Menu

Anyone Applying to Service Academies or ROTC this Year? (Class of 2018)

Sebastian (a lady)

I think the deadlines for nominations trip up a lot of students. In my area one senator is already closed. The rest pretty much close end of September or beginning of October.

It feels like it's a little earlier each year. (Probably just feels that way. ) but it does mean that when I work our table at the big college fair in October that the seniors I talk to have already missed most or all of the nomination deadlines.

No interviews. They never have ten names for each slot. They even nominated ds for Navy when he only asked for Army and Air Force!

Want to adopt some kids?

One of our friends applied to merchant marine last year. He got no interview with either senator. One sent a form letter turn down that indicated he'd received over 700 requests for nominations.

• 1 month later...

Anyone other than Margaret's ds applying for Class of 2018?

This is a great time of the year for juniors to take a look at academy websites and ROTC websites (for Navy and USMC, I recommend not only NROTC.Navy.mil but individual unit websites, which often have more detailed information about life as a ROTC midshipman).  The Navy application cycle will kick off in Junior year, with applications for summer seminar programs opening in Dec2013-Jan2014 and regular preliminary applications opening around April 2014.

Every year I run into candidates who could have been competitive, but who did not pay attention to application deadlines. They missed the window for requesting nominations, or were several months behind their peers in submitting test scores or other fundamental parts of their application. This is an application process that runs several months earlier than civilian schools.

The info is available on the admissions pages for each academy. Don't be that guy, who only spent 5 minutes sending in a preliminary application, but couldn't carve out 15 minutes to read the rest of the "Steps for Admission" or the FAQ.

BTW: As much as it pains me to admit it, the Air Force Academy has the best collected guidelines for homeschoolers applying to a service academy that I've seen so far.  Their pdf booklet Advice to Homeschool Applicants (see link on page above) collects a lot of information into one package. It is good advice that is applicable for most of the academies.

Thanks for posting that link, Sebastian.  I've seen it before, but I had forgotten about it.  My son is a junior this year, and he will be applying next year (first choice USAFA of course, LOL).  He'll apply for summer seminar this year, but I'm trying to help him not be disappointed if he doesn't get it!  He's not really the target audience, as he is the son and grandson of USAFA grads. 

I am definitely concerned about him getting an interview, much less a nomination, since we are also in the super-competitive NoVA area.  I am pretty sure our representative has almost no nominations to give for next year--I need to check on that again (the reason would be because he already has his limit of people he nominated at the Academy, right?).  At least ds is eligible for a Presidential nomination.  He does have back-up plans for ROTC or either VA Tech or VMI.

It will be an exciting year!

To ahead and PM me if you like. We're in NOVA too.

I will say that it would be VERY unusual for an office to have NO ability to nominate. Each congressional office can have 5 mids/cadets charged against them at each academy at one time. So if they have one student appointed per year they would always have at least 10 noms.

But it's actually more complicated than that. If a student leaves before graduation, that would open up an additional set of 10 nominations. Because if you add up 435 Reps and 100 Senators, you can see that there are still appointments left over (over 900). Some of those will go to students with other types of nominations, like Presidential, Vice-Presidential, ROTC/JROTC or Sec Nav (or other service). But there is also something called the Qualified Alternate Pool. These are candidates who were nominated by a member of Congress, but were not the candidate charged against their nominator. Many of them will still receive offers of appointment.  (My understanding is that the Qualified Alternate Pool or National Pool is restricted to student who have a nomination from a member of Congress. Candidates who only have a Presidential nomination do not go into this pool. This is a reason that candidates should apply for each nomination for which they are eligible.)

One last thought. The nomination process has changed somewhat over the years. There was a time when nominations had to be ranked (in the 1960s). And each office can decide on how to present their nominees (ranked, competitive, primary/alternates). So be careful when an older grad or someone with a nom from another office or even a few years ago tells you "how it is". It isn't necessarily still true or true everywhere. Trust but verify.

ETA: In looking up some references for this, I did notice that the Air Force Academy specifically suggests that students request a nomination in spring of Junior year, at the same time they are filling out a preliminary application. This would definitely ensure that a student didn't miss the fall deadlines. However, it also makes good test scores important earlier too.

However, many congressmen's nom instructions do not open in spring of junior year. And several of ours anyway, will NOT accept later SAT/ACTs. Once you've sent one in, that's it, you cannot update. So, it's a balancing act.

