Menu

Brave New World: Huxley: suitable for 13 year old?

Agreeing with Ruth that it is better suited for an older high school student (age 15-16+).

One of the the themes is that this very controlled culture has reversed cultural norms about sexuality: monogamy, emotional relationships, and child-bearing/child-raising are seen as the extreme of perversity. While sex comes up frequently in the novel, it is handled well -- not at all alluring / arousing, or graphic / gratuitous -- and serves to support the even more fundamental themes of societal control, ethics of bio-engineering and loss of humanity, etc. As Ruth says, an older student would be more able to think through/discuss the work.

The Sparknotes synopsis of themes and motifs can be helpful for a quick overview in understanding the author's purpose. The Monarch Notes do a great job of going into depth on author background, themes in the novel, etc.

I prtested reading it as a 10th grader. The whole thing is about sex and the perversity of culture. I was furious such trash was being pushed as 'great literature' in my top 20 in the nation rated high school. Pick something else.

There are many other better novels you could go with in that direction.  I'd say even 1984 would be far better (even though there is some s_x, it is no where near the same, and not as pervasive).  Or, watch the movie 'V' and discuss that (I love that movie....).  Animal Farm, of course, is a good one.....  As for 'popular' books, The Hunger Games is not great literature, per se, but the themes are strong and there are many references back to the fall of the Roman Republic that can make for good discussion.

ETA - The Giver would be another great option....

I read it in year 11. I went to a fairly open-minded Catholic girls school. I have absolutely no recollection of the book being about sex!!!!!!! It's not a standout piece of literature, but it does come up a lot in various cultural references and thus is worth reading and understanding (a bit like the Bible for atheists). I don't think kids have the maturity to deal effectively with the whole dystopian thing before 15 or so. Its a lot to process in a balanced way. I plan to wait till year 10 or so with DS.

D

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that it does have sex, but if you openly talk to your daughter, it would actually be a REALLY great read because it doens't portray sex very well.  People are having sex a lot, but they are unhappy and don't view themselves very well.  Women are treated as sex objects, don't have depth, and in general it would a really great thing to discuss with someone who is of the age where such issues begin coming up.

In another instance, children (and I mean young children) are encouraged to have sex with lots of people for no good reason.  The entire point is to create a society without strong values, no strength in a family unit or in specific partnerships.  When people don't have those bonds, they are easier to lead astray and get to do whatever the dominant people wanted them to.  Another great conversation about the importance of family and values. 

The dominant society in this book is not viewed well; it is very much so written almost like satire.  It is the idea that these people seem happy, but are popping Soma (drugs) constantly to remain going, buying new things just to have the instant thrills but still remain feeling empty, and are generally lead quite heavily by a dominant culture which is using them.  If you wanted to really talk with your daughter about it, it could actually be an incredible novel to read to your child on the brink of the teenage hears.  FAIR WARNING:  the character who has trouble with the drugs, sex, and craziness of the dominant culture kills himself at the end because he can't deal with all the people.

My husband is a high school english teacher and teaches this ever year.  I am planning on reading it to my son at 11 and discussing the issues within it.  It would never be a novel I had a student read without significant and lengthy discussions.  It is a great guidence book.  Fahrenhiet 451 is one to have her read that is similar, but no sex, no drugs, and much clearer message.  It is a great independent novel for that age if she hasn't read it already.  The Hunger Games, and the Giver both reference and sample from Fahrenheit in multiple places.

DS17 is reading Brave New World now.  He is about half way thru and says he finds it very disturbing.  But the things he finds disturbing are not necessarily things he would have picked up at age 13.  The Freudian references, the de-valuation of humans, the breeding of consumers from pre-birth.  He just finished Fahrenheit 451 and definitely is drawing the parallels.

He says he would have probably found the book a bit gross at age 13, but much less disturbing.