Menu

Best quick way to lose weight

klmama

I thought I'd exercise a lot this summer and lose my extra 10 pounds.  Well, I must not have exercised enough because now it's an extra 15.  This is not good for heading into winter!  So, I'm exercising more, and I'm trying to eat fewer grains and no sugar.  Nothing is happening.  I guess I've reached the point where weight doesn't come off easily anymore.  Given what I'm already doing, what else would you do to lose 10-15 pounds before Thanksgiving?   Is that even possible?

It's possible.  You can't exercise your way out of a bad diet.  You have to cut way back on portions and make sure the food you do eat is nutrient dense.  No sugar or simple carbs like white flour, corn, and even artificial sweeteners which aren't good for you anyway.  Eat lots of fruits and veggies, preferably fresh, good protein, and drink lots of water.  Have you tried writing down what you eat, what time, what amounts?  Sometimes we eat more than we think we do.

You will get varying advice, I'm sure, but the above tips have helped me.

My mom lost 30 pound by eating teo egg white with one piece of lightly buttered toast for breakfast, then a lean meat with one or two steamed vegetables for lunch and dinner. Nothing fried, no butter on anything but the toast. She drank 32#ounces of water per day and one cup of black coffee. She was advised to only exercise 30 minutes per day during the dieting phase because supposedly too much exercise can disrupt hormones. She used a weight loss center; I do not remenber the name but can ask her if you would like. She was in her late 70's when she lost the weight, so I think this program could work for anyone since an older woman's metabolism is pretty slow.

If you wanted to do grain free or paleo, just substitute melon or berries for the morning toast, I think. I'm not a paleo expert so I just guessed on the substitution.

Good luck; I hope this helps.

Ideal Protein.  It's a medically supervised, low carb, normal protein, low calorie diet.  I'm an IP coach.  It works, it's fast, it's safe, it's easy.  Let me know if you have questions.  :001_smile:

Ideal Protein

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet

And the pp is correct.  Exercise, while great for fitness, has very little value in weight loss. 

I can't tell you how many times I have seen people post that they were shocked to get on the scale and see that they LOST weight after taking in more calories by eating healthy fats. Fat is not your enemy. I know this sounds counter intuitive, but it really works.

I lost 60 lbs doing the hcg diet. It's not a diet for someone losing just 15 lbs. But the maintenance end of the diet is low carb/higher healthy fats. I continued to lose weight while eating 2200 calories a day, and limiting my carbs to two slices of whole wheat bread and the carbs that were in my veggies. Approx 60 carbs per day. I did not count fat grams or choke down anything low-fat. Easiest diet in the world to follow, especially if you like meat. If you can grow it, pick it or kill it, you can eat it.

I was not a big meat eater before doing this diet. If I ate meat once a week that was a lot. Now I eat it every day. I eat eggs every day, whole fat cheeses, butter and sauces. My bad cholesterol went WAY down and I was no longer on the verge of diabetes. I only use coconut oil, olive oil and real butter. Nothing fake. My doctor told me not to do the diet when I first presented her with it. She said 1200 calories a day, restrict fat intake blah blah blah. I went home and started the diet anyway. I went back in 3 months, 30 lbs lighter, and my labs were wonderful. She was shocked and asked me for a copy of the diet.

It's possible.  You can't exercise your way out of a bad diet.  You have to cut way back on portions and make sure the food you do eat is nutrient dense.  No sugar or simple carbs like white flour, corn, and even artificial sweeteners which aren't good for you anyway.  Eat lots of fruits and veggies, preferably fresh, good protein, and drink lots of water.  Have you tried writing down what you eat, what time, what amounts?  Sometimes we eat more than we think we do.

You will get varying advice, I'm sure, but the above tips have helped me.

And you may have to give up fruit until you reach your goal weight.

...And a book recommendation

Why We Get Fat and What to do about It

Just to clarify, I agree with the others that a low carb, higher fat, normal protein diet is the best diet for weight loss.  The Ideal Protein Diet I mentioned above is basically this type of diet.  The foods contain a very highly bioactive protein, so that you are able to get maximum nutrition with a minimum of calories, which really accelerates loss.  In general, low calorie diets really aren't the way to go, as you're hungry all the time and they just aren't sustainable.  Even if you do lose weight by cutting calories, people generally gain it right back. 

