Menu

What are your favorite peanut-free foods? Advice for peanut-free class

MSNative

I just found out I have a child with peanut allergies in a cooking class I am teaching.  Actually, several kids have different allergies but the peanut one is the scariest.  I know the obvious foods to stay away from but I'm nervous about other products that might have been made in factories with peanuts or foods that a non-allergic person just wouldn't think about.  Anyone willing to share the names of some go to products and brands?  Is there a reliable site to go to that will let me know that certain products are safe?   Here are a few of the ingredients I'm looking at using that I'm not sure about but there will be more as the class goes on.

Coconut - both shredded and flour

Almond meal (mom said she is only allergic to peanuts but I'm rethinking even using this.  Is there a good alternative?)

Seeds - all sorts- flax, sunflower, chia, etc.  

Oatmeal

Dried fruits

I'd also appreciate any other guidelines that you would give the teacher in this situation.  Pretend it's your kid.  What detailed specifics would you give the teacher?  

Thank you!

She's anaphylactic or just allergic? I'd talk to the mom and get her take, because every child is different. My anaphylactic child doesn't eat food prepared outside of our (safe) kitchen. But another child may not react to cross contamination as sensitively and not need the same precautions. If she carries an epi pen, make sure you know how to use it. You would have someone calling 911 while you do the shot. A shot is an ambulance ride. You never wait to see before giving an epi. Time really matters. The mom should go over all that with you.

Generally, call companies and ask if their product is produced on shared equipment with peanuts/peanut containing products.

I got some shredded coconut the Walmart carried that was safe when I called. I can't remember the name! But, basically, just call and ask about what you can find locally. If there are no safe local options, Tropical Traditions Coconut products, last time I checked, were safe for my tree nut ana son. They were safe for peanut too at the time. Do call, because things can change.

We don't do tree nuts, obviously, but your best bet is to find a company that specializes in only almond products and carries no other lines. Then call them and ask about cross contamination in production. Finding tree nut stuff without peanut cross might be hard, I'm not sure.

The advice on seeds and dried fruits would be the same as the almond meal. Your best bet is a company that specializes in a particular seed type product. I'll just mention Spectrum brand--they will talk about flushing their lines after bottling peanut and similar probably. I've heard horror stories and wouldn't trust their products no matter what they tell you. We use Sunbutter here, if you're looking for a safe alternative to peanut butter in recipes.

Oatmeal. We use Quaker oats--just the plain oats. Call of course. They are good about labeling cross, but do call. We couldn't safely use any of their prepared stuff if I recall, but our allergies are different.

You didn't mention chocolate but Hershey's is very good about labeling for any chance of cross contamination. All the plain chocolate bars and chocolate chips I've seen from them are safe. But I always read the labels! You can trust Hershey labels.

You're using pricey food ingredients in your class! Just call the companies...assuming the mom wants you to stay away from cross contamination.

If it were my son (who has had anaphylaxis to even small amounts of cross contamination, but only consumed items).

1. He couldn't cook with his actual anaphylactic ingredients (tree nut, sesame, mango here). I know as an allergy mom, I don't want my son's stuff to complicate things so I wouldn't want him in a class were those ingredients had been planned, even if the teacher was willing to change plans. I'm sure this mom doesn't want you to be inconvenienced.

2. I wouldn't worry about his other allergens, or even potential cross contamination honestly because....

3. He wouldn't be eating the food prepared there. The problem is that cooking utensils and cookware can have enough residue, even after washing at least in some cases, for a reaction.  Beyond that, there could be peanut residue from home on hands of kids. So my son just doesn't eat things prepared outside our kitchen. I'm guess your student's allergy isn't that severe, or the mom would have already talked to you about it. If she's anaphylactic, I'd be nervous about her eating the food no matter how careful I was! But kids really do vary in sensitivity. Obviously, my experiences with my own child would shape my concerns about another, even if they shouldn't!

edited to add: someone mentioned this down thread but I thought I'd add it anyway. Companies by law are not required to label for cross contamination with allergens. So that's why calls to the companies (whether by you or mom or both, depending on your comfort level) are important.

