Menu

on-line math and reading helps??

ally

My son was adopted from China at the age of 6 1/2.  He is now 8 and in 2nd grade.  He is struggling academically but not receiving help at school except ESL.  I would like to supplement him after school with some things on the computer since he enjoys it.  I think he would respond better as he would view as a privilege to work on the computer and not more "school work".  What are your recommendations for math and reading work. I am considering Time4learning but would love to know of other programs people liked.  We did reading eggs last year and I didnt see a lot of value to it.  He figured out ways around actually learning the material.  

Thanks for your help

I would start with a full subscription to Starfall.com, then check out the resources at Learning.com.  The adaptive math program would probably be a good one (Learning.com).  I also like the Sophia materials.  For reading, you could check out some of the free workbooks and other materials available at the various textbook publishers' sites.  Treasures is a good one.  http://www.mhschool.com/

There are also some specific ESL sites that offer worksheets and other materials. 

My son enjoys Explode the Code online.  You purchase a year long subcription and have access to all the workbook levels so you can choose to start wherever you need.   My kids also like Jumstart and MathBlaster- but there are lots of ways to play on those sites without ever doing any learning.  My daughter likes Always Ice Cream, the guy version is called Clever Dragons.

If you visit Homeschool Buyers Coop there are often sales or free trial periods for the online resources so you can give them a try.  :-)

I've recently found this site : http://www.mobymax.com/ and my boys are all enjoying it :) Best of all its FREE!

I also have ETC online for my middle boy again , it goes up through book 6 and he has asked for it back since we quit doing it awhile back so I finally signed him back up ... through homeschoolbuyerscoop ... its only $40 for a year thru them :)
https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/explode-the-code-online/?source=60546

Guest sunshine1221

I have to put in a vote for Dreambox for math; I think there's a free trial, and I think it does a great job in terms of adapting the activities to the needs of the student.  I signed up through the homeschool buyer's co-op.