But with IP, the foods are very filling, you aren't hungry, don't have cravings.  It's ketogenic, just as all low carb diets are.  When your body is in ketosis, you are burning fat instead of carbs, and your insulin and blood sugar stabilizes, so you don't have spikes creating hunger and cravings. 

In general, I recommend any low carb high fat diet.  Ideal Protein has the advantage of being supervised (weekly weigh ins and monitoring) which provides great accountability, and it is very simple as most of the food is already prepared for you. 

I hate to say it but there is not a "best quick way to lose weight."  Sustainable weight loss is a lifestyle change where you work on portion control and making better choices *most* of the time.  I recommend eating at a calorie deficit, logging your food at a place like myfitnesspal.com, and when you eat measure everything (at first).  Check out myfitnesspal.com where there is tons of support, stories from those who have btdt, and lots of information on sustainable weight loss.  Beware of extreme diets, programs that promise a lot of weight loss in little time, and diets that have you cutting out entire food groups if you want to avoid the trap of gaining back the weight you lose.  Good luck!

I've been following the 5:2 diet since 29 April & have lost 25 lbs so far, with no exercise.  I do more of a 4:3, but I've been surprised with how easily my weight has fallen off & I haven't felt deprived at all.  There is a great FB 5:2 group that has been a good source of info for me & an on-line support group.  It only took me 8 weeks to lose 15 lbs.

JMHO

I do not lose weight quickly. I'm still holding onto 17 pounds of baby weight (and he is 18 months). Tried low carb- wasn't successful. I've been doing the thyroid solution diet (even though I've never had my thyroid tested)- I lost 4 pounds last week. I enjoy the program and will stick with it. I hope to have good results this week too.

Good luck!

Thanks, everyone. I usually eat pretty healthy foods, but I'll take another look at exactly what and how much I'm eating.

My 10 turned into 15 as well. I started yesterday just trying to get a handle on what I am eating. In my case I think I am a carb addict and I have trouble with portion control. If I like it I want more. I did ok yesterday.... Only carbs I had was the brown rice with my chicken gumbo. It isn't easy though.

I am loosely following the 17 day diet....it is so strict I can't do it 100%....but it is a rapid weight loss program.

Are you taking your measurements as well as your weight?  You could be slimming down but building muscle depending on the type of exercise you are doing.  I know how frustrating these pesky 10-15 pounds are.  I've been cheating too much on my low carb lifestyle (been living low carb and maintaining a 60lb loss for 6 years now) and those 10 lbs crept on.  I've had to rededicate to the earlier phase and drop my carbs way down.

If you are truly only 10-15 pounds above a healthy weight for height/build, you will probably find that nothing will take those pounds off quickly.  People that have a lot more weight to take off seem to lose the same number of pounds quicker.

Tossing out something I have experienced, but have no medical knowledge to back it up. Be forewarned, it sounds like bunk. :lol:

Water. Drink lots of water. I read somewhere that when we diet and lose weight, the fat (or something) is, uh, 'expelled' through our urine. I normally don't drink much, but when I drink lots of water, I do notice faster weight loss (several pounds the first week, then 1-2 pounds for a few weeks, then a bit less...) When I 'diet', my food is measured, so I know it's not just fewer calories, or being 'full'.... I eat the same, but if I don't drink that water, I don't lose as much.

As I said, it sounds like bunk, but there it is.

Oh, and I also noticed that where I am in my cycle matters. A lot.

If you are truly only 10-15 pounds above a healthy weight for height/build, you will probably find that nothing will take those pounds off quickly.  People that have a lot more weight to take off seem to lose the same number of pounds quicker.

This--- this is why with the water thing, I lose more that first week, then taper off. I noticed that when I needed to lose more weight, it came off faster, but the closer I got to my 'ideal' weight, the slower the weight came off. 

Tossing out something I have experienced, but have no medical knowledge to back it up. Be forewarned, it sounds like bunk. :lol:

Water. Drink lots of water. I read somewhere that when we diet and lose weight, the fat (or something) is, uh, 'expelled' through our urine. I normally don't drink much, but when I drink lots of water, I do notice faster weight loss (several pounds the first week, then 1-2 pounds for a few weeks, then a bit less...) When I 'diet', my food is measured, so I know it's not just fewer calories, or being 'full'.... I eat the same, but if I don't drink that water, I don't lose as much.

