Menu

13yo girl birthday gift ideas

My dd is turning 13 this week, and I'm having such a hard time coming up with gift ideas. She's not a girly girl...doesn't care about clothes, jewelry, make-up...she's very into animals. Loves to read and write stories. I'm open to any suggestions, please. She only has two computer games and one book on her wish-list. Thanks!

Does she have any other hobbies or interests? My dd knits, crossstitches, is into digital photography and digital scrapbooking, etc. How about a gift certificate to do something together like ceramics at an art store? I find non-girly girls really fun and interesting.

We started it because our daughter's birthday is so close to Christmas that it seemed silly to just give her more "stuff." We wanted a way to make her birthday feel special and different. But it worked out so well that we now do the same thing for our son.

My daughter the theatre geek almost always gets tickets to a show, although she has also been taken supplied-air snorkeling in the big tanks at Epcot and to a behind-the-scenes seminar at Universal Studios. My son has done all kinds of things, from indoor sky diving to seeing Blue Man Group.

Maybe you could plan a special outing for her instead of something that comes in a package?

Love the idea of tickets to something (a previous poster mentioned...) or an experience (rock-climbing lessons, a horse-riding lesson or two just to try it out, etc...).

A magazine subscription? Cobblestone Publishing has neat ones. If she likes stories, maybe Cricket or Cicada. Or, if she has a particular type of animal she likes, see if there is a magazine subscription for that (Cat Fancy, Dog Fancy, Young Rider, etc...).

Does she have the Daring Book for Girls?

Donate in her name to a local animal shelter?

Putamayo cds? My dd loves these.

A cute poster or something decorative for her room?

Sheet set or duvet cover w/ an animal she likes on them?

Jigsaw puzzle?

My dd is turning 13 this week, and I'm having such a hard time coming up with gift ideas. She's not a girly girl...doesn't care about clothes, jewelry, make-up...she's very into animals. Loves to read and write stories. I'm open to any suggestions, please. She only has two computer games and one book on her wish-list. Thanks!

Is there a creative writing class in your area that you could sign her up for?

A gift certificate for a book store

A book about writing (there are some geared for teens). Here are a couple of likely possibilities:

Give this one with a journal, Unjournaling: Daily Writing Exercises that Are NOT Personal, NOT Introspective, NOT Boring!

and

by the author of Ella Enchanted: Writing Magic: Creating Stories that Fly

Regards,

Kareni

Maybe something you two can do together? Like, a certificate for the two of you to buy some things to donate to the local SPCA, then go there and volunteer to spend time socializing with the dogs and cats? Our SPCA encourages this, and it makes them more adoptable (two dogs have been adopted because people have seen us playing with them and loved them--they looked too shy in their cages). It is an amazing experience, and probably something she will remember for a long time.

Or, if you can't do that, something else, related to animals, you can both do together, visit a zoo, etc?

Mine is 14, and just bought herself a new camera. Under 200 bucks on amazon. She's having a blast with it. Puts her movies and pics on her computer.

Same here- but we bought a good one 2nd hand for $99.

That, with Photoshop on the computer- hours of creative fun!

Also, MP4 player, mobile phone, gift vouchers for books/ music CDs/ CDRoms/ DVDs have gone down well in the last year or two.