Good point. Not researching requirements and ignoring deadlines is what I'm seeing at the moment. I've talked with a couple candidates in the last week who didn't request nominations and who haven't yet taken an SAT. Not a good beginning for the end of October.

To ahead and PM me if you like. We're in NOVA too.

I will say that it would be VERY unusual for an office to have NO ability to nominate. Each congressional office can have 5 mids/cadets charged against them at each academy at one time. So if they have one student appointed per year they would always have at least 10 noms.

But it's actually more complicated than that. If a student leaves before graduation, that would open up an additional set of 10 nominations. Because if you add up 435 Reps and 100 Senators, you can see that there are still appointments left over (over 900). Some of those will go to students with other types of nominations, like Presidential, Vice-Presidential, ROTC/JROTC or Sec Nav (or other service). But there is also something called the Qualified Alternate Pool. These are candidates who were nominated by a member of Congress, but were not the candidate charged against their nominator. Many of them will still receive offers of appointment.  (My understanding is that the Qualified Alternate Pool or National Pool is restricted to student who have a nomination from a member of Congress. Candidates who only have a Presidential nomination do not go into this pool. This is a reason that candidates should apply for each nomination for which they are eligible.)

One last thought. The nomination process has changed somewhat over the years. There was a time when nominations had to be ranked (in the 1960s). And each office can decide on how to present their nominees (ranked, competitive, primary/alternates). So be careful when an older grad or someone with a nom from another office or even a few years ago tells you "how it is". It isn't necessarily still true or true everywhere. Trust but verify.

ETA: In looking up some references for this, I did notice that the Air Force Academy specifically suggests that students request a nomination in spring of Junior year, at the same time they are filling out a preliminary application. This would definitely ensure that a student didn't miss the fall deadlines. However, it also makes good test scores important earlier too.

Thanks for the extra info!  That was really helpful.  I will PM you later--I am sure we will have more questions.  The daughter of our next-door neighbors is in her second year at USNA.  Her mom was who was telling me scuttlebutt she had heard about representatives and nominations, so I am sure that is not a reliable source, LOL.  Her nomination was from a senator, though.  All very interesting!

Ds has taken the SAT once (May of last year) and did well, but he is taking it again on Saturday, hoping to raise his math score more.  He's going to contact his ALO soon too.  Are we correct in thinking that the ALO that is assigned to the high school ds would attend is also the ALO for homeschool students in that area?

Thanks for the extra info!  That was really helpful.  I will PM you later--I am sure we will have more questions.  The daughter of our next-door neighbors is in her second year at USNA.  Her mom was who was telling me scuttlebutt she had heard about representatives and nominations, so I am sure that is not a reliable source, LOL.  Her nomination was from a senator, though.  All very interesting!

Ds has taken the SAT once (May of last year) and did well, but he is taking it again on Saturday, hoping to raise his math score more.  He's going to contact his ALO soon too.  Are we correct in thinking that the ALO that is assigned to the high school ds would attend is also the ALO for homeschool students in that area?

It probably depends on the area. I saw a page on the USAFA admissions site for locating an ALO. You put in your school name or just a state and it would give you a list. The directions said for homeschoolers to put in their state and then contact the regional director.

For my current USNA area, I think there is one BGO who handles homeschoolers. But I've lived in other areas where there were not very many BGOs, so the homeschoolers were shuffled in with everyone else.  Also in NOVA, (at least on the Navy side) people do get reassigned from school to school, depending on need and availability.

Thanks for posting that link, Sebastian.  I've seen it before, but I had forgotten about it.  My son is a junior this year, and he will be applying next year (first choice USAFA of course, LOL).  He'll apply for summer seminar this year, but I'm trying to help him not be disappointed if he doesn't get it!  He's not really the target audience, as he is the son and grandson of USAFA grads. 

I am definitely concerned about him getting an interview, much less a nomination, since we are also in the super-competitive NoVA area.  I am pretty sure our representative has almost no nominations to give for next year--I need to check on that again (the reason would be because he already has his limit of people he nominated at the Academy, right?).  At least ds is eligible for a Presidential nomination.  He does have back-up plans for ROTC or either VA Tech or VMI.

It will be an exciting year!

My son received the Presidential nomination for USMA sometime over the summer after he attended the SLS. His interview was evidently taken care of his week at USMA, he didn't meet with anyone after that. It certainly was an exciting year ... one big thing after another. He's currently in his COW year.