As I said, it sounds like bunk, but there it is.

Oh, and I also noticed that where I am in my cycle matters. A lot.

This--- this is why with the water thing, I lose more that first week, then taper off. I noticed that when I needed to lose more weight, it came off faster, but the closer I got to my 'ideal' weight, the slower the weight came off.

I am not even overweight. I just want to get back to a thinner me....I feel so much better there. Plus if I keep letting it crep up I WILL be over weight.

The best way to lose weight is not to do it quickly.  It is completely healthy and possible to lose 1 pound a week though.  I do Weight Watchers and the only weeks I lose weight are the weeks I follow the healthy eating guidelines AND exercise at least 30 minutes a day for five days.  If I eat scrupulously carefully but don't exercise or religiously exercise but don't eat well, I will not lose.  I would bet money on it.  I have to eat well and exercise.  

Personally, I recommend Weight Watchers, but that isn't an option or doesn't work for some people.

Right.  Between now and Thanksgiving that would be 11 pounds!  I would be very, very happy with that.

I don't think you need any special diet or to give up any particular food to lose 1lb/week, unless perhaps you have a medical condition. I ate tons of food while losing weight, although of course in the beginning I went to bed hungry a few times because I hadn't learned to control my early day time portions yet.

I set myfitnesspal (which has apps and, if you have a smartphone, you can even scan food barcodes right in) to lose 1lb/week and that is exactly what I did, while eating back SOME of my exercise calories. I eat chocolate every day. Calories in and out are always an estimate so if you don't do your best to make sure you measure accurately, you may or may not see results. 

I am definitely not someone who can simply eat healthy food and maintain a healthy weight. I just have to pay a lot of attention to calories. I was surprised to learn how much control I have over my weight. I am 17 weeks pregnant right now and have gained maybe a pound... usually I am 20lbs up by this point. Some people find calorie counting tedious but I've done it long enough to find it liberating. I am in control of my weight.

The best quick way to lose weight is fasting. Walk slowly for three hours a day and just don't consume anything with calories for a few days.  You'll probably drop 25 pounds in less than 5 days, then immediately gain back ten when you start eating again (because of water weight and food in your digestive tract), leaving you 15 pounds lighter.

The only time that has failed to work for me is when I was on prednisone.

I have lost three pounds since Monday just by cutting out almost all carbs.

Congrats!! I wish low carb worked for me. Low carb makes me *feel* better (i.e. less sluggish), but I don't lose weight. Dh, on the other hand, loses weight like crazy when he goes low carb. Sigh.

Keep it up! :thumbup1:

Congrats!! I wish low carb worked for me. Low carb makes me *feel* better (i.e. less sluggish), but I don't lose weight. Dh, on the other hand, loses weight like crazy when he goes low carb. Sigh.

Keep it up! :thumbup1:

Yes I feel better too off the carbs....after the initial detox that is. I CRAVE carbs.

The best way to lose weight is not to do it quickly.  It is completely healthy and possible to lose 1 pound a week though.  I do Weight Watchers and the only weeks I lose weight are the weeks I follow the healthy eating guidelines AND exercise at least 30 minutes a day for five days.  If I eat scrupulously carefully but don't exercise or religiously exercise but don't eat well, I will not lose.  I would bet money on it.  I have to eat well and exercise.  

Personally, I recommend Weight Watchers, but that isn't an option or doesn't work for some people.

Exactly my thoughts. 1 pound a week is not "quick," it's the moderate, recommended rate. And it is completely do-able!

I am also in Weight Watchers. My most successful weeks are when I track what I'm eating. Even when I go over my Points, or I don't want to track something, I do better if I go ahead and track honestly. It gives me a moment to pause and reconsider before I head back into the kitchen to eat something else I don't need. This is something that's universal. It can be free, and not very time-consuming (at first it may take a little more time but it gets easier!). Whether you count Points or calories or whatever, tracking/journaling works. I used SparkPeople when I wasn't doing Weight Watchers. That's a great program! And it will help you determine a good calorie range to aim for each day. 

Another trick that worked for me at different points was deciding to stop eating after a certain time, like 7. After 7 is when I do most of my emotional/unnecessary eating. It made it so easy to know I wouldn't eat anything after that point. I'm not doing that now but I remember it being helpful when I did it.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I need to lose 15-20 kg weight but how and where to start?Any helpful sites or plans?

