Menu

Have you rearranged MoH 1 so that it's a LITTLE more geographical?

ereks mom

I really love the idea of chronological history, but in practice, it's not working for me as well as I would like.  MoH seems to skip around too much geographically.  I love that it begins at Creation and revisits Biblical history frequently so that we get an idea of what's going on with the Israelites at the same time as other events.  However, it's bothering me that we jump from Mesopotamia (Gilgamesh) to Britain (Stonehenge) to Egypt to Crete (Minoans) in consecutive lessons, and then a few lessons later we jump back to Mesopotamia (Hammurabi) and then to China!  We like for our history and literature to line up, and we need at least 1-2 weeks for each of the books we want to read.  When we jump from one region to another so quickly, we don't have time to finish a book that goes with one time period before it's time to jump to another.  So you see my dilemma! 

I think I'd prefer to do history "chronologically but in--smallish--geographical clumps" (KWIM?) so that we can better coordinate the books that go along with the region/time period WITHOUT having to buy another program (like Biblioplan, etc.).  Has anyone rearranged MoH in this way?  I know it should be fairly easy, but I'd rather not tackle it if someone's already done it.  Care to share???  :)

I just let it skip around. My kids understood that the book we were reading was on one area--kind of like a "balloon" blow-up of that place/time on a timeline would be. We kept up with locations with a wall-map. Sometimes we'd come back to the country we were on during a read-aloud.

I also use Sonlight, which does more of what you are saying--follows a civilization for awhile, then goes back and picks up another one, and it does have it's pros, so I totally get the desire for that. I was at a point where I really wanted to understand how history fit together time-wise, and found that most of the time, MOH did a good job of giving a quick review of a location to bring us up to speed in that country/region.

Sorry I'm not much help! I think that Winter Promise rearranged MOH for upper elem/jr. high age...you could look into that. Merry :-)

THIS!!! ...... this very problem is why I choose to use Biblioplan!

I love MOH , but I also didn't like how it jumps all over the place ;)

Biblioplan pulls it all together, still tied in with the Bible stories, in mostly chronological order, but by area :D

I purchased an older version of Biblioplan, so I don't have the current ed. with all the new extra stuff. I only have the plan pages, the timeline pages, the maps, and the coloring pages (I don't care for those much as I've found much better ones online)

HTH!!!

So... would someone mind helping me rearrange the Lessons in MoH 1 in a way that makes more sense geographically (for example, as I said in my OP: "chronologically but in--smallish--geographical clumps")?  I'm not talking about anything fancy or involved, and I don't want to have to buy an entire history program; I just want a rearranged list of MoH lesson numbers.  Any takers?  :p  Thanks!