Menu

Favorite American History texts, and why. Please let me have it!

I plan to use more than one book, and would really like to get at least a couple that are pretty biased toward one point of view. I've got Zinn's A People's History as my lefty choice sort of already chosen, but are there other good ones? I'm looking for books that are well-regarded by the audience they are intended for. So lefty or righty-give me your recommendations. I want my son to read both, so that he begins to appreciate the way that things can be slanted, yet still true, if you know what I mean.

I think for a right leaning book you might look at "A Patriot's History of America" author's name escapes me right at the moment (startch with S). I finally went with Paul Johnson's "A History of the American People". He is British, so there is a bit of the removed outsider view, but he is also a huge fan of America. I like how he interrupts the narrative flow with 'mini-biographies' of some of the main players. It is a narrative - not just a dry list of facts. I think it is quite readable, especially if it is spread out over two years. Might be a bit much for a younger high school student to read in one year - especially if they had to read something else as well.

For a high school text book I enjoy the one authored by Daniel Boorstin, former Librarian of Congress and historian. He wrote the Landmark History of the US, used by Sonlight in the Core 3 and 4, though I think it is an enjoyable read for any age (and certainly too old for those 3rd graders at the beginning of the year). I would not hesitate to use it as a supplementary text for a high schooler. For that matter, you could use Joy Hakim's "A Story of US" as a supplement, but you already have a left-leaning text and probably don't need a left-leaning supplement.

Kate in Seattle

Paul Johnson's "A History of the American People". He is British, so there is a bit of the removed outsider view, but he is also a huge fan of America.

He's great -- but that book is soooo llllloooooonnnnngggg! And the print is so small!

Regardless, both my kiddos will read it for US History....someday....

I have History of the American People also. I will use it along with Clarence Carson's US hisotry books volumes 1-6. I must admit that it is a daunting task to try and schedule this books. Last year I used Abeka World History textbook as our starting gound and then added to it which was alot easier than trying to schedule the books I am planning on using this year.

I plan to use more than one book, and would really like to get at least a couple that are pretty biased toward one point of view. I've got Zinn's A People's History as my lefty choice sort of already chosen, but are there other good ones? I'm looking for books that are well-regarded by the audience they are intended for. So lefty or righty-give me your recommendations. I want my son to read both, so that he begins to appreciate the way that things can be slanted, yet still true, if you know what I mean.

That is such a great idea! I already have the Zinn book, and the Johnson book recommended by someone else sounds like a great counterpoint. Thanks for the idea!

I have a few more years before we'd get to this - maybe by then I'll actually figure out how to cram it all into a year (if anyone else figures it out first, please share! :D )

Would reading these along with doing some of those US History Critical Thinking books make for a good high school US History course?

He's great -- but that book is soooo llllloooooonnnnngggg! And the print is so small!

Regardless, both my kiddos will read it for US History....someday....

:iagree:

I haven't gotten through the whole thing but I liked what I read. I guess this is the kind of book because of the length that you would have to pace yourself.