Once I tried,but felt weakness and dropped my diet plan.if anyone here,could help me with successful diet plans and easy workouts for getting flatter belly,reduce my thighs,shoulders and upper arms ......

Waiting for your guidance...............

I thought I'd exercise a lot this summer and lose my extra 10 pounds.  Well, I must not have exercised enough because now it's an extra 15.  This is not good for heading into winter!  So, I'm exercising more, and I'm trying to eat fewer grains and no sugar.  Nothing is happening.  I guess I've reached the point where weight doesn't come off easily anymore.  Given what I'm already doing, what else would you do to lose 10-15 pounds before Thanksgiving?   Is that even possible?

Eat only when physically hungry and stop before full.  I've lost 30+ pounds three times in my life doing this.  The pounds fly off.  The hard part is actually doing it and sticking to it, but it does work.  [Note: Some will likely now pipe in and call this starvation and say this ruins metabolism. I disagree, so thought I might as well say so up front since I don't know if I'll be able to get back here to reply. Our bodies typically* do not need as much food as we act like they need.] [*leaving room for the few for whom this might not be the case.]

I've been following the 5:2 diet since 29 April & have lost 25 lbs so far, with no exercise.  I do more of a 4:3, but I've been surprised with how easily my weight has fallen off & I haven't felt deprived at all.  There is a great FB 5:2 group that has been a good source of info for me & an on-line support group.  It only took me 8 weeks to lose 15 lbs.

JMHO

I'm on the 5:2 diet too.  My weight loss has not been that fast.  I started off at 144 pounds and am now down to 134.  I lost most of the weight in the first six months, but I'm still losing slowly.  I find the diet very easy to stick to and the 'light' days seem to retrain my body over time to not reach for so much on the 'normal' days.

L

I've been doing Body By You (bodyweight training book for women) for about 2 months, and low carb/high fat+sort-of-paleo diet for a month or so. I've only lost about 3 lbs since I started, but I've dropped 2 pants sizes. I can see the physical difference, as can others, and I'm much stronger. I'm also not nearly as hungry since cutting way back on carbs and sugar.

I didn't look at the date of the OP and thought the question of how to lose 10-15 pounds by Thanksgiving was asked today. My first thought was "stomach virus."

OP here.  I'd like to skip that suggestion, if you don't mind!   I have a couple of friends and relatives who have lost all their extra weight in the past year, but I don't want to follow them down the serious illness path.  I haven't lost any, but I do feel better. I guess my efforts haven't been a complete loss.

I'm on the 5:2 diet too.  My weight loss has not been that fast.  I started off at 144 pounds and am now down to 134.  I lost most of the weight in the first six months, but I'm still losing slowly.  I find the diet very easy to stick to and the 'light' days seem to retrain my body over time to not reach for so much on the 'normal' days.

L

I'm still following the 5:2 way of eating & after 29 weeks have lost 15kgs (33 lbs).  I have dropped from 168.5 lbs to 135.4 lbs.  I have dropped from a tight size 14/16 in jeans to a comfortable, almost loose, size 10.  I have gone from obese in the charts to just into the normal range for my bone size.  I still want to lose another 10-15 lbs to be solidly in the normal range.  I am still losing a pound a week on average.  I have tons more energy & confidence.  I have not added in any exercise outside of what I get through my normal lifestyle, but I feel much more fit just the same.  

Google "5:2 diet" or check out the 5:2 diet group on FB.  I was surprised at how easy my weight loss has been & where I've lost inches.  I have a trim waist again & my thighs & arms are much slimmer as well.  If I added in regular core exercise I'm sure my body would be firmer, but at the moment my energy & focus is needed elsewhere more.  

Whatever you decide to do to lose the weight, look at it as a long-term change for life, not a quick fix.  

JMHO

I didn't look at the date of the OP and thought the question of how to lose 10-15 pounds by Thanksgiving was asked today. My first thought was "stomach virus."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember once having a very nasty stomach virus, and as soon as I felt better, I was sure I must have lost quite a bit of weight. I got on the scale, feeling all hopeful, and I'd only lost a pound.

I felt so cheated.

One Measly Pound.

:glare: