Menu

Question for Rod and Staff English users and placement

Blessed with seven

We did 4th and 5th last year and the differences are minimal. 5th had more to the definitions. So it got more detailed about adverbs and had specific words explaining different kinds of them. 4th talked about adverbs. The work was slightly harder.

I think it is thorough and I would just start at grade level. There is enough oral work to slow down difficult concepts. I didn't let my younger skip any grades even though 4th/5th is so similar. It's good stuff, so we just do grade level

Assuming this is an average child that does not struggle and reads well for his age, the 5 book ought to be fine. If a particular concept is proving difficult it's very easy to spread a lesson across two days to give it more time to sink in.

Eta: This school year I'm on my third kid to use the 5 book. It's very age appropriate for the average kid.

My 5th grader is in her first year of homeschooling. As far as I can tell, her grammar instruction in ps has been pretty light. We are in the first chapter and are really noticing how little she has been taught.

That said, beginning in chapter 3, each part of speech has it's own chapter with thorough introduction. While the first two chapters may require some slowing down to work through them, I feel the rest will be easier on us because it's explained in depth. The stuff we're working on now is explained well, but it's her first introduction to some of it.

Even with it being difficult, I would not have moved down a level. I think this is only hard now, because she has never been exposed to this level of grammar study. I am happy we chose English 5 for her and feel she will do well with it even with no prior R&S under her belt.

When my son was in 5th, we started with the fourth grade book. The first chapter was grueling--all about subjects and predicates and my son struggled really badly. But then the second chapter kicked in with much simpler concepts.

This is happening again with my 2nd child. It looks like each R&S book is laid out the same way--thee first chapter is always about subjects and predicates and confuses kids when they first run into them. But starting in the 2nd chapter it gets back to familiar territory that kids have seen before.

So if you start and it's terribly confusing just push through to chapter 2 (maybe take 2 days per lesson) when it should start getting easier.

Another Rod and Staff question, getting cold feet.  For one who is NOT good in English Grammar, Composition, is Rod and Staff easy to teach??  I mean this is really, really not my area at all!!!  So..if the kids have questions I need to be able to look at the book and easily be able to figure it out.

Thanks!!

I have been going back and forth between wanting to do Rod and Staff and feeling like we should just do Analytical Grammar.

I have not studied grammar since sixth grade and I have been able to teach R&S grammar without any problems.  The lessons are very incremental - they only teach one concept per lesson - and the lessons as written in the student book are very clear and include many examples.  If that isn't enough, there is a scripted teaching portion in the TM, but I haven't needed it yet.  The answers for all of the oral and written student work are in the TM, they don't leave you guessing.