Menu

Six Flags Vallejo Homeschool Day

mommybee

Any tips?

I see that they are only open for six hours and I am wondering if you really have a chance to do lots of things in that time. Also has anyone participated in the picnic lunch? Was it overly crowded?

I am thinking of going but have never done a homeschool day before. I have only been once and they will not let you bring in snacks so I am concerned about eating since we have always brought food everywhere we go.

Just looking for some general help and if it's worth it or should I save up for a regular day.

TIA

Ooooh, we have season passes but I somehow missed this announcement! When is it?

I think 6 hours should be plenty of time to enjoy the park, assuming you don't plan to try to hit all the major rides more than once each. A lot of the more carnival-type rides usually have shorter, more manageable lines. When we go we hit the "big" rides (like Medusa and SuperMan) first, then enjoy the other rides at our leisure.

As far as food, how much do your kids eat? My kids are younger, but we'll usually get one of the combo plates from Panda Express and an order of fries from another stand and split that between us.

You could also arrange for you or one of your teens to make a trip out to your car to bring back food to eat in the courtyard area just outside the front gates (you can get your hand stamped for re-entry.)

Hope you have fun! We love 6 Flags. :)

Here is the flyer:

http://www.sixflags.com/discoveryKingdom/assets/pdf/2012SFDK%20Homeschool%20flyer.pdf

They are offering some kind of picnic lunch and I wasn't sure if that was a good deal or not.

Also I will probably only have my 15 yr old and 9yr old with me so probably can't do any of the super big roller coasters with the little one and no one to watch him.

Favorite rides we shouldn't miss? I have only been there once ages ago so I am completely unfamiliar with the rides.

Here is the flyer:

http://www.sixflags.com/discoveryKingdom/assets/pdf/2012SFDK%20Homeschool%20flyer.pdf

They are offering some kind of picnic lunch and I wasn't sure if that was a good deal or not.

Also I will probably only have my 15 yr old and 9yr old with me so probably can't do any of the super big roller coasters with the little one and no one to watch him.

Favorite rides we shouldn't miss? I have only been there once ages ago so I am completely unfamiliar with the rides.

My nine year old can go on all of the big rides, even Medusa. Does your 9 year old not like big coasters? Or is he under 48"?

All of the rides are fun, even the non-roller coaster ones. About the only one I'm not particularly fond of us Kong (the big orange roller coaster) because it knocks your head around, and the "padding" they have on either side of your head isn't very soft. There's also a smaller coaster called Cobra that doesn't go very high or fast, if your DS would like to go on a coaster that's not too scary.

Try Superman! It's really fun, and they generally keep the line moving at a good pace, even though they can only run one car at a time. It's right next to Roar (the wooden roller coaster), so you could do those two back-to-back pretty easily.

Also don't miss visiting the Walrus exhibit! Those big guys are hilarious. :)

The offerings listed don't seem very appealing to me for $13. There is a soda machine in the candy shop near the gates that can make what feels like a 1000 varieties. I got diet grape sprite last time we were there. You know, if you like that kind of thing.

As far as rides... My ten year old loves Thrilla Gorilla, Monkey Business, Scat-a-bout (Family Rides)and the Cobra roller coaster.

We all enjoy looking at the animals, especially the rescue and recovery section.

ETA: The water rafting one is a lot of fun but Nov will probably be too cold for that.

The offerings listed don't seem very appealing to me for $13. There is a soda machine in the candy shop near the gates that can make what feels like a 1000 varieties. I got diet grape sprite last time we were there. You know, if you like that kind of thing.

As far as rides... My ten year old loves Thrilla Gorilla, Monkey Business, Scat-a-bout (Family Rides)and the Cobra roller coaster.

We all enjoy looking at the animals, especially the rescue and recovery section.

ETA: The water rafting one is a lot of fun but Nov will probably be too cold for that.

They usually have the water rides completely drained during the winter, so they won't be running at all. Also, the children's playground near the rear of the park is also typically closed in the winter time. (but then probably only your 9 year old would be interested in that area, and there aren't any really exciting rides back there).

My 4 year old LOVES Thrilla Gorilla!

It's so empty on HS day! I don't think we stood in a line longer than 15 minutes.  The only warning is that the date they have it can be sketchy weather wise.  Some years it's totally great weather, and others we get early rain storms.  I never buy our tickets in advanced, even though they're cheaper.

We go every year!  It's always on the 11th (it's my brother-in-laws b-day...that's how I know!).  It is so awesome because you can get in line for a ride, wait only a few minutes, ride it, then by the time you go back up into the line again, it is almost your turn again.  We won't go when it is the "regular" time because it is too crowded (we have little ones, so it is a pain when you are surrounded by the "government school" crowd with their foul language and butts showing!)

Have fun!  Maybe we will pass each other in the crowd!

:)

Hot Lava Mama