Menu

I think my cat bit my puppy.

AlmiraGulch

Or, it may have been that she and my other dog were playing too hard.  I'm not sure, but something is wrong with puppy's eye (there's a big swollen spot on the eyeball itself, on the inside corner), and there was a matted spot on her back that looked like it could have been a wound of some sort.  

The dogs play pretty rough, but I never see them be TOO rough.  It just looks and sounds like dog play to me. 

Earlier tonight my daughter thought my husband took the puppy, but he thought she had the puppy, so she was unsupervised for some period of time until she wandered into my room.  She could have had a run-in with the cat or something during that time.  I don't know, but it looks kind of bad.

She doesn't seem to be in pain, but it doesn't look good at all.  I'm going to see how it looks and take her in in the morning if it doesn't look any better.

By the way, it couldn't have been a scratch from a cat because my cats have no claws.

Not even back claws?

Hope puppy is better soon.

One of my cats has back claws but he runs from the dogs.  He doesn't even stay in the same rooms as them.  My other cat doesn't even have back claws.  I adopted her when she was 8 years old and her previous owner (she only had one) had her completely declawed.  

Another thought -- Dogs have a gland in the corner of their eyes that can sometimes protrude.  It can be a genetic thing or be caused by injury.  You may want to Google "cherry eye" (the common term) or "eyelid protrusion" or "prolapsed gland of the eyelid."  See if it looks like what your puppy has (warning: some of the images aren't for the squeamish).

Unless it's better this morning, I really think a vet should have a look.