I think that the parent of a peanut allergic kid in a cooking class (!) should have discussed this with you before signing the child up for the class! Find out how severe the allergy is - for some no peanuts/peanut butter is fine, but for others . . . Just small traces can cause a serious reaction.

Even if the parent says it isn't serious I would be concerned.  Peanut allergies tend to get worse over time and what was a mild reaction at first can be anaphylactic the next time.

I would never sign my peanut allergic son up for a cooking class.  That is way out of my comfort zone.  As far as the foods you listed I would be cautious.  Coconut, almonds, seeds, dried fruit, etc are often cross contaminated.  You should call each company, or better yet have the parent do it, to make sure they are safe.  Don't rely on labels because they are not required to put possible cross contamination, it is up to each company.  Seriously, I would talk to the parent and work through your plans with them.  They should know what is safe or not.  I would also insist on having an epi-pen on hand during in the class just in case.

If I were the teacher, I would want to look at all the food allergic kids' current, signed, dated allergy action plans in advance to decide if I could shoulder the responsibility of preparing food for them before getting too involved with menu details. (Also, if someone showed up to class for some reason without a drug that was listed on their AAP that also contained the word "anaphylaxis", I would, without a doubt, not allow him/her to attend.)

The above notices to parents about AAPs show that you are pretty serious about safeguarding your students as well as yourself.

First of all, thank you on behalf of allergy kids/parents for being flexible enough to include this child in your class. It is a rare experience for a food allergy kid to be able to experience such a class safely! Definitely find out first of all how severe the child's reactions are and how sensitive the allergy is. Food allergy symptoms can range from a skin rash to stomach problems to asthma reactions to full anaphylaxis. Sensitivity can range from airborne to skin contact to actual consumption as far as what is necessary to set off a reaction. Nut protein is very sticky and can remain on utensils even after going through a dishwasher, so if a child is very sensitive this could pose a problem. I imagine if the child is this sensitive the mom wouldn't have signed her up for such a class, but I would certainly check to be sure.

As far as the ingredients you listed, the oatmeal shouldn't be a problem to find, but the others would all require careful label checking or a call to the manufacturer. I personally would be uncomfortable with the almond meal especially because of cross contamination. Occasionally I find tree nut products that are produced in a peanut free facility that my son is allowed to have.

Personally, I would allow my son to take part in a class if the ingredients were peanut free, but I would have to remain there for peace of mind. Obviously, all the children will be washing hands for a cooking activity, but I might remind any who had eaten peanuts/peanut butter to be extra thorough.

First of all - wow! I am getting a glimpse into what y'all go through every meal, snack, etc. every day.  This is def. giving me more respect and understanding for what y'all are going through.  

Thank you for all the great advice. The child is so sweet and I want her in the class IF I can make sure she is safe.  I will call the mom today and talk to her about what y'all have mentioned.  

She did say she wanted to look at the labels before class which is not a problem for me but I will def. be calling companies this week.  I'm surprised they aren't required to list cross contamination!  That is crazy.  

I am covered by the facility's insurance but I'm going to check if they have anything specific they require me to do for something like this. I hadn't heard of an allergy action plan but I bet that is something they'll want and I certainly want it. I'm going to follow your advice to a T and get a copy of this and make sure I have the meds each class or the child won't be allowed in class.  

I was concerned about residue once she talked to me.  I had bought all new utensils except for two glass mixing bowls.  I had my helper scrubbing those down for the entire first half of class.  I will be buying all new bowls/containers, now.

I say talk directly to the parents prior to the first class and keep them in the loop. Maybe you should be asking THEM for suggestions since they know what their child CAN'T stand to be around. There are various degrees of allergy (some of which I understand to be progressive) that I can't pretend to understand or know enough about.

A couple years ago, my 6yo cousin was in Kg with a boy with severe allergy to peanuts. As in, if someone in the room ate peanuts, the kid might go to the hospital. Or the morgue. The students were asked NOT to eat peanut butter for breakfast/lunch and asked to wash their mouths, hands if they did.

