Menu

Physical Therapy I Need input

Candid

I have an injured shoulder. I've been told that it was/is close to being a "frozen shoulder."

I had an evaluation appointment and now two actual therapy appointments. I've been doing the exercises they sent me home with. 

The therapist who evaluated me and worked with me at the first appointment, I liked, but she told me she is only part time. Thus far I have only seen one other therapist at the place, but I've really only been twice.

As part of the appointments, I am "manipulated" or stretched by the therapist. This is the worst pain I've ever felt easily topping childbirth (and I had no pain killers for either child). I know I need to do this to get better, but I'm not exactly eager for appointments, either. 

With the first therapist, I survived partly because she spent time shaking me out after each stretch. All she told me when she was doing the tough stretches was to breathe. 

Today with the other therapist, it was worse. I suspect she stretched me more which I suppose is a good thing, but she did not do as much shaking out and made several comments about how I was too stiff and wasn't relaxing. I was shaky when I was done and when I got home I went upstairs to lay down and apply more cold therapy as I am supposed to and found myself crying. I am not a crier and although I wasn't sobbing dramatically I didn't stop either. This afternoon on a short grocery run I noticed I was still shaky. 

So I need input from others who have therapy: am I right in thinking that if I am faithful in exercising and keep doing this it will get better? And if you can remember how quickly that happens, I could stand to hear that. Should I expect to be just wiped out by the pain?

I have a weird set of appointments due to me judging fair entries on Friday of this week so I won't go back until next Wednesday.

What I also need input on is what to tell therapist number 2 who I assume I will have again about both the relaxation comments which made the whole process more difficult for me plus the shaking out. I'm hopeful that I'll have the first therapist for my second appointment next week since it is scheduled in the same time period as the first one I had with her. 

Can you call and only ask to schedule with the first therapist?  I wouldn't want to be passed around to just whoever was available.  Each PT works differently and working with 2 different ones seems like a bad idea for more than an occasional 'out sick' day. 

You want to be comfortable with your therapist. Call and schedule with the part-time one, even if it means longer time periods between.  As for the pain, it can be a problem after a treatment, but it sounds like your tension may have increased it.  Use the ice, use the ibuprofen, Tylenol, or whatever you can take for pain. 

Can you call and only ask to schedule with the first therapist?  I wouldn't want to be passed around to just whoever was available.  Each PT works differently and working with 2 different ones seems like a bad idea for more than an occasional 'out sick' day. 

Yes, this is what I was thinking, but it wasn't a great day for thinking. 

I think I will see the second person once more to make sure I am on target with this thought and then go from there, but I want to make sure that the pain isn't clouding my judgement. 

A frozen shoulder is just about the most painful thing ever. I thought at the time that maybe amputation was an option (can you tell I was feeling desperate). 

I had some strong pain medicine that I took about an hour before I went for therapy (on the therapists advice). 

It does get better but it is a long road. 

Thankfully my kids were in public school at the time because I think I spent about 6 months just lying in bed (wishing that my shoulder would stop hurting).