Menu

? About Taking Oral Progesterone

JumpyTheFrog

My progesterone levels are low so my doctor has me taking oral progesterone from day 21 until the end of my cycle. What side effects have people had? My period was a few days late (very unusual) and for the last five days, I have been feeling very irritable. I am normally very stable mood-wise. Pregnancy didn't make me weepy or irritable and I don't get moody from PMS. I have gone through years of severe insomnia that would make most people angry all the time. That's why I think me feeling like I want to rip people's heads off might be a side effect.

Has anyone had either of these side effects? If so, how long did things take to settle down?

I take it for the last half of my cycle and it makes me feel dizzy and lightheaded.  I haven't noticed it making me more irritable.  It does make me feel more emotional in that I am more weepy though.  I did find that if I took it at night it helped with the symptoms.

My progesterone levels are low so my doctor has me taking oral progesterone from day 21 until the end of my cycle. What side effects have people had? My period was a few days late (very unusual) and for the last five days, I have been feeling very irritable. I am normally very stable mood-wise. Pregnancy didn't make me weepy or irritable and I don't get moody from PMS. I have gone through years of severe insomnia that would make most people angry all the time. That's why I think me feeling like I want to rip people's heads off might be a side effect.

Has anyone had either of these side effects? If so, how long did things take to settle down?

I wouldn't take oral progesterone.  Despite my gyn's protestations to the contrary, oral progesterone is absorbed very poorly. (I don't remember the details; it's been ten years, thankfully.) 

My script was for 200mg oral progesterone, and I would sleep for hours during the day. On top of that, it was ineffective for stopping my out of control bleeding. I don't know if it made me irritable, as I had enough other things that I could have blamed that on. 

Topical progesterone (cream) was a much better solution for me, and I only needed 5-10 mg.

I am taking 100mg and my doctor said it would only have about 20% absoprtion rate. She gave me the choice between oral and topical. She said topical is cheaper but since it is OTC, there can be quality control issues. I chose oral because If topical didn't seem to work, I didn't want to have to wonder if the reason was that it wasn't going to help or if it was a quality control issue.

My primary symptom is severe insomnia right before my period, so I am trying it to help me sleep better.

Are you taking provera ? I took progesterone while undergoing infertility treatment related to pcos.  Provera turned me into a total witch.  I had more of an issue with it than any of the actual fertility meds.  I switched to prometrium, which is peanut derived and more expensive.  Much better and well worth it.  I used it in one of my pregnancies from ovulation til testing, and opted to take it vaginally even though it was RXd as oral.  

It generally makes me a big sleepier before bed.  I don't need it to induce periods like I used to so it has been a while.  You may want to explore the option of prometrium vs provera if you aren't peanut allergic.  Frankly, provera made me feel practically homicidal.  I don't have that reaction to prometrium.