I know a girl who was allergic to peanut butter but loved the taste so she ate it often, but got really, really bad rashes. (She was ~10 when she was staying with us and didn't tell us she was allergic. She was fine, just covered in a rash.

If this child has a peanut allergy, I would stay far, far, away from ANY recipes with ANY type of  nuts.  I would also insist that the other children in the class wash hands *as they come in the door*, to prevent any residue from carrying into the class.  Call it basic kitchen hygiene, if you like. 

Also does this child have/need/know how to use an Epi-pen, inhaler, or other meds?  Is the child old enough to recognize the various signs of an allergic reaction in themselves, or is the parent depending on *you*  to recognize the child's reaction and administer emergency meds if necessary?  I can't stress how important this could be...

Not trying to freak anyone out, just speaking as a mom who has been to the ER with allergic child, on account of someone else's "whoops!".  Everything turned out okay in the end, BUT the whole thing could have been avoided if the adult in charge had actually listened to info I gave her...

Anyway, thank you to the OP for working so hard to make this a good, safe experience for the girl and her family. 

I am covered by the facility's insurance but I'm going to check if they have anything specific they require me to do for something like this. I hadn't heard of an allergy action plan but I bet that is something they'll want and I certainly want it. I'm going to follow your advice to a T and get a copy of this and make sure I have the meds each class or the child won't be allowed in class.

I was concerned about residue once she talked to me. I had bought all new utensils except for two glass mixing bowls. I had my helper scrubbing those down for the entire first half of class. I will be buying all new bowls/containers, now.

This is the standard AAP form for the US (I don't know about other countries). AAPs are rudimentary -- a parent of a child at risk for anaphylaxis probably should not wince when asked about theirs.

See the two big sections on p.1 with things that can be checked?

SEVERE SYMPTOMS [ ] If checked, give epinephrine immediately if the allergen was definitely eaten, even if there are no symptoms.

MILD SYMPTOMS [ ] If checked, give epinephrine immediately for ANY symptoms if the allergy was likely eaten.

I'd want to see on the AAP what both the doctor and parent say about these two particular conditions. If nothing is checked, please realize the parents have formally left it in your hands to not only recognize an emergent situation, but to decide what to do about it, within seconds in the worst cases. If bad things hit the fan, afterwards, the most potentially damaging question (to you) will be did the adult(s) in charge follow the AAP? (This is why AAPs are so rudimentary ...) If a parent claims food allergy but does not want to produce an AAP, I would have a hard time deciding how and when I should help their child in a crisis -- and with what??

Since residue is a concern, I'll pass on that some soaps and liquid handsoaps (particularly those with "natural" or "botanicals" labeling) contain nut oils or legume extracts.

I think you're doing a nice thing and are asking all the right questions and that you will have a lovely class.

I would start by looking at the recipes that you were planning to use originally and then look for nut-free products for those ingredients.  If you need a particular substitution, one go-to brand is Enjoy Life, but it really depends on the ingredient. Honestly, I have not found the nut allergy to be particularly difficult when it comes to cooking in our house - I guess I tend to avoid types of ingredients that are likely to be cross-contaminated just by what my kids don't like (or maybe I've been doing it for so long that I just don't notice? lol). Adding in other types of food allergies besides nuts, then yes, it can get tricky. Chocolate chips is still the trickiest one for what I tend to bake as the labels are all a little different.

Why not regular wheat flour? Is there a wheat allergy (maybe harder to work around that one than peanut)? I would not use almond flour with a nut-allergic kid. 50% of people with peanut allergy will also be allergic to tree nuts. (E.g., my ds has been peanut-allergic since he was 1 y.o. but it wasn't until 9 y.o. that allergies showed up to all tree nuts, sunflower and sesame seed)

I agree that dried fruit and seeds are likely to be cross-contaminated with nuts. Coconut is weird one - technically a tree nut but often not a problem for allergy; cross-contamination needs to be checked. (Oddly, last spring my ds ate coconut without issue and then two days later happened to have a skin test - coconut turned up positive)

What a project. It is nice that you're taking the time to do all this; I'd have the mom help as much as possible.