Menu

Cornbread ~ sweet or not? That is the question!

4ofus

Cornbread ~ sweet or not?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Cornbread ~ sweet or not?

• Sweet!
    • Not!

I answered sweet on the poll but I prefer it slightly sweet. My recipe uses 1/4 cup sugar.

I remember once having cornbread at dh's parents house. It was dry and definitely not sweet. Fil loaded his piece up with butter and honey. Loaded it. I guess that was the best way to eat it. Yeah, it was that bad. :tongue_smilie:

No clue, but I have to say I've never eaten one as sweet as pound cake.  Do you have a recipe?  I'd like to try that.

Sure.

1 cup flour

1 cup cornmeal

1 cup sugar

1 Tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups milk

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375. Whisk together dry ingredients. Fold wet ingredients into dry. Stir until just blended. Pour into 9x9 pan or dish. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. I usually halve this for my family and use an 8x8 pan, greased.

Sure.

1 cup flour

1 cup cornmeal

1 cup sugar

1 Tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups milk

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375. Whisk together dry ingredients. Fold wet ingredients into dry. Stir until just blended. Pour into 9x9 pan or dish. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. I usually halve this for my family and use an 8x8 pan, greased.

That is a cake recipe that happens to include cornmeal as part of the "flour" component.  Compare this with some cake recipes in cookbooks and you'll see the similarities.  (although this contains more baking powder than so small a cake usually would include)  At any rate, I would not think of this, nor serve this, as a "side of cornbread" with a meal. 

That is a cake recipe that happens to include cornmeal as part of the "flour" component.  Compare this with some cake recipes in cookbooks and you'll see the similarities.  (although this contains more baking powder than so small a cake usually would include)  At any rate, I would not think of this, nor serve this, as a "side of cornbread" with a meal. 

Yep, and that is how we like it. Always with pinto beans. 

Not sweet!  There has to be a little sugar in there, about 1/4 cup, but I can't stand the kind of cornbread that is more like cake than bread.  You can put honey on it if sweet is wanted, and that's better anyway.

I also fill mine up with corn.  It's the favorite method here.

Now I want to bake cornbread for dinner....but it's going to be like 95 today...