Menu

Grading questions - specifically for very short assignments

LadyR

Last year, one of my son's teachers (we use a distance program) suggested that certain assignments through the year should be combined for the whole chapter and I should take one total grade for them.   She felt that since these particular texbook assignments were mostly 3-4 questions apiece, it would be unfair if, say, he got 1 wrong out of the 3 and got a failing grade.  So combining these assignments for the whole chapter put the total possible points earned to around 15 rather than 3 possible points for each.

So this year I have similar situations in which the assignments are often just a few questions.  How would you grade these?  Would you combine with other assignments or just grade as is.

I don't want to give an unfair advantage, but I do want to be fair.  For instance, in math my son might make a silly mistake.  Perhaps he copies down a number wrong and therefore his final answer isn't what it should be even though he correctly used and understood the process and formula to get his answer.  I still mark it incorrect because he made a careless mistake.  If there were only 3 math problems his grade would not be very good.  But if there were 20 problems and he got only that one wrong, that grade would be a better assessment of what he has learned. Know what I mean?

Can you give a point value for the assignments instead of a percent? giving 2 points out of 3 for a 3 question assignment is no different than giving a 12 out of 15 got combined assignments. Out at the end of the year say that all these small assignments are only worth 20% of the overall grade.

I would weight the assignments... Using points not percentages to calculate an overall grade.