Menu

Audio Books for Travel?

We have a long car trip (12 hours of driving one way) coming up and enjoy listening to audio books during trips.

We've enjoyed The Hobbit, Narnia, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Hotel for Dogs, Because of Winn-Dixie, Mouse and the Motorcycle, and Ralph S Mouse, and some of us have enjoyed Cat of Bubastes and Black Beauty.  They've listened to lots of Librivox books, I can't even name them all.

Any suggestions? My kiddos are 6, 7, and almost-9.  They tend to be easily scared.  I'm not opposed to purchasing something really good and classic but Librivox is good too.

(Sorry, no Librivox recommendations here).

My ds is 7, he enjoyed "Stories of the Pilgrims" read by Jim Hodges. He has recorded other books as well, e.g. Henty, some selections from Yesterday's Classics. 

http://www.jimhodgesaudiobooks.com/

Our local Christian radio station also broadcast excerpts of the missionary biographies written by Janet and Geoff Benge. We enjoyed those enough that we bought the audio books from the same publisher (YWAM).

http://www.ywampublishing.com/c-101-audiobooks.aspx

Classics.. we enjoyed E.B. White's reading of The Trumpet of the Swan. On the same page, Amazon also recommends "TheCricke t in Times Square", "Homer Price" and I remember those as being mild read-alouds though YMMV. 

http://www.amazon.com/The-Trumpet-of-the-Swan/dp/B000LV6QCE?tag=ap0a7eddd0-20

In no particular order:

Anything done by Jim Weiss, the master story teller who reads, I believe, The Story of the World.  http://www.greathall.com/   

Rascal by Sterling North is read by Jim Weiss

Babe or any books by Dick King Smith

books by Lynn Reid Banks, read by the author:  Indian in the Cupboard series, I Houdini (about an escape artist hamster)

books by E Nesbit such as Five Children and It, Railway Children

Secret of NIMH

Around the World in 80 Days as read by Jim Dale, 

The original Winnie the Pooh books

We listen to audio books pretty much every time we get in the car. Our biggest hits for kids 5-12 have been:

Big Friendly Giant, narrated by Natascha Richardson; 2nd favorite

Anne of Green Gables- the 5yr old wasn't that into it, but she didn't complain much. It was everyone else's favorite.

James and the Giant Peach

Blood Tide

Cricket in Times Square

Bunnicula and its sequels. Bunnnicula is not scary.

Little House in the Big Woods

We've just discovered audio book downloads from our library. I put them on my iphone and plug them into our car. It's free and there's a much bigger selection than our library has. Our library doesn't have much.

Rascal by Sterling North is read by Jim Weiss

We had listened to a lot of Jim Weiss in the car. Then we listened to, "The Incredible Journey" on a car trip. Then Dh told everyone we meet at the end of the journey how wonderful it was. For some reason I had to let him know several times that "The Incredible Journey" was not read by Jim Weiss. (It was read by Somebody Whitman).

So I think he would love Rascal, assuming it wasn't sad or scary. 

In that regard (sad/scary) how does is compare to other books?

We had listened to a lot of Jim Weiss in the car. Then we listened to, "The Incredible Journey" on a car trip. Then Dh told everyone we meet at the end of the journey how wonderful it was. For some reason I had to let him know several times that "The Incredible Journey" was not read by Jim Weiss. (It was read by Somebody Whitman).

So I think he would love Rascal, assuming it wasn't sad or scary. 

In that regard (sad/scary) how does is compare to other books?

I love Rascal.  I discovered it when I read it aloud to my kids when they were little and it is just one of those very special books -- funny, gentle, poignant, interesting because of the time in which it takes place.  It is a memoir of a year in the author's life when he was 12 years old and adopted a baby raccoon.  Of course most of the book is about the crazy antics of the raccoon, but you see the year 1919 through the eyes of a 12yo living in a small American town -- WWI, the flu epidemic, things like party lines on telephones.  It isn't scary at all. 

I'm going to have to pull out my copy and re-read it -- I don't think we have a cassette player in the house so I can have Jim Weiss read to me!  

The Wind in the Willows

The Secret Garden - I Iike audio for this because I find the dialect hard to read aloud well.

any E.B. White book

Jim Weiss' Shakespeare cd

Hank the Cowdog - not great literature, but funny

Max McLean's Pilgrim's Progress - a stretch for kids, but if yours know the story they might like it

The Jungle Book and/or Just So Stories

James Herriot's Treasury for Children 

D'aulaire's Greek Myths - we got this from Audible and my kids love it

Thanks, everyone, there's a lot of great ideas here ... we've read many of your suggestions and listened to some.  My husband isn't up for Jim Weiss this trip, we've listened to tons of his CDs and listened to his Men of Iron on our last trip (I forgot that one).

I think we're going to try out Kayray's The Swiss Family Robinson from librivox for the next trip. 

If you sign up at audible.com you get a free book. Just cancel the subscription before 30 days. When you cancel, they will offer you a 1/2 price subscription for 3 months that gives you a free book each month. Cancel at the end of 3 months and resign up after a year and get the same deal again.

At Downpour.com get you one book for $6.95 if you sign up for an account. This is NOT the same as a subscription. I just got a $45.00 1st volume of Plutarch's Lives, which is over 40 hours of audio for $6.95. I didn't subscribe and waiting to see if they offer me any deals like Audible.com.

In my state it's free to have library cards from all over the state. The capital city card is free in most state's. You can download audio from any library you have a card from.

Currclick has Alcazar Audios. Sometimes they go on sale.

I'm not a big fan of Librivox quality.

The Phantom Tollbooth, read by David Hyde Pierce. It was SO much fun to listen to, and even though we listened to it quite a while back, it has remained one of my kids' all time favorite audio books. And I recommend it every chance I get - it was that good!

I saw too that someone recommended the Percy Jackson series, which is what we're going through right now. Very well done - we're on the fourth book and enjoying the series immensely.

Trumpet of the Swan read by EB White may be the best audio book ever!

Little House on the prairie will keep you busy a long time.  Good Stuff.

We did all the 39 Clues last spring...surprisingly educational but maybe too scary.  Reminds me of Magic Tree House for older kids.

We like buying Adventures in Odyssey for trips.

We have enjoyed many Roald Dahl books recently.  I'd suggest Harry Potter, but if they are scared easily, then it might be too scary.  My kids love HP, and the books are LONG so they work nicely for long trips.

Mary Pope Osborne's Adventures of the Odyssey was great, but it might be scary, I suppose.

Stuart Little, The Wizard of Oz, Peter Pan are all great.