Menu

ABeCeDarian or The Logic of English Foundations Level A???

Elsa_2

I am trying to decide on a reading curriculum for my 6 year old daughter.  She has apraxia of speech and reading might be difficult for her.  But, she is ready to learn and excited about reading.  I am currently looking at ABeCeDarian and The Logic of English Foundations Level A.  I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with either of these reading programs?  Thank you! :) 

My remedial student with apraxia of speech did best with an incremental program with a marked print.   He was very smart, so he eventually ended up using 4 different marked print systems, but systems with a diacritically marked print were very helpful for him.  Webster's Speller was also very helpful for him, syllables add together better than isolated sounds, they were much less confusing to him.

He used CLE LA with his mom, and I used Webster's 1908 speller, McGuffey 1879 Reader, and my own marked UPP.  CLE was helpful for him, but he had to use it at 1/2 the rate, and they used it over the summer to keep him as caught up as possible. He also had a hard time remembering his 2 letter vowel teams, these charts were helpful, the colors were good hints and then he was weaned down to the black and white version (The ones on p. 3 and 4.)

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/Resources/PL26VowelChart.pdf

You may also need to work with her speech therapist and do something like LiPS.  

I've used both :)

I like both for different reasons.

If black and white, plain, simple and straightforward will work for you and your child than ABeCeDarian will be a great fit. It's very solid and incremental. Lessons don't take long and it's easy to use.

If you need color, games, and hands on aspects then LOE is for you. It is also incredibly user friendly. It is very fun.

I've reviewed both on my blog. I need to come back later and link.

I've used both :)

I like both for different reasons.

If black and white, plain, simple and straightforward will work for you and your child than ABeCeDarian will be a great fit. It's very solid and incremental. Lessons don't take long and it's easy to use.

If you need color, games, and hands on aspects then LOE is for you. It is also incredibly user friendly. It is very fun.

I've reviewed both on my blog. I need to come back later and link.

Thank you!  I would love to read your review about each one. :)

LOE 

ABC

Because I'm such a visual person I like LOE because it's so pretty!!  And I wasn't sure about the handwriting being included but it's been awesome for my kids.  We're doing cursive and they are doing amazing! 

I just like pretty things! 

We originally started with AAR which I'm still using for my son.  I'm only using LOE for my daughter right now.  My kids really like the readers of AAR and I like AAR.  So, I'm torn.  I may use AAR for my son and then LOE for my daughter because she's so wiggly!  Plus, then I won't be bored teaching both of them to read in the same program!  I have a curricula problem!!!!

ABC will get the job done well though.  I used it with my AAS tiles.  It's not as "active" and hands on.  But it's very thorough.  I just wanted more color........I like busy stuff with lots of pieces. 

There are links on both of my reviews to the main crew blog which has tons of other reviews of the same products.  So, there's enough reading to keep you busy for a long time but hopefully it's helpful. 

• 2 weeks later...

LOE

ABC

Because I'm such a visual person I like LOE because it's so pretty!!  And I wasn't sure about the handwriting being included but it's been awesome for my kids.  We're doing cursive and they are doing amazing! 

I just like pretty things! 

We originally started with AAR which I'm still using for my son.  I'm only using LOE for my daughter right now.  My kids really like the readers of AAR and I like AAR.  So, I'm torn.  I may use AAR for my son and then LOE for my daughter because she's so wiggly!  Plus, then I won't be bored teaching both of them to read in the same program!  I have a curricula problem!!!!

ABC will get the job done well though.  I used it with my AAS tiles.  It's not as "active" and hands on.  But it's very thorough.  I just wanted more color........I like busy stuff with lots of pieces. 

There are links on both of my reviews to the main crew blog which has tons of other reviews of the same products.  So, there's enough reading to keep you busy for a long time but hopefully it's helpful. 

Thank you for your reviews!  :)

I borrowed the ABC from our speech therapist & have been using it with my daughter for a week now.  It is working and she is enjoying it, but I have made a lot of adjustments to make it more appealing to her.  I'm going to continue using ABC and I've decided to order LOE too.  I really liked the fact that it had speech included and it had a lot of activities for wiggly kids.  I think I might use both and mix it up a bit for her.  I will have to post an update after I get the LOE in this week!  I'm excited to try it out too. :)