Menu

PowerPoint projects

Me too! And if someone could give me a dummies version for doing it on the iPad I would be so grateful.

Apple's keynote program is easy and great!

http://www.apple.com/apps/iwork/keynote/

It is going to be free for new devices soon. I have no idea how that will work - or what... I haven't read that part of the notes from Tuesday's announcement.

Here is a tutorial from a couple of years ago: 

It should at least give you a feel for what to do with it!

My older dd has done powerpoint presentations about Greek and Roman gods, rocks, Doctor Who, and a few other things.  I don't assign them, she just does them.

My younger dd made a powerpoint presentation about The Ugly Duckling.  She drew, scanned and clipped pictures for it then added text and narration.  It was pretty cool.  I make them for work so it is something the kids think is perfectly ordinary to do.  She also made one about her desire for a puppy.  

Apple's keynote program is easy and great!

http://www.apple.com/apps/iwork/keynote/

It is going to be free for new devices soon. I have no idea how that will work - or what... I haven't read that part of the notes from Tuesday's announcement.

Here is a tutorial from a couple of years ago:

It should at least give you a feel for what to do with it!

Thank you

DD12 is using Power Point this year.  She is studying Geography and is putting together her "Countries of the World" presentation as she goes.  Today she did the slide on Canada - flag, capitol, significant information. For some slides, she is even planning to add music - anthems or famous pieces associated with that country.  By the end of the year,she should have a pretty amazing show.

DS did a powerpoint for his science project last year. We used Ruth's suggestions about student directed projects for science and DS wanted to make a fuel cell. In stead of doing dong the typical poster board he did his project on ppt and divided the slides into the scientific method portions. He even learned to do a bibliography and added that at the end. It worked out great. He wanted to do a history timeline but never got around to it. I would suggest let DC pick a project they enjoy and then have a limited concise goal to work to.

I intentionally do not teach or use Power Point.  It is the antithesis of WTM.  Strong writing, with good sentence structure and generative grammar, combined with good interactive discussion and thinking skills are what I want to foster.  Power Point does neither.  It encourages non-grammatical bullet lists, shallow reasoning, and emphasizes presentation over content.