Menu

What phonics reader set(s) do you love? My 6 year old audio learner memorized them . . .

RosieCotton

Hi there,

My 6 year old has memorized many of the SSRW Level 1 set of 17 from when his brother was reading them aloud to me last year. !)#$(*u)$u%

So I need to find a new set for him I think. I might look at grabbing the older versions on eBay for cheap. Not sure what to do or which set to go with.

Chime in with your favorite first grade and second grade phonics readers please.

I've heard good things about AAR but haven't checked which phonograms it teaches yet and at which levels.

We use AAS anyway but the readers are a little spendy. . .

The trouble with phonics readers that we have is that I find the kids tend to guess the words by looking at the pictures.  I've used BOB books, but I have to cover up the pictures.  

I like a book by the Phonics Pathways author called Reading Pathways.  It is a book of sentence pyramids.  No pictures.  :)

It goes something like this

Jan sat

Jan sat on

Jan sat on the cat

Jan sat on the fat red cat

We had the BOB books and one of my ds used the Progressive Phonics readers.  But mostly we just read piles of readers from the library.  We usually did them Progressive Phonics style too - I would just point to his words and read the ones that I knew he didn't know yet myself.

I had the same problem! All three of mine were learning to read at the same time, and I had to employ many different phonics readers, since once they heard any of them, they were memorized.  We ended up with a set of Bob, of course (our least favorite), I See Sam (fantastic, but move too slowly for most of mine), and Nora Gaydos' Now I'm Reading, which were by FAR the fan favorites here.   They're the only ones that my kids still pull off the shelf to read for fun now that they've mostly moved past the phonics reader stage. http://www.innovativekids.com/shop/230/learn-to-read-books

I really like progressive phonics.

The best physical books I've found are the leapfrog "Learn and Love to Read" sets- there are 4 sets, which cover everything from short vowels to digraphs and diphthongs. What makes them special is that the phonograms are highlighted (like "ea") so the child has a visual reminder to sound them out as a team. They are real stories with plots, so they hold the kids attention and aren't dull for me to work with. They are tag books, so if you have the pen, it can help them also, but I use them without the pen. We LOVE them in this house.