similar to these offerings.) Thanks so much for sharing!!

I would love to see the other course descriptions, if it's not too much trouble.

Wow, Tap! What a list! You must have a wonderful and large group! Our co-op usually only has 40-50 kids, so there is no way we could pull off something on that scale, but wow! I sure do wish we could, especially as dd gets older.

Tina- dd loves the idea of an opera class, but she has been exposed to it since birth. Dh and I decided to invest in the dvd's of Wagner's Ring Cycle when she was 4, and she has watched all four operas twice in the past 3 years!

If the parents really like the end-of-the-year performance, could you do something else that would involve getting the kids up on stage? Perhaps a study of Shakespeare with readings, or a poetry-writing class with poetry recitations? Just a thought. Sorry I couldn't be of greater help to you, but Tap's list really gives you some great ideas to choose from!

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

-Robin

That's so neat that your kids have been exposed to and like opera. I think you're right about folks attitude in general. A young exposure would be good!

We're downsizing and making changes this year. The past 3 or 4 years, the teens have been doing a big (500 guests in 2 nts last yr) dinner theatre, but the directors have burned out/their kids aged out. This year they will be doing a one act play that night. Just not a money maker year, nor a big audience, tho it's a possibility they could be in a competition with some high schools here...

I was discussing maybe having the youngers do a couple 'stomp' songs from Joseph and the Technicolor coat, and share their projects like a project fair. I may look into some type of competition idea for the youngers, too.

There will still be bars and plenty of time for adults to visit. :001_smile:

Well no luck. 2 were password protected to get into the information, and while I can see it they obviously don't want it out for the general public, so I want to honor their wishes. But, I can say they really didn't offer anything that wasn't on the other lists, just worded different.

The other two programs didn't have a list of classes available online.

Just for information: the two that I did link, are public school programs for homeschoolers. The first is taught by accredited and experience teachers but in a school for homeschoolers. You pick your classes like you do at a college, attending only the classed you want on mth (Monday Thursday), mwth, tf, or twf. We can take one class or a full schedule, and since it is 'public' school, it is at no cost. The first program usually has about 200 kids per year I think the second program (a similar program) has more.

There are several traditional Co-ops, Friday schools and other home groups in our area as well, I will see if I can access their sites, but I expect that they will require a password that I don't have or are similar to the other lists. If I find anything worth posting, I will let you know.