Do academies take gap year kids? Just curious.

ETA: What's a BGO?

ALO= Admissions Liaison Officer, term used by Air Force Academy for their network of locally based liaisons. Many are alumni. Most that I've encountered are also reservists who do Academy information liaison as their reserve job.

BGO = Blue and Gold Officer, the Naval Academy term for their network of admissions information liaisons.  Navy uses a mix of alumni, parents of mids or grads, interested teachers and counselors, and military officers (typically reservists) who are interested in promoting the Academy. (I think my card officially calls me a Naval Academy Admissions Liaison Officer).

I'm not sure what term the Military Academy (West Point) uses. I've seen MALO, but that was on an older document. In my area, these seem to all be alumni. I also had a parent/alum recently describing his son's interaction who mentioned that they were all retired senior officers (Colonel and above). I'm not sure if that was just who he got, who is active in our area, or actual policy.

The academies do take kids who are not straight out of high school. However, this is both a small part of the pool of accepted candidates, and primarily students who have attended a year or more of college, while applying to USNA.  You can see a number of demographic factors (class rank, activities, test scores, college background) in the Class Portrait for the most recent class accepted.  For Class of 2017, 95 of 1408 had at least a semester of college (I don't think dual enrollment is counted in this stat).

Academies do look at the whole person, looking for academic ability and experience, physical aptitude, teamwork and leadership. A gap year might be an interesting way of demonstrating maturity, teamwork, sacrifice and leadership. But if I were interviewing a student with a gap year after high school, I would also be asking a lot of questions about academic readiness.  (For example, the standard plebe math class is Calculus. The standard science is Chemistry. Is a student who has taken a full year off from academics going to be sucessful back in the classroom. Obviously it depends on the student. But it's the candidate's responsibility to provide evidence to demonstrate that readiness.)  The advice for previous candidates/college students is here.  I don't see specific suggestions for a gap year student.

One other thought is that the application cycle typically runs from spring (Jan-April) of junior year through spring of senior year. A student who wanted to attend after a one year gap year would want to be starting an application in April of senior year, with requests for nominations going in about that same time or over the summer. The student would also want to make sure they were in a position to participate in interviews (both with the BGO and with nomination boards).

It is a complicated application process. Don't be afraid to ask more questions.

I'm not sure what term the Military Academy (West Point) uses. I've seen MALO, but that was on an older document. In my area, these seem to all be alumni. I also had a parent/alum recently describing his son's interaction who mentioned that they were all retired senior officers (Colonel and above). I'm not sure if that was just who he got, who is active in our area, or actual policy.

West Point still uses MALO (Military Academy Liaison Officer) and refers to them, as a group, as the "Field Force".  There is no rank requirement.  Most of them are alumni but that's not a requirement either.  

I think it would be hard to plan a competitive GAP year.  High school seniors have leadership (team captains, club presidents, etc), physical training (competitive sports) and academics qualifications (grades, test scores).  The Gap year has to continue all that.  More or less spoils the whole idea of a Gap year.

Kids who don't get in after high school, and want to reapply next year, have a hard time.  It's fairly easy to go to a serious college, take hard courses, and even continue your sport; but college freshmen don't generally get the same leadership opportunities as high school seniors.  

West Point still uses MALO (Military Academy Liaison Officer) and refers to them, as a group, as the "Field Force".  There is no rank requirement.  Most of them are alumni but that's not a requirement either.  

I think it would be hard to plan a competitive GAP year.  High school seniors have leadership (team captains, club presidents, etc), physical training (competitive sports) and academics qualifications (grades, test scores).  The Gap year has to continue all that.  More or less spoils the whole idea of a Gap year.

Kids who don't get in after high school, and want to reapply next year, have a hard time.  It's fairly easy to go to a serious college, take hard courses, and even continue your sport; but college freshmen don't generally get the same leadership opportunities as high school seniors.  

I agree that it would be quite a challenge to do a gap year in a way that kept a student competitive. It is probably a question better suited to someone actually at the respective admissions offices, who see thousands of applications, not my dozens.

I think a lot would depend on the gap year and a lot would depend on the high school background of the student. If the student had outstanding leadership in high school, then went out and did something like an academic internship (ex. Semester at Sea or a language immersive)... Or if the student had a strong academic background and the gap year experience illustrated responsibility and leadership (ex. teaching English, working a demanding job, etc).

