Menu

Anything similar to FLL for the years beyond?

Guest tmstew28

Guest tmstew28

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone here has ever come across anything similar to FLL for the years beyond level 4. I know one of the recommendations is Rod and Staff, but unfortunately that style does not work for my son. We completed levels 1 and 2 in FLL. Then we switched...for whatever reason, it was a wrong reason. We tried R&S in 3rd grade, but it was daily tears. Last year we got our grammar from his latin studies. We also did copywork, dictation, narration, and poetry memorization. Now my son is going into fifth grade. I would just like to find something that incorporates everything like FLL did so well in levels one and two. I'd like to jump into level four this year, but I know I'll just have to switch again. and I'd rather find something that works and finally stick with it.

Thanks,

Tina

I'm curious, too, what didn't work with R&S.  It can be tweaked quite a bit to "make it work."  Doing more orally than what is laid out, using a white board for diagramming, etc.  I would say my DD probably wouldn't have done well with that kind of "independent notebook work" in 3rd grade, but so far it's going okay this year.  It's helping her to learn neatness and organization. 

I guess I just wish there was something similar to the set up of FLL. I loved the gentle approach, the conversational tone. I loved doing poetry, and picture study. I am probably much more Charlotte Mason than I am Classical in my tendencies. (Sorry!) ;) I just know I find a wealth on information and knowledge here.

Sigh. Yes, I'm still on the search for a FLL replacement/continuation. So far I've settled with Growing With Grammar. It is *not* FLL, but it's good enough. Tried Hake. My ds hated it. Passionately.

I've never tried MCT but I've been intrigued.

I like MCT and my boys LOVED it. I did want more formal instruction occasionally not just discussions. However, I should mention both of my boys need more writing. They aren't strong writers and came from PS with some gaps. I plan to do a MCT/R&S rotation. I like R&S because it is straight forward and simple. I need to look into Growing with Grammar, though. My girls are using FLL and love it. It works well for them. I don't think they are ready for MCT yet, though. They are at such a different place than the boys were at their age and mainly because they weren't PSed as long and we have really taken our time and let them mature. I do feel like they are ready and we are pushing forward now at a great pace. Actually considering skipping a good bit of FLL1 to go on to FLL2. Any reason to continue to take it slow? I had heard it repeats a ton.

Following out of curiosity. Had been wondering if PHP was going to do something beyond FLL 4.

. I think SWB was in the process of writing a grammar program for after FLL but it was such a huge book, too many pages, and needed some serious reformatting, that the project has been scratched for now. That's what I seem to remember.