Menu

Book EMERGENCY.....calling the hive

*Lulu*

Happily married, mother of three, in serious need of a break from reality, seeking humerous reading material

Must be at least moderately well written and absolutely not sappy or interested in making me contemplate the larger questions of life

Thanking the Hive in advance for setting me up!

B)

Whew! Reading the thread title, I thought your chest was on fire. :tongue_smilie:

I don't have any book recommendations for you. Sadly, I exclusively read the kind of books you're trying to get away from. :p

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That would be a bOOk EMERGENCY.......

Also very important, if you are having one. The only crisis I suffer in that department is the consistent application of gravity and time.

Ooooh!  I have a great suggestion ...

PG Wodehouse--any of the Jeeves and Wooster books

I see it's been recommended though!  I *heart heart* PG Wodehouse.

If you enjoy audiobooks then I will recommend Bob Newhart's book - I don't think it would be as good as an actual book because he reads the audiobook and that adds so much charm. 

Jim Gaffigan's new book seems to be hilarious!  I haven't read it yet but my husband is in the middle of it and can't stop laughing.  He has been reading parts of it out loud to me, which he NEVER does, and its all given me a good laugh

Off to order this for DH's birthday.

My Planet: Finding Humor in the oddest places by Mary Roach.

http://www.amazon.com/My-Planet-Finding-Oddest-Places/dp/1621450716/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379186638&sr=1-5

And if you want to tackle some of lives questions with the help of Mary Roach then:

Read Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void and find out how to astronaunts go poop without it floating about.

How to astronaunts go poop without it floating about? 

http://www.amazon.com/Packing-Mars-Curious-Science-Life/dp/B00AR2BCLW/ref=la_B001H6MAHM_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379186738&sr=1-4

oh well, I'm to lazy to list the rest of them. 

http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Roach/e/B001H6MAHM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

AMDG

I didn't have timt to mention thhis earlier, and its off topic anyway . . .

One of our libraries sometimes wraps a book in brown paper and tapes a notice like the one you put on the op. It's right at the librarian's desk and you are not supposed to unwrap the book. Just select from the personals, yell her which one and she checks it out for you. Then you can open it then and there or wait . . . For a more intimate moment.

They started it on valentines day one year but it was so popular that they bring it back several times per year.

Or, did . . . That library is now closed for a three-year renovation.

Bill Bryson: A Walk in the Woods, I'm a Stranger Here Myself, In a Sunburned Country (although I admit this is probably funnier if you actually have lived in Australia)

I loved A Walk in the Woods! I will have to check out his others you mentioned. When I need something funny and light, I always default to Sofie Kinsella. I think I first heard of her here. Her "shop-a-holic" books are actually my least favorite. Can You Keep a Secret had me crying for laughing so hard both times I read it.

Shhh....don't tell anyone, but the last book I read was by Meg Cabot (the Heather Wells series) which wasn't laugh out loud funny, but didn't require contemplating any of life's thornier matters. It also wasn't too angsty when it comes to her love interest which is firmly a side issue. The first and third were better than the second.

If asked, I will deny ever having read it.

Terry Pratchett!

Jasper Forde (Thursday Next series, The Big Over Easy, the Nursery Crimes Division series)

Robert Asprin

For books that will really suck you in try the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

If you have a high tolerance for burlesque - in the full-steam-ahead, witty, racy sense - you might like John Barth's The Sotweed Factor.

Happily married, mother of three, in serious need of a break from reality, seeking humorous reading material

Must be at least moderately well written and absolutely not sappy or interested in making me contemplate the larger questions of life.

Humorous, well-written, not sappy, not the Big Questions .... check, check, check, check.

AMDG

I didn't have timt to mention thhis earlier, and its off topic anyway . . .

One of our libraries sometimes wraps a book in brown paper and tapes a notice like the one you put on the op. It's right at the librarian's desk and you are not supposed to unwrap the book. Just select from the personals, yell her which one and she checks it out for you. Then you can open it then and there or wait . . . For a more intimate moment.

They started it on valentines day one year but it was so popular that they bring it back several times per year.

Or, did . . . That library is now closed for a three-year renovation.

What does AMDG mean, please?

I've been wondering this, too! MomOfOneFunOne, what does it mean?

To laugh, if you don't mind colorful language, anything by Jen Lancaster.  My favorite is her first, Bitter is the New Black.  Laugh out loud funny.  

Let's Pretend This Never Happened, by Jenny Lawson.  Also hilarious. 

My favorite feel good book ever is Modoc:  The True Story of the Greatest Elephant That Ever Lived.  It sounds weird, but I'm telling you this book is amazing.  It's full of love and adventure and just fantastic storytelling.  Every person I've recommended it to has loved it. 

I've been wondering this, too! MomOfOneFunOne, what does it mean?

AMDG

Sorry, sorry, guys! Not paying attention!

AMDG is an acronym for Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam which means "for the greater glory of God."  Besides being (a slight abbreviation of) the motto of the Jesuits, many Catholics will type or write it first in a letter or document.  People do it for all kinds of reasons including reminding themselves to only say those things which are for the greater glory -- and not mean, snarky, sarcastic, et c.

Of course, I'm not saying that *I* need reminding . . .!  ;)