If a student is average or below average coming out of high school and the gap year is mostly just a year off, I don't think the application would be very competitive.

The one type of student I can think of off the top of my head that might do well with a gap year is one who is too young to enter after senior year.

BTW, if the question is one of taking time off to do missions, the typical path is to do 2 years at USNA, leave for missions, and apply for readmission. I think there is a FAQ on the USNA website about that.

From all these posts... my Dd was very lucky!!!!  She didn't get in to the USNA, but she got accepted to NAPS (Naval Academy Prep School) and will go on to Naval Academy next year.

She barely got her USNA application in by the deadline and only got the Presidential Nomination (I think she submitted application in December of 2012).  She didn't know much about what she was going to do, and at first thought she couldn't be considered due to being a homeschooler.  She was actually looking into joining the enlisted Marines and they told her to apply for USMC Platoon Leadership Officer program and USNA.  Her SATs weren't totally awesome but were still good.

But she was very well rounded and did awesome in all other areas.  High school she did in three years and had a GPA of 3.9 on a 4.0.  Got her PA homeschool diploma with honors.  Last year in high school she did a social work internship at a youth program.  She took a break for Fall semester after her graduation and worked two part time jobs.  Attended community college for Spring semester of 2013 and did very well there.  Did Civil Air Patrol for two years.  Martial Arts was a big thing... she studied Kung Fu since she was in 5th grade, Earned black sash by age 14 and became the youngest assistant instructor for her martial arts school.  She competed in many tournaments (and won-LOL), including one year for AAU Jr. Olympics.  She volunteered at local Ronald McDonald House for last year before going to NAPS. 

She didn't even consider the USNA until after she graduated high school.

From all these posts... my Dd was very lucky!!!!  She didn't get in to the USNA, but she got accepted to NAPS (Naval Academy Prep School) and will go on to Naval Academy next year.

She barely got her USNA application in by the deadline and only got the Presidential Nomination (I think she submitted application in December of 2012).  She didn't know much about what she was going to do, and at first thought she couldn't be considered due to being a homeschooler.  She was actually looking into joining the enlisted Marines and they told her to apply for USMC Platoon Leadership Officer program and USNA.  Her SATs weren't totally awesome but were still good.

But she was very well rounded and did awesome in all other areas.  High school she did in three years and had a GPA of 3.9 on a 4.0.  Got her PA homeschool diploma with honors.  Last year in high school she did a social work internship at a youth program.  She took a break for Fall semester after her graduation and worked two part time jobs.  Attended community college for Spring semester of 2013 and did very well there.  Did Civil Air Patrol for two years.  Martial Arts was a big thing... she studied Kung Fu since she was in 5th grade, Earned black sash by age 14 and became the youngest assistant instructor for her martial arts school.  She competed in many tournaments (and won-LOL), including one year for AAU Jr. Olympics.  She volunteered at local Ronald McDonald House for last year before going to NAPS. 

She didn't even consider the USNA until after she graduated high school.

That's great. And thanks for sharing an example of what a potentially successful route looks like.

One thing to remember is that student applications are incredibly different. There isn't a recipe for being a shoe in. Congressional districts vary greatly. Some areas have fierce competition for one school and little interest in another. (This probably helped me 20+ years ago, because Army and Air Force were far more favored by Texas high schoolers than Navy was.)

I've been thinking over the issue of leadership examples for college freshmen. I'm not sure that would be the issue for most kids. Because the application would need to be started in spring of senior year and be completed early in the fall of freshman year, I think that the leadership experience that most students would be demonstrating would include projects and involvement from the end of high school and the summer before college.

Leadership isn't always synonymous with having a title. I think there is plenty of room to demonstrate leadership as summer camp staff, food drive coordinator, member of Alpha Phi Omega or other service organization, as a peer tutor or study group organizer, as a young adult leader in a scout organization (after aging out but before going away to college), while working, or as an active member of a student organization.

In short, I think that students applying as college freshmen would still have a reservoir of leadership experiences to discuss.

Where I've seen college student apps fall short is in academics. Anecdotes aren't data, but the candidates I've seen reapply or do a first time app as a college student, what I've noticed is that they have not taken college courses similar to academy freshman requirements. In other words, they were still not taking college calc or chem or their grades were not on a level that would indicate future success once the other obligations and stress of an academy were added. A high schooler with low test scores or grades is not going to convince an academy to pick them up if their college work at a civilian school is not demonstrating strong ability.

