Menu

Which Latin curricula would you consider high school level?

Choosing something for Latin I, which curricula do you consider sufficient?  Ana's Latin was hit or miss.  She self-studied, we did co-op, we did it with a tutor, and with a friend of the family. (He was the best resource.)  However, we popped all over for curricula.   I'm wanting to give her a comprehensive exam to see if what she learned would be sufficient for a Latin I credit.  The only fair way I can think of to do this is to do one comprehensive exam / evaluation.

Can you total up approximate hours for the credit and then figure out how to assign a grade based on work she accomplished, quizzes, etc.? I think a comprehensive exam over various curricula would be hard to create and not entirely fair to your daughter. Is this something she finished this past spring or did she just finish it? It makes a great deal of difference when it comes to an exam.

What curriculum was used?

Maybe do the National Latin Exam? I know the Exploratory Latin Exam lists a passing score on the score report, as well as the certificate and medal levels for high scores, so you could use it to demonstrate proficiency in pre-high school Latin, and I'd assume each level of the NLE does as well.

Below is from Lukeion and their placement tests, which I used to determine whether DD would be ready for Level 1a.  If Latin 2 placement test is at least 70% using books other than Wheelock's, then it looks like Lukeion could have the student enroll in Latin 2. 

If you or your learner has been taking Latin in another program and are considering switching to Lukeion Latin, help yourself to our placement exams:

Latin II Preparedness Quiz

This quiz covers material from chapters 1-19. If you have not learned Latin from Wheelock, you will not know a lot of the vocabulary but you should know most of the grammar. This quiz will test to see how much you do know.

If you learned Latin from the Wheelock program, you should score at least 80% before you consider jumping into second year Latin at The Lukeion Project (this is considered the minimum passing grade to advance to second year). If you mastered Latin using some other program, a 70% may be sufficient to pass you to the next level (per instructor review).

Below is from Lukeion and their placement tests, which I used to determine whether DD would be ready for Level 1a.  If Latin 2 placement test is at least 70% using books other than Wheelock's, then it looks like Lukeion could have the student enroll in Latin 2.

Thank you for the link. Dd has done Henle and a few chapters of Wheelocks. Going to try these exams soon.

Choosing something for Latin I, which curricula do you consider sufficient?  Ana's Latin was hit or miss.  She self-studied, we did co-op, we did it with a tutor, and with a friend of the family. (He was the best resource.)  However, we popped all over for curricula.   I'm wanting to give her a comprehensive exam to see if what she learned would be sufficient for a Latin I credit.  The only fair way I can think of to do this is to do one comprehensive exam / evaluation.

I'm not sure what your question is here.  Although there are many high-school level Latin textbooks, the curriculum that each cover is surprisingly standardized, though often the order is different.  What does differ, though, is vocabulary, which can make testing difficult if you've switched from one to another. For High School Latin, about half of Wheelock (maybe a bit less) is typical for Latin 1, or all of LNM book 1, or (with a lot of help from a teacher) about half of Lingua Latina.

You said that she's done some chapters in Wheelock.  How many?  Which ones?  Are there any chapters in Wheelock that she hasn't done in that book, but look familiar enough from other texts?  What is your goal?

I'm not sure what your question is here.  Although there are many high-school level Latin textbooks, the curriculum that each cover is surprisingly standardized, though often the order is different.  What does differ, though, is vocabulary, which can make testing difficult if you've switched from one to another. For High School Latin, about half of Wheelock (maybe a bit less) is typical for Latin 1, or all of LNM book 1, or (with a lot of help from a teacher) about half of Lingua Latina.

You said that she's done some chapters in Wheelock.  How many?  Which ones?  Are there any chapters in Wheelock that she hasn't done in that book, but look familiar enough from other texts?  What is your goal?

Sorry, she wasn't the OP so I'm wondering which of us you are asking. :) 

My DD has done some Henle, Latin for Children, Latina Christiana, and some Lingua Latina.  She's memorized flashcards of grammar as well.  This is why I'm so uncertain.  I would like to use Latin 1 as an elective on her transcripts *if* it was truly worthy of Latin 1 and she's retained the knowledge.  However, she's not finished a book other than Latina Christiana which I didn't consider sufficient for high school.  So, I'm leery of counting bits and pieces for a credit unless she can prove she's covered enough material.

I like the National Latin Exam idea a lot. Just use the tests and answer keys you can freely download online. You know she's put in hours; you just don't know if she's mastered the material of Latin 1, right? So if she takes one of the exams and does well, good enough! You can keep a copy of the test as proof with her records. Or, you could have her take the official exam in March if you need an outside stamp of approval. The National Latin Exam is a standard, so I think it's a good bet.

I would like to use Latin 1 as an elective on her transcripts *if* it was truly worthy of Latin 1 and she's retained the knowledge.  However, she's not finished a book other than Latina Christiana which I didn't consider sufficient for high school.  So, I'm leery of counting bits and pieces for a credit unless she can prove she's covered enough material.

Although most students don't really retain much if too much time has elapsed.  So if it's been awhile and she doesn't really do all that well on the test you give her, does that really mean she didn't do Latin I?

In my opinion? Yes. She's dabbled enjoy since then she ought have retained most of it if she really learned it. Well see. I think we'll take a few exams today and see how she does. She's a willing, sweet thing, lol, and thinks it is fun. We weren't going to count her Latin at all but if she can pass, then I might as well stick it in there as an elective. ;)

Fwiw Lukeion is pretty stiff. They cover Wheelocks in two years. Don't assume that low scores on their test makes the previous study not worth a credit.

By comparison our local school does Ecce Latina for high school.

Well, hm. She got an 81% on the Latin 2 quiz posted from Lukeion, which is sufficient for credit I would assume, but the biggest problem I have now is grading a class she essentially took her freshman year on a comprehensive score her senior year.

I'd rather leave the credit out entirely than give her a C. She only has one B in the past three years. Bringing down her GPA to put Latin on as a credit is hardly worth it.

When she had the tutor (a local private school Latin teacher) she did very well. It was only six months during the school year though and they had a range of 6th-9th graders in the class, class of 5-6. They used Latin for Young Americans with tidbits out of Wheelocks and Lingua Latina. Does anyone know *anything* about Latin for Young Americans?

Or do I just say pish posh and skip it?

ETA: On the other hand, her brother needs Latin this year. I could have her teach the him with Wheelock's and take the Latin exam in March. I have it sitting on my shelf along with Henle, Lingua, Latina Christiana.. ;) Her brother is pretty quick so they could move along at a good pace. Hm. That might be the best plan.

If it were me, and she couldn't fit in Latin in the coming year, I'd just give her the credit for the freshman class.  And I'd give her the A, if your general impression at the time was that she was doing well.  I certainly wouldn't give her a C.  If the CLASS wasn't all you'd want it to be, that doesn't mean SHE should get a lower grade.  Sounds like she got an A in a class that wasn't all that rigorous.  (You could just give her credit for a semester if you're uncomfortable with calling it a full year.)

It likely isn't going to matter much, though, as long as she's got foreign language credits from something else.  A year of Latin may look interesting for admissions, but isn't going to make or break her getting into college.

But I don't even see where the C comes from -- she got 81 percent on a Latin 2 exam years after the fact?  That looks like a definite A for Latin 1 taken in the freshman year.  80 percent is a pretty standard B -- maybe even down to 75 percent, if the class is hard.