Menu

Essential Skills Advantage and Time 4 Learning?

Yuantoo

Hi, Suz. We've been using Time4Learning for a little over 4 years. Our daughter really enjoys the learning with T4L. We've tried different curriculum, but this is the only one that keeps her engaged. I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that I have to limit her time on T4L because she would stay on there for hours if she could. She's shown a lot of progress. Her reading and comprehension have improved tremendously. I appreciate that she's learning how to work independently when I need her to, and I can easily go back and view (and print) her progress report. If I see she's scored below 80%, I'll sit with her as she repeats the lesson so I can see where she needs my help in understanding. I also like that the program is prompted to explain a concept in a different way if she gets an answer wrong. Another thing I like is that we're not stuck to one grade level. We have the flexibility to choose from 3 different grade levels per subject.

In the lower grade levels, I would say that you can use this as the sole or primary source of learning. Higher elementary I suggest you supplement the science and social studies. We have been very happy with T4L!!

I tried Time4Learning and was thoroughly unimpressed.  Just my experience with my kids, of course.  But, I think it is clunky to use, difficult to determine grade level ahead of time, wacky in it's approach to 'grading', and disappointing in what it offers.  I used it with my first grader, and put her in second grade since she is an avid reader and good at math.  She was bored.  I used it with my third grader, a very average fella, and the program couldn't handle his approach to schoolwork.  He likes getting wrong answers with computer games/programs first to see what happens (the graphics can be funny).  The program could not handle that.  It gave me garbage data for him.

It is not like so many learning games that are available out there for tablets, etc.  You do not progress through levels as you improve.  There are a set number of lessons for each subject and you are expected to do every lesson in every subject before you are done with a grade.  But, showing that you are 'done' is not intuitive.  My kids often missed the assessments buried under the layers, and then even when they did do them, there were not obvious signs for me that they had been completed.

After three months I was done fiddling with it and paying for it.  I could have spent all that money on a boatload of iPod games or Internet-based games that would have taught my kids a lot more.  (Don't have a tablet...)

I just started using ESA for geography only.   I had some coupon for 50% off or something like that so the price was ok to try it with my youngest who is doing geography unit studies this year.  I thought it might be nice for working on skills for a few minutes each day.  So far, on our 3rd day of it, it's a lot of click here to answer a question, and more of the online worksheet style of learning.    She zipped through the maps section.   The US Geography so far seems nice with learning state names and practicing finding them on maps and spelling them.  in world geography section, there is at least a place to click to read to learn the facts before you do practice questions.   It's serving a specific purpose for us - a way to let me see if my child is picking up geography stuff (she has autism, so sometimes I  don't know what she knows.)

for the price I paid, I'd not upset with it. I would not pay full price.  half price is about value for me at most.  It's dry. thankfully doesn't take long to go through a section.  I'm glad I'm using other stuff for main program and this is just for drill and checking if skills are there.    When we're done with it, we're done.

Thanks cbollen for the post...  I'm glad someone has knowledge about ESA.  I will definately look for it on sale, maybe thru homeschool buyers co-op.   I'm still a bit undecided what to add.  Hmmm...  I may look alittle more on-line and then decide.  Thanks...