Menu

Homeopathic medicine...yay or nay?

dancer67

As for Naturopaths - that's a mixed bag.  Most schools they go to are not accredited and they're only licensed to practice in 14 states. None of which necessarily excludes Naturopathy per se, but for every one or two good Naturopaths you're likely to end up with 10 quacks.  They also tend to prescribe supplements which are often pricey and only available through their office.

I don't think there's anything wrong with getting help from a good old medical provider and taking the medications that allow you to live your life.  That includes seeing a psychiatrist and CBT.  Be gentle with yourself.  When folks are sick with physical ailments, most people don't look down on them for seeking the treatment they need.  Likewise, the same is true for depression.  Don't self-medicate via message board for this.

I've personally encountered too many allopaths who have no business in medicine (including two in particular . . . . . . . .) - and they are licensed in all 50 states.  so that is no guarantee of quality of care.  

if the antidepressants worked for her - I assume she wouldn't be looking at something else.  I'm probably the only person I know who took Prozac and had few side-effects and an easy time getting off of it after 18 months (when the recommendation was 24 - but my body let me know it was time).  I've had friends tell me their horror stories of trying to get off of it. 

the cause of depression varies between people - and that's why a variety of treatments is needed because what works for one, doesn't necessarily work for another.  the allopathic medical field is well aware of this - hence the number of different antidepressants that work different ways and other treatments available. 

Dancer - hang in there.  there is something out there that will help you.  I hope you're able to find it.

the cause of depression varies between people - and that's why a variety of treatments is needed because what works for one, doesn't necessarily work for another. the allopathic medical field is well aware of this - hence the number of different antidepressants that work different ways and other treatments available.

Nowhere in my post did I suggest that doctors weren't aware of multivariate causes, differences between individuals, nor that there was only one option for treatment. CBT offers some hope for some people as does any number of other options readily available and backed by proper studies. I'm not sure as to how this necessitates an unlicensed practitioner that most insurance companies won't pay for and for which the OP has *already stated* she cannot afford.

The last part of your post, that there are a number of different medications and treatment options that medical doctors are aware of and that there is something out there to help her...this is what I said. That is what I can agree with and what the evidence supports. The benefit there being that the manufacture of said drugs is regulated whereas herbals and supplements are not. So, while the label may say one thing, what the remedy/supplement contains may be slightly or completely different not to mention the fact that the active constituents aren't standardized so one crop of an herb may have a certain percentage while another crop is woefully lacking.

And you're right, not all medical doctors are wonderful, caring individuals, but why does this necessitate heading off into the Wild, Wild West of unlicensed practitioners?

Thank you everyone for all the great posts, all the information and support. This has been a ride I have been on for quite some time. Although medications HAVE helped in the past, I was looking for something alternative to the SSRI/SSNRI route. I was on Effexor XR for a long time, and when I came off of it, it was just horrific. I still have some long lasting bad side effects from it to this day. I have been on Prozac before, and it was not as bad, so I am going to restart it again. I thought I could do it without it, but I can't. I appreciate the no judgements on here. It isn't very easy to come out and explain or admit something like this as there is still a lot of prejudice around this kind of illness.You are always afraid someone is going to take it and use it against you. Which has happened to me in the past.

And you're right, not all medical doctors are wonderful, caring individuals, but why does this necessitate heading off into the Wild, Wild West of unlicensed practitioners?

As for Naturopaths - that's a mixed bag.  Most schools they go to are not accredited and they're only licensed to practice in 14 states. None of which necessarily excludes Naturopathy per se, but for every one or two good Naturopaths you're likely to end up with 10 quacks.  They also tend to prescribe supplements which are often pricey and only available through their office

naturopathic medicine does run on the scientific method.  studies on how things work - and specific blood tests on patients.    both before and after supplementation to make sure levels that need to go up, are.  and levels that need to go down, do.

neither of the two utterly incompetent MD's were unlicensed. (therefore they cannot legally be called a quack.  though their incompetence nearly caused the DEATH of their patients.  one had a very good case - but didn't pursue it. I do understand the relief to just finally be getting better.)   there are MD's going to offshore medical schools because they can't get into one in the states, but they practice in the states.  (I always look at where a provider went to school before I will even consider them.)  and there are any number of MD's out there offering services in areas in which they are NOT board certified.   (you find a lot doing cosmetic procedures who are not trained plastic surgeons.)

fda approval of rx doesn't impress me either - consider the number of rx that had fda approval, and then were pulled from the market within just a few years because of injuries to patients.   fen-phen comes to mind.  though if the notices in my spam folder are anything to go by, mirena may soon suffer the same fate as there is a class-action lawsuit building against it for liver damage. 

Thank you everyone for all the great posts, all the information and support. This has been a ride I have been on for quite some time. Although medications HAVE helped in the past, I was looking for something alternative to the SSRI/SSNRI route. I was on Effexor XR for a long time, and when I came off of it, it was just horrific. I still have some long lasting bad side effects from it to this day. I have been on Prozac before, and it was not as bad, so I am going to restart it again. I thought I could do it without it, but I can't. I appreciate the no judgements on here. It isn't very easy to come out and explain or admit something like this as there is still a lot of prejudice around this kind of illness.You are always afraid someone is going to take it and use it against you. Which has happened to me in the past.

