Menu

Anyone here from Reston, Va area - we're traveling there in Sept and

My hubby has to travel there for work every now and again. He said DC was an hour away...ever been? Use the metro to get around! If you are willing to do some driving, there is Mt. Vernon and Monticello, Manassas (sp.?) battle field and Chancelorville.. Laray Caverns is in West Virginia. You can get a train (or used to be able to) to Baltimore - go to inner harbor.

??

Luray Caverns is in Virginia -- near Harrisonburg

You can take a drive down Skyline Drive to get there and it's just gorgeous -- if you don't mind driving in mountains!

I agree with the above poster about taking Metro to get into DC. The closest metro station is likely Vienna.

Just listen to the TV or radio for traffic reports. It used to be that you only found traffic on the weekdays during rush hour ... now, there are so many people in Northern Virginia that you can have a traffic jam at 11 o'clock at night or on a Saturday afternoon .. especially during the summer.

There's an air and space museum near Dulles airport (which is just down the road from Reston) .. I haven't been there yet, though!

Almost forgot! Harper's Ferry is in West Virginia -- and that's a very interesting field trip if you've studied the abolition movement and slavery (John Brown, etc.)

They've re-created the town and it's a neat place to visit -- I haven't been there in years (not since I was a kid myself) ... *makes a note to visit soon*!

I'm looking for things to do with two boys (ages 10 & 14) in addition to DC. Also, is Reston too far way from DC to drive (will we sit in traffic for hours)? Is there anything else that might be interesting?

Many thanks,

Karen

Reston has buses that run to the Metro and the wonders downtown. But it's also not too far from Dulles Airport where the Smithsonian has a branch of the Air and Space Museum. If you're into Natural History and being able to handle samples, try the Naturalist Center (Smithsonian) in Leesburg.

If you want to head towards the Shenandoah Valley and Shenandoah National Park, you'll be going counter to rush hour traffic, but it'll still take a hour or so to the nearest points.

DC twice already and could go to some of the museums again but this trip to VA wasn't really planned and we'd rather do other things. You all mentioned some ideas I didn't even know were within driving distance so thank you. I don't mind driving in the mountains at all - we live in the mountains - driving in traffic/cities gives me far more stress!

Karen