The leadership comment came straight from the USMA Admissions Dept a few years ago, who were definitely looking for leadership while in college.  Part of it, I suspect, is that a student who only does academics at college is not demonstrating that they can handle college level work AND the other training (military, physical, etc) that the Academy expects.

An outstanding high school record, followed by a purely academic college freshman year, wouldn't suffice, even if they earned a 4.0.

The leadership comment came straight from the USMA Admissions Dept a few years ago, who were definitely looking for leadership while in college.  Part of it, I suspect, is that a student who only does academics at college is not demonstrating that they can handle college level work AND the other training (military, physical, etc) that the Academy expects.

An outstanding high school record, followed by a purely academic college freshman year, wouldn't suffice, even if they earned a 4.0.

Interesting. I can see where they would be concerned that a student was ONLY doing academics. I guess I think that it would actually be an unusual student who had no community involvement he/she could point to.

On the other hand, given the timeline of admissions, they are probably looking at only one semester of college before determining if they will offer an appointment.

Of course, it also goes back to the observation that each application is different and each area brings its own typical student profiles.

My daughter will apply for the USAFA SS as soon as her PSAT and SAT scores arrive in December.  She is a junior and in our area, the congressional "meet and greet" happens in the Spring time.  I will definitely look into if they only accept known test scores since dd wants to retake the ACT.

GO Air Force!!!!!!!!!!  LOL  We are actually leaving in minutes to go watch USAFA football play our local university.

I will definitely look into if they only accept known test scores since dd wants to retake the ACT.

USAFA superscores.

http://www.academyadmissions.com/admissions/advice-to-applicants/all-applicants/academic-preparation/

Furthermore, they see taking it multiple times as an indicator of interest.

So for current juniors and younger, who are wondering what they should be doing, I can't say enough about spending some time going through the service academy websites. USNA has a pretty detailed Steps to Admission page. You can also look at the Class Portrait and get a sense of who was successful in the most recent application cycle. The general advice for 9-12 graders gives information on what courses are desirable and what the general timeline looks like. Naval Academy Admissions also has a Facebook page with lots of reminders and announcements.

Start here and poke around. http://www.usna.edu/Admissions/

Every year I talk with several students who are seniors and who either start an application in the spring and then don't work on completing it or who don't start their application until late fall. In many of these instances, I have to explain that they have already missed the window for requesting nominations or that they have few opportunities to improve their test scores or that their courses aren't as competitive as they could have been if they'd made some different choices. In almost every converstation, when I ask if they had spent any time on the academy website reading through the steps for admission, the answer is no.  Don't be that guy.

In a feeling of jointness:

Air Force Academy Application Steps: http://www.academyadmissions.com/admissions/the-application-process/application-steps/  USAFA also has the best compilation of suggestions for homeschoolers that I've seen. Their advice is widely applicable for all of the academies.  They even seem to have an iphone and android app for their checklist.

Military Academy (West Point) http://www.westpoint.edu/admissions/SitePages/Home.aspx

Coast Guard Academy http://www.cga.edu/admissions2.aspx?id=60

Merchant Marine Academy http://www.usmma.edu/admissions

Just a heads-up for homeschooling parents: USNA requests course descriptions with the transcript. I spent a very intense summer before DS's senior year coming up with four years of course descriptions. I never needed to do that for my other kids when they applied to college. It might be wise to begin getting that together during junior year.

I have seen quite a few public schooled kids try to get into service academies their senior year, having already missed deadlines for Congressional nominations. Many of these deadlines are in September or October and require several essays, in addition to certain minimum SAT/ACT scores. If an applicant doesn't take these tests during junior year, it may be too late for those nominations.

A better plan is to take the SAT/ACT in junior year (multiple times, if necessary), apply for the appropriate summer seminar as soon as the applications open, spend the summer completing the academy application process, as well as getting the applications in for nominations. Then during senior year, you can focus on your "plan B" applications, nomination interviews, and taking additional tests - I believe the academies will accept scores from tests taken through December.

In DS's case, this turned out to be an excellent course of action. He was the principal nominee for our congressional district and received his appointment in early December - best Christmas present ever!