Have you tried something like 5-htp?  It doesn't interact with Ativan (from what I've read- I'm on Ativan too) and it works amazingly well for some people with depression/anxiety.  I stopped taking it because it was giving me some annoying abdominal muscle spasms, but it did work quite well, and it doesn't take weeks to have an effect.  Obviously talk to your doctor, because as mentioned it can cause serotonin syndrome, but if you haven't looked into that yet you might want to read about it.

No. Homeopathic "medicines" (which mean water or sugar pills that supposedly once experienced proximity to an agent/herb that would cause the same symptoms that the "remedy" claims to relieve, and which were then diluted to the point where no molecules of "active ingredient" remain, and all that is left is sugar/water that is "supposedly" transformed by the "vibrations" of the pre-dilution proximity to the active agent) are a fraud.

Homeopathy is a complete and total fraud. The whole thing is preposterous.

You get very expensive sugar-pills or sugar-syrup. Nothing more.

It is a pure placebo. If you want to spend your funds on placebo go ahead, but a sugar-pill would do the same (as there is no difference).

"Herbal remedies" are not the same as "homeopathy" (the two are often conflated). Herbal remedies generally have "active ingredients" than may trigger actions in the body (for either better or ill), but homeopathic "remedies" don't do anything (beyond any placebo effect) other than to reduce ones savings.

Bill

I don't know anything about homeopathic remedies, really.

But that said, the best results I have ever had on anything ongoing (I exclude the one major acute issue of appendix bursting -that requires surgery), was from from alternative remedies through knowledgeable people. 

So I'd definitely try alternative means for any chronic problem, before yet another prescription.

I hope it works our really well for you and that you have peace and a clean break from the depression. My heart does out to you!

What is naturopathic medicine?

Looking at wikipedia (I know, I know), I find this explanation:

Naturopathy, or naturopathic medicine, is a form of alternative medicine based on a belief in vitalism, which posits that a special energy called vital energy or vital force guides bodily processes such as metabolism, reproduction, growth, and adaptation...

According to the American Cancer Society, "scientific evidence does not support claims that naturopathic medicine can cure cancer or any other disease, since virtually no studies on naturopathy as a whole have been published"

Is "vitalsim" universal to naturopathy?

Have any studies on naturopathy as a treatment been published since the ACS published this comment?

Of course with anything natural or alternative, there are those that will be crying them down, so I really think its one of those things that you try for yourself and make your own mind up. But I really do recommend seeing a homeopath.

You are overlooking that many disputing homeopathy use alternative medicine.

My primary healthcare provider is a Naturopathic Doctor. She personally rejects homeopathy/sugar pills. It sounds as if you are conflating Homeopathy and Naturopathy. They are totally different.

Albeto- my ND focuses on removing barriers to the bodies natural healing systems and on prevention/maintaining excellent health. All of my numbers (blood panel) are better and my depression symptoms are essentially gone. But is not any one thing or popping a pill (be that a pharmaceutical or a supplement), it's using evidence based best practices to preserve health. My ND works on a major medical campus and receives patients and referrals from doctors and nurse practitioners all the time.

Have you tried something like 5-htp? It doesn't interact with Ativan (from what I've read- I'm on Ativan too) and it works amazingly well for some people with depression/anxiety. I stopped taking it because it was giving me some annoying abdominal muscle spasms, but it did work quite well, and it doesn't take weeks to have an effect. Obviously talk to your doctor, because as mentioned it can cause serotonin syndrome, but if you haven't looked into that yet you might want to read about it.

5htp must not be taken with certain SSRI meds- it's the combination that can cause serotonin syndrome.

You are overlooking that many disputing homeopathy use alternative medicine.

My primary healthcare provider is a Naturopathic Doctor. She personally rejects homeopathy/sugar pills. It sounds as if you are conflating Homeopathy and Naturopathy. They are totally different.

Albeto- my ND focuses on removing barriers to the bodies natural healing systems and on prevention/maintaining excellent health. All of my numbers (blood panel) are better and my depression symptoms are essentially gone. But is not any one thing or popping a pill (be that a pharmaceutical or a supplement), it's using evidence based best practices to preserve health. My ND works on a major medical campus and receives patients and referrals from doctors and nurse practitioners all the time.

Re-reading my original post, I can now see how you thought I was conflating the two.  I mentioned that the person I went to was a Naturopath/Homeopath.  It looks as if I'm lumping the two together, but he actually was a Naturopath and a Homeopath.  And my last sentence about recommending to see a Homeopath was just that, not to self-prescribe, which as I said earlier in my post is not an effective way of ascertaining for yourself if homeopathy works.

No, I don't at all overlook the fact that many alternative health users dispute the efficacy of homeopathy.  I wasn't propose that a person that believes in the efficacy of natural or alternative medicines/treatments must or do accept the efficacy of all medicine/treatments that fall under that category.

It's a well-known fact that there are many people swearing by one form or another of alternative medicine, but completely or partially reject Reiki, Energy healing, NAET, and many other forms of alternative medicine. 

In my own experience, I've been to 3 or 4 different naturopaths, and spent quite a bit of money, and I've never noticed very much difference in how I feel.  Whereas the Homeopath seemed to get it right immediately, I've been to him only once, and I feel so much better within 2 days of taking his remedies.  This is also why I don't believe it's a placebo effect.  I've liked the other practioners just as well, they were caring, I enjoyed the experience, had as much faith in their ability/knowledge, but never received much in the way of results.

Sorry for any confusion that my convoluted writing style caused you! :)