Academy Admissions

Attention Candidates! The Admissions Office has extended the deadline for accepting standardized test scores to be considered as part of a candidate application package. We will now accept any SAT or ACT scores that were taken prior to 31 January 2014 (this applies to current high school seniors applying the Class of 2018). If you have any questions please contact your admissions counselor.

Is this for the Naval Academy?  I saw something similar on their FB page.

Fwiw I think that probing questions are part of the routine. I know I ask some that can feel uncomfortable and I almost never deal with homeschool students.

Much like the German speaking, I'm trying to see if something just looks good on paper or if there was student initiative, leadership and reliability.

I might ask a similar question about leadership to both homeschool and public school students. It is a chance for the student to shine. Which it sounds like your ds did.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those with younger students who are watching this thread, now is the time to apply to summer programs at the Academies. Each has some kind of summer seminar for rising seniors. Navy (and maybe others) also has a STEM camp for younger students.

There are a lot of applications for these summer programs, and always limited space. Students should not assume that a turn down for the summer program is an indication that the actual academy application will also be turned down.

• 4 weeks later...

An update on the nomination process. One of ds's was rescinded--ouch! One of our senator's offices messed up and gave out too many last year. So, they rescinded the ones for this year. This is SO not okay, as ds didn't get any from the other senator as he already "had the others". Only, now he doesn't. At least he still has one for each academy that he's interested in. If our rep hadn't double-nominated this year (when he said he wouldn't) he wouldn't have them at all. There are kids out there now who have NONE! Grrr... I understand needing to fix a mistake, but once they were given out, I think they should have stood. Why wasn't this caught a year ago?

Ouch indeed, Margaret.  How very frustrating for your son.  I wish him well on his journey.

Regards,

Kareni

• 2 months later...
Guest ForHisGlory

Just a heads-up for homeschooling parents: USNA requests course descriptions with the transcript. I spent a very intense summer before DS's senior year coming up with four years of course descriptions. I never needed to do that for my other kids when they applied to college. It might be wise to begin getting that together during junior year.

Would anyone be willing to share a sample of the course descriptions submitted with the application?  A sample detailing one course will satisfy my curiosity.  I am interested to know how detailed others have been in their descriptions.  Is a straightforward description of topics covered sufficient?  Do you recommend including information on methods of assessment?  For example, quizzes 10%, tests 25%, writing assignments 50%, project 15%.  Or is this not necessary?  Should only the main texts used be referenced and minor texts omitted? I am prepared to be as detailed as necessary, but donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t want to over kill it. 

Any feedback is appreciated. 

Would anyone be willing to share a sample of the course descriptions submitted with the application?  A sample detailing one course will satisfy my curiosity.  I am interested to know how detailed others have been in their descriptions.  Is a straightforward description of topics covered sufficient?  Do you recommend including information on methods of assessment?  For example, quizzes 10%, tests 25%, writing assignments 50%, project 15%.  Or is this not necessary?  Should only the main texts used be referenced and minor texts omitted? I am prepared to be as detailed as necessary, but donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t want to over kill it. 

This is what I sent to USAFA and USMA, and no additional information was requested (and the dc was accepted):

Algebra I Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Course uses the text Algebra I: Expressions, Equations and Applications, Paul Foerster, 1984. Algebra I covers algebraic expressions and their manipulation, general techniques for linear equations, rates, ratios and proportions, operations with polynomials and radicals, quadratic equations, expressions with two variables, graphing using the Cartesian Coordinate system, properties of exponents, factoring polynomials, inequalities, rational algebraic expressions, radial algebraic expressions, functions and solving quadratic inequalities.

I sent a similar paragraph for each subject.

The only people who care about methods of assessment are the NCAA. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the email today that my rising 8th grader was accepted to USNA STEM camp in June. We are Very excited here and hope to learn all we can about the whole process. My son is really interested in attending a service academy so it should be a great experience for him this summer.

Thanks so much to everyone here for posting about these opportunities. It was from lurking on these boards that we even found out that the STEM camp existed!

Just got the email today that my rising 8th grader was accepted to USNA STEM camp in June. We are Very excited here and hope to learn all we can about the whole process. My son is really interested in attending a service academy so it should be a great experience for him this summer.

Thanks so much to everyone here for posting about these opportunities. It was from lurking on these boards that we even found out that the STEM camp existed!

Congrats to him. Those